August 23, 2014, 01:50:12 AM

Author Topic: Price point of a 5Dmk2 replacement  (Read 17588 times)

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Price point of a 5Dmk2 replacement
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 07:35:18 PM »
Neuro, how about income tax on the ten hours consultant work? This will make them 14 probably?
If I'd put my scan along you'd probably see just a huge archi-cerebellum extending to the coronary line :-[.
Anyway, I think for people having the 5d2/1Ds3 a steep price to upgrade needs a significant improvement for justification - so let the 5d3 be expensive...
For 1.6 APC users wanting to jump to FF any price below 3500 is acceptable given the projected time of usage. By the time it gets updated again, 3.5k will look like McDonalds change  :-\

Other than getting into really big lenses or multiple bodies, etc. it's not completely unaffordable... camera gear has a fairly long life span and averaged out it's not that much more than other hobbies... anyone play golf for example?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 07:37:58 PM by Meh »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 07:45:43 PM »
Neuro, how about income tax on the ten hours consultant work? This will make them 14 probably?

Fair enough.  Call it 14.   :P

Seriously, it's all about desire and budget.  For many people, a  $3K camera body is an extravagant purchase.  For me, it's 10 hours of consulting work...

I knew I shouldn't have majored in journalism. :)

It's still all relative.  I could say, "I knew I shouldn't have gotten a PhD in Neuroscience," when I visit the house of friends of ours - husband and wife, both anesthesiologists.  I'm not actually sure how many rooms their house has, but one of them is a music conservatory with a grand piano and seating for 40 people.  He shoots with a 1DsIII, by the way...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

JonJT

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 07:58:12 PM »
All of you waiting for a 5DMK2 replacement, if it WAS $3500 would you still get it?

Absolutely not. But, I don't have to earn a living with my camera. And, I'm not waiting for a 5D III anyway. My 7D does everything I want and more. Compromises? Sure...but that's life.

Frankly, I think anyone who spends $3,000 on a camera body and isn't using it to earn a living ought to have his/her head examined. It's a camera for goodness sake. It won't make your life better and chances are, it won't even make your pictures that much better. I'd rather take the money and buy a plane ticket to someplace cool. In fact, that's exactly what I'm about to do later this week.

Of course, this is from a guy who used an F1 for about 30 years.

You could say this about any non-essential purchase. yet, people still spent 20-100 times more on things that that have no more utility than an alternative that is 1/20th the price.  For such people, it's a matter of emotion and disposible income.  I know a few people who have 5D/5DmkIIs but, who don't earn a dime from their cameras. If the 5DmkIII has the right features, I'll become one of those people.

Myself, and the people I know who have made such purchases budget properly and dont let themselves get introuble because of a preoccupation with the best photo equipment. In the end, we all die and none of this stuff goes with us. I see no reason to be overly frugal.

rocketdesigner

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 08:39:20 PM »
Frankly, I think anyone who spends $3,000 on a camera body and isn't using it to earn a living ought to have his/her head examined.

I did.  :P  No abnormalities that I can see...

How many people get to take a self-portrait with a >1 million dollar camera?   8)

EXIF: GE Signa HDxt 1.5 Tesla MRI with

You're not the only one .....

epsiloneri

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 09:10:19 PM »
For many people, a  $3K camera body is an extravagant purchase.  For me, it's 10 hours of consulting work...

Well I'm glad you don't charge for contributing to this forum... according to your stat page your time here would cost more than thirty pricy 5DmkII replacements :P

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 10:14:13 PM »
I enjoy your posts.

I am curious.  Which of the 1 series cameras would be somewhat equivalent to a 5D 2 or 3?

Thanks.

sek

Expect the same price.  Canon wants you to buy a FF camera and then you'll want a "L" lens to go with it. --- Gotcha ;D

They've already 'got' me, with 9 L-series lenses in the kit.  But if a 1DsIV comes out at the same price as the 1DsIII, I'll be a happy fellow...
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

Zuuyi

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 11:50:15 PM »
I enjoy your posts.

I am curious.  Which of the 1 series cameras would be somewhat equivalent to a 5D 2 or 3?

Thanks.

sek

The 1Ds is the studio camera so that is what the 5D aspires to be.  But the 1Ds has much better metering.  But the 5D2 is much cheaper so it is by far a much more popular(sales) FF camera.

Sunnystate

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 12:19:59 AM »
Excellent topic, and really interesting picture is emerging here.
Looks like except hand full of professionals, some really crazy enthusiasts, may be some lawyers, dentists and yes neuroanatmist, nobody else can afford FF or in other words humble 35 mm format digital camera.
I really hope Canon, and others are not creating this elitist  club with premeditation...
Good night everybody!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 01:11:57 AM by Sunnystate »

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 03:22:57 AM »
I'd guess alot depends on exactly where the 5D mk3 will fit into Canon's lineup, if theres a new FF body(either 6D or 3D) then theres the possibility of it being shifted up or down in spec. I wouldnt be supprized if it was the latter personally, perhaps we could end up with a lineup with 3 FF bodies(5D, 3D, 1D/1Ds) all with the same sensor but with build, AF and FPS getting progressively better ala crops?

