April 24, 2014, 03:36:00 AM

Author Topic: 1DX+128GB+64GB buffer/write issues  (Read 1130 times)

jaayres20

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Joshua Ayres Photography
1DX+128GB+64GB buffer/write issues
« on: October 04, 2013, 10:24:21 AM »
I have a 1XD and mostly shoot weddings.  During a wedding I had a Lexar Professional 128GB 800x card and a SanDisk 64GB Extreme Pro 90mbs.  I was shooting RAW to the Lexar and JPEG to the SanDisk.  About 2000 pictures into the day I went to review a series of images I had just taken and could not because the camera was busy writing to the cards.  I do not spray and pray so I was confused as to what was happening.  The buffer never did clear and I took the risk of trying to shut the camera off.  Next a spinning graphic along with the message that the camera was still trying to write 14 files to the cards came up on the LCD screen.  I let it be for about 5 minutes and then felt that I had to move on with the day and wasn't really willing to stop using my 1DX.  I took the battery out and put it back in and was able to review the images and sure enough I had lost the 14 pictures it was trying to write.  It wasn't a huge deal because I had already retaken them with my 5D3.  I was able to take pictures again but I noticed that the red buffer light stayed on continuously.  I found out that the 64GB card was causing the issue so I swapped it out and continued without any issues.  My question is that do you thing the issues was with the camera or card(s).  I feel like I shouldn't have these issues with expensive cameras and nicer, newer cards.  However I know that crap happens.     

canon rumors FORUM

1DX+128GB+64GB buffer/write issues
« on: October 04, 2013, 10:24:21 AM »

Menace

• 1D Mark IV
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
Re: 1DX+128GB+64GB buffer/write issues
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »
You are right that it shouldn't happen - couple of possibilities come to mined: faulty card or 1Dx not liking two different branded cards for some reason.

Have you managed to replicate the issue since the wedding shoot?
1Dx | 5D III
50 1.2L | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Jim Saunders

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 06:37:55 PM »
IIRC there is another recent thread about a Sandisk card packing it in; The signs it gave were similar to yours.

Jim
I'd probably do better to invest more time and less money.

jaayres20

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 10:56:54 AM »
You are right that it shouldn't happen - couple of possibilities come to mined: faulty card or 1Dx not liking two different branded cards for some reason.

Have you managed to replicate the issue since the wedding shoot?

Not yet.  The only times I have had issues with cards they have been SanDisk.  Could be a coincidence but I am thinking about only using Lexar cards now.   

jaayres20

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 03:37:58 PM »
So I had this issue repeat with the same card so I was thinking it is a card issue.  I am sending it back to SanDisk for a replacement.  However, I was at a wedding last Saturday evening with a Lexar Professional 128GB card in one slot and a Lexar Professional 32GB card in the other slot.  I had the the same issue where the buffer could not or would not clear.  I shut the camera off and took out the battery.  When I turned everything back on I had obviously lost the images still writing to the buffer but I could shoot again but the buffer light continued to stay on.  I kept shooting for a little bit and noticed the cameras was slower to write to the cards and the buffer continued to stay on.  It was like it was busy doing something and if I pushed it too much it would freeze up on me.  I decided to swap out cameras and use my 5D3 for the rest of the reception (which is so slow in comparison to the 1DX).  After I copied my cards to the computer I formated them and put them back in the camera and the buffer returned to normal.  I even shot an engagement session with no problems.  I either have 3 bad professional grade CF cards or something is wrong with my 1DX.  Any thoughts?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 03:37:58 PM »