September 21, 2014, 10:31:28 PM

Author Topic: How tightly do you frame your shots & and do you crop?  (Read 13796 times)

takesome1

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: How tightly do you frame your shots & and do you crop?
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 04:06:04 PM »
Why do you have to 'jump'?  You can crop some shots, not crop others.

Sure, there's not question about large series of event shots getting right in camera - I'm mostly wondering about the wildlife stuff.

For the most part, your best shots of wildlife will be those that do not require cropping.

Cropping is something we have to do because we do not have a long enough lens or we can not get close. It is something to do because we have to not because we want to.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2013, 04:06:04 PM »

takesome1

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2013, 04:08:17 PM »

It would be better for you to walk up and get the close up without cropping.

Zoo. Lion. Fences. Long, sharp teeth.

How about sticking your hands through the fence so you can get a closer shot. That would be good.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2013, 04:09:58 PM »
How about sticking your hands through the fence so you can get a closer shot. That would be good.

Surprisingly, there seem to be a lot of serious injuries by this very method - all in the cause of perfect p&s or mobile phone shots, of course :->

I take it you must be using a zoom of some sort.

I'm thinking of macro wildlife here, you can adjust the framing a lot by moving a few inches with the prime macro lens. But yes, for the rest I use a 70-300L zoom and often zoom around until getting the best framing, and if it's at the long or short end I move myself.

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2013, 04:10:45 PM »
I don't think a real pro photographer would tell you never to crop, at least not since digital cameras have become greater than about 4mp as another poster has just said. Also in the days of film we really didn't want to crop 35mm much, but boy have times changed with the digital 35mm type of camera.

If it is possible to maximise the scene you're taking on the sensor then do, but as Neuro has pointed out even a small degree of out of level horizon ( say 0.5 degrees ) crops the frame a lot when you straighten. As photographic artists we are all attempting to maximise the technical results from our equipment so I wouldn't habitually want to have allot of wasted space on the sensor, but reality is that you can crop a 20mp FF in half and still get a sizeable enlargement from it.

Just a personal note: I really wouldn't get hung up about 100% viewfinders vs 97%. it's no issue as long as you are aware of it IMO.

pensive tomato

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2013, 04:23:11 PM »
I'm all for careful framing and composition, but my edges are not sacred (LR/CR "messes" them up all the time with lens corrections).

Also what about aspect ratios? Are we then supposed to be slaves to our cameras' sensor size? Or perhaps change the settings before taking a picture with a different aspect ratio? For example, I've found that squares worked better for some of my pictures, and I like having a bit of flexibility on where to put the square via cropping (fancy schmancy photog be damned!).
6D | M | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/4L IS | 40 f/2.8 | 50 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 22 f/2 STM | 600EX-RT (x2) | MT-24 EX | 270 EX II | ST-E3-RT

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »
I'm pretty much with everyone else:
Crop if you have to

As I got better, I found I have to do a lot less cropping and less frequently . . . that's basic experience once you get to know what you want in the frame.

I *DO* get irritated when I loan out my camera to a family member and have to constantly crop in PP.  It's like: what were you TRYING to take a picture of? :)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 04:49:34 PM »
... but I've been told even better - the alleged pro photog I'm ranting about in this thread told me not only that real photogs never crop, but also that of course he never needs to do it. And he was using a prime lens but almost never moved a foot! That's when I realized the guy is an idiot and I'd better double-check whatever he tells/told me :-p

Brilliant!  Misdirection at its finest!  Did you catch sight of his assistants climbing over the fence to get closer while he calls attention to himself by bloviating?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2013, 04:49:34 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2013, 04:54:28 PM »
Also what about aspect ratios? Are we then supposed to be slaves to our cameras' sensor size?

My impression: Yes! The still world seems to be seen through 2:3, just like everything moves in 16:9 nowadays. I really like to re-frame my shots, but I seem to be one of the few people who does that looking around, and I'm always feeling mighty "noobish" doing it.

But talking of cropping: for 2:3->16:9 I usually take two shots, one with more space to one side, because cutting a center-weighted subject to the side of 16:9 ("wallpaper-style") looses a lot of resolution.

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2013, 05:17:51 PM »
I find myself framing too tightly on occasion, probably from all those years of shooting reversal film. Then I kick myself when I run out of space trying to correct perspectives.

ugly_bokeh

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 05:20:28 PM »
Some time ago, I've been told by an alleged pro photog that real photogs don't crop, or at least only do minor angle correction. I am wondering if this is true, or it is an old-school fairy tale from the analog age that falls into the category "real photogs don't use auto iso and only shoot in full m".

...the alleged pro photog I'm ranting about in this thread told me not only that real photogs never crop, but also that of course he never needs to do it.

I wonder how he handles alternative aspect ratios...maybe he just re-sizes to fit?  That could be interesting....

DJD

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 05:25:58 PM »
Do any of you guys ever print your photo for framing? An "8x10" mat covers .25in. on each edge of an 8x10 print. I've found it really helps to have some extra space around your subject to account for that and/or cropping it for different aspect ratios prints ( i.e. 4x6 or 5x7 or 8x10 or ...?).

There is no way to "frame it perfectly in the camera" and account for all these cases.

Cheers,
DJD
7D, 400D, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6L IS USM, Lightroom 5.6

alexanderferdinand

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 05:31:35 PM »
Cropping is nothing evil.
Even if some of the icons like HCB liked their prints uncropped its sometimes necessary.
Otherwise an angle correction would look worse than before.
Or how do I get the "golden ratio" (1:1,618)?
If it is going to be framed this is something to think before printing.
Yes I crop!

ablearcher

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 05:45:26 PM »
Every time I frame tight on a subject, I go nuts when i get to the part of my workflow when I have to print. 

Cropping is just a part of the process, no big deal really...
Canon 7D; Canon 5D MKIII; Canon EF-S 10-22mm; Canon 50mm 1.8; Canon 28mm 1.8; Canon 85mm 1.8; Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS; Canon 135mm 2.0 L; Canon 35mm 1.4 L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 05:45:26 PM »

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2013, 06:53:37 PM »
Surprisingly, there seem to be a lot of serious injuries by this very method - all in the cause of perfect p&s or mobile phone shots, of course :->

I stood for several minutes at a zoo waiting for the silverback gorilla to turn round and grab the arm of the idiot that was prodding him through the bars, I thought that would make a killer photograph!  ::)
I think I have the print of the guy prodding the gorilla somewhere which I took just in case the gorilla needed defence evidence!  8)

Cheers Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

FTb-n

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 07:30:49 PM »
So, all those pros who shot 2 1/4" square format film Hasselblads, never cropped?

I do try to frame things perfectly in the viewfinder, often to my chagrin.  I have to constantly remind myself "what if I want an 8x10?"  Sometimes a nicely framed 2x3 perspective image will crop nicely to a 4x5 perspective.  Sometimes, I have to back out a bit to allow for cropping.

Sports is another are that I often crop.  I always shoot single-point focus and try to bump the focus point around the viewfinder to accommodate my desired framing.  But, there are times when the action is too quick and I resort to the center focus point and crop later.

Real photographers use the tools available to them to get the image that they seek.  Cropping is just another tool.
5D3, 7D | 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8...  |  PowerShot S100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 07:30:49 PM »