That does seem to make sense to me since it allows Canon to exploit the market the 5D mk2 is currently tapping into with a cheaper FF body while offering something better to those wanting the AF/Build/FPS upgrades.

J. McCabe

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 03:50:18 AM »
Obviously we dont know what the spec is of a 5Dmk2 replacement (even if one ever appears) but there was lots of 'talk' about product realignment in previous posts, and a guess at new range entry costs.

All of you waiting for a 5DMK2 replacement, if it WAS $3500 would you still get it?

As noted by others before, the main question would be what would I get for that price - improved IQ ? better AF ? higher fps ?

Would I have to spend money on other extras ? E.g. would it use the LP-E6 batteries I have, or would I have to buy new spares ?

For me, it's not out of the question, but the features would definitely need to justify it.

Flake

« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 05:08:53 AM »
Looks like except hand full of professionals, some really crazy enthusiasts, may be some lawyers, dentists and yes neuroanatmist, nobody else can afford FF or in other words humble 35 mm format digital camera.
I really hope Canon, and others are not creating this elitist  club with premeditation...
Good night everybody!

I actually hope they are!  There needs to be something to separate professional photographers from the amateurs.  In the film days there was medium format a totally different camera from 35mm, customers could see it wasn't an ordinary camera.

It's not necessarily about ability or creativity for clients, they want a 'light & magic show' they need to see a bagfull of kit and a fancy camera, turn up to shoot a celeb or a politician with a lesser camera and you probably won't get past security even though it'll return just as good results.  A white lens and large body will open doors for you, sometimes even when you don't actually have access!

Photographic excellence can be acheived with all of the APS-C cameras, full frame is not some magical quantum leap improvement which will improve your photography, in fact it's more difficult to use properly, so the likelyhood is that for many it will make their results worse!

Some are still using film and telling the clients it's better or they only use film (for what ever pretentious reason) then charging a fortune - it doesn't have to be better, the client just has to believe that it is!

CJRodgers

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 05:18:02 AM »
I earn the U.K average sallary, but i would consider it if it was packaged with a good lens at a price that made the lens discounted. It is a hobby for me, but im intending to take it seriously when I get a FF camera. I want to try and make money with the gear i buy. Not alot, just enough to justify the kit.

Obvisouly i might never make a penny, but it comforts me that if i NEEDED to sell all of the gear, i probably wouldnt lose too much. This type of gear seems to hold value ok. So im going to give it a go for a few years and it i havent made a penny ill sell some stuff before the next cylce (5d mk4?) comes out. Hope this doesnt make me crazy :p
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:21:39 AM by CJRodgers »

mreco99

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 06:53:10 AM »
I earn the U.K average sallary, but i would consider it if it was packaged with a good lens at a price that made the lens discounted. It is a hobby for me, but im intending to take it seriously when I get a FF camera. I want to try and make money with the gear i buy. Not alot, just enough to justify the kit.

Dont you have a DSLR camera already? if not, i would suggest taking the cheaper route first, a 600d or 7D first, (or other manufacturer equivalent)
If you do have a DSLR already, you can be making money with that first also. If you cant sell images with a lesser DLSR, chances are a semi pro DSLR isnt going to help you.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 06:56:51 AM by mreco99 »

elflord

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 07:17:44 AM »
Good night everybody!

Price of entry to "full frame goodness" is quite a bit lower than the cost of a new 5D Mark II. If you're willing to go with film, the EOS 3 is about $300 now. It works with EOS mount lenses and has a good autofocus system. If you really want digital (no one really needs digital except possibly pros and only because they are competing with other pros who have digital) , used 5D classics sell for about $1000 or so -- about the price of a new 60D.

About the "elite club" -- it boils down to whether you want to take great photos, or crank out pictures on a tight schedule that meet  the expectations of clients. For pros, the latter is important but for amateurs, it isn't . So pro equipment won't necessarily produce the best results (what it will do is produce quick gratification which is why everyone wants it)

If you really do want to turn pro,  then you're looking at it as a business startup cost. The cost of a 5D Mark II looks expensive compared to discretionary income, but it is not expensive by the standards that you'd measure business startup costs.

CJRodgers

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 07:23:06 AM »
I have a nikon d90 with a couple of lens'. Well its my friends, but he gave me it about 2 years ago as he wasnt using it. Im always concious when im using it that its not really mine, so ive never tried to do anything professional with it. So i dont have lots of my own kit but i wouldnt say im a beginner. I want to work my way up to doing music vidoes and weddings stills or videos, and i much prefer the images from a canon to what i use now. Id buy a 5dmkii now if it werent for aliasing on video.

Your right i could try and sell images, but i didnt think there was much money in stock images?