October 21, 2014, 09:42:12 AM

Author Topic: Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4 APO-Distagon Review by B&H Photo  (Read 16649 times)

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
Re: Zeiss Otus 55 f/1.4 APO-Distagon Review by B&H Photo
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2013, 11:22:26 AM »
All that money and no autofocus.

Bleh.

I know a street style photographer that was using a zeiss 35mm at fashion week- constant focus, focus, focus...

simply impractical for folks like me :(
Be the best you, screw everything else.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2013, 11:22:26 AM »

kirispupis

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2013, 12:17:59 PM »
All this bashing about no AF is simply silly.  Sure, if Zeiss released a 500mm lens without AF I would steer clear of it because AF is crucial for that type of wildlife photography, but for this range AF isn't really necessary.  Many of my lenses do not have AF and even on my 70-200/2.8 I often turn AF off.  Once you get used to it, it's really not that difficult and for a number of cases it is better.

Personally I do believe the price of this lens is justified, though I have no plans to buy one because I do not use this focal length. 

Seriously, just because you do not understand something gives you no cause to bash it.
5D3|TS-E 24 II|TS-E 17|TS-E 90|200-400/1.4x|MP-E 65|100/2.8 IS Macro|70-200/2.8 IS II||16-35/2.8 II|EOS M

KarstenReis

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2013, 12:25:26 PM »
I tend to agree that everyone needs to calm down about this lens not having AF.  I don't think this lens was designed for the type of application where fast and accurate AF would be a big help.  In the video by Zeiss it seems like they are aiming for Medium Format type image quality.  If you take into account the 4k for this lens and the cost of a FF body such as a D800 or upcoming large MP body from Canon, it would end up costing a lot less than a MF kit (which typically aren't used in circumstances where fast and accurate AF is needed.)  Just my thoughts.

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2013, 01:16:09 PM »
I could have written a better review!

Permit me to disagree.

I've seen your writing.
Allow me to support the latest speaker ;)

LMAOROTF!  It is getting a little rough in here!!!!!!  :o
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 01:18:14 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2013, 06:55:17 PM »
the thing about the Canon fifties is that they are a compromise... af  on  all,  excellent image sharpness when stopped down to 2.8,  decent bokeh,  but better on the 1.2,  but no is.

so what I want is to buy a 1.2  or 1.4 50mm  that I can use wide open that is sharp and with a beautiful bokeh...  and I really want af  and I can do without is,  but I'd like that too.   sho Canon needs to get off their duffs  and make that happen...  and I'd happily pay $2000 ish for that lens.

The 50L is not a compromise. Apparently, IS on f/1.2 is technically impossible now. The 50L is designed for bokeh, not for sharpness. Even Zeiss says that you cannot have both (in their "bokeh" document).

I've heard that from multiple sources,  but people  live the  Canon 85's   and the 135 L for their sharpness and the bokeh...
 and the sigma 35  gets a ton of praise for being sharp wide open...  and I  know we are  comparing apples to  oranges,  but I just can't seem to accept that it  has to be one or the other
+1 here. 85L is amazingly sharp wide open.

Longer lenses are easier to be made sharper. The 85L is sharp enough wide open but not really sharp, with strong PF and reduced contrast. The 135L is long and f/2. The Sigma 35 has really poor bokeh.

Make a wild guess where I copied this from:

The nature of the background blurriness of a
spherically under-corrected lens is appealing
to the human eye. The background is calming
and the contours of the object are retained
longer even in the blur. Further below you will
find examples illustrating this.
There are disadvantages to this imaging
property, however:

[...]

If we want to generate a noticeably beautiful
bokeh in the background, then we must
make the under-correction so noticeable that
the focus shift is also very large and makes
focusing difficult.

In addition, the contrast rendition of the lens
is overall poor by necessity. Because the
outside rays form a halo surrounding the
spot where the inner rays form a small
image point, the contrast is reduced.

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2013, 04:10:25 AM »
the thing about the Canon fifties is that they are a compromise... af  on  all,  excellent image sharpness when stopped down to 2.8,  decent bokeh,  but better on the 1.2,  but no is.

so what I want is to buy a 1.2  or 1.4 50mm  that I can use wide open that is sharp and with a beautiful bokeh...  and I really want af  and I can do without is,  but I'd like that too.   sho Canon needs to get off their duffs  and make that happen...  and I'd happily pay $2000 ish for that lens.

The 50L is not a compromise. Apparently, IS on f/1.2 is technically impossible now. The 50L is designed for bokeh, not for sharpness. Even Zeiss says that you cannot have both (in their "bokeh" document).

I've heard that from multiple sources,  but people  live the  Canon 85's   and the 135 L for their sharpness and the bokeh...
 and the sigma 35  gets a ton of praise for being sharp wide open...  and I  know we are  comparing apples to  oranges,  but I just can't seem to accept that it  has to be one or the other
+1 here. 85L is amazingly sharp wide open.

Longer lenses are easier to be made sharper. The 85L is sharp enough wide open but not really sharp, with strong PF and reduced contrast. The 135L is long and f/2. The Sigma 35 has really poor bokeh.

My 85IIL is very sharp wide open, my copy seems to be a stellar copy. It's nearly as sharp as my 100mm L IS Macro. Even my 135L isn't as sharp as my 85IIL. It's contrast is fantastic, so I would question the copy which you are using, it must be out of spec. Yes it has Purple fringing in specuatular highlights (no where else) which is easily correctable in LR. The 50 f1.2L is a nice lens but it's sharpness is certainly lacking wide open.

135L = sharp wide open
100L = sharp wide open
85IIL = sharp wide open
50L  = not particularly sharp wide open
35L = sharp wide open
24IIL = sharp wide open

Which lens is the odd ball here? Ok, this may be my lens samples..but my 2nd photographer has the same kit and her 100L is a bit sharper than mine, but my 85IIL is sharper than hers...her 50L is a wee bit sharper than mine...but they are both the softest lens in our lens collection by a noticable margin. It's softer than any of our zooms or other primes.
As a L lens, the 50L is well built, it's AF is curiously slower than the 35L. The elements aren't that big. It' AF is certainly accurate, just a little slow to react. My mkI 24-70L is a lot snappier.
The 50L offers great flare handling, great contrast, nice out of focus rendering (bokeh is a term which only references out of focus highlight blobs). But it's sharpness isn't in the same league as my other lenses.

RVB

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2013, 08:18:59 AM »
This is an interesting article about the Zeiss 135 vs Canon 135, http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/04/zeiss-ze-135mm-f2-vs-canon-135mm-f2l

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2013, 08:18:59 AM »

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2013, 09:33:18 AM »
 here's a stupid question...  with sigma suffering  auto focus issues but reportedly great  image quality...  why don't the  manual focus crowd gravitate to sigma as a value option and simply use it as a manual focus lens?
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2013, 09:54:14 AM »
here's a stupid question...  with sigma suffering  auto focus issues but reportedly great  image quality...  why don't the  manual focus crowd gravitate to sigma as a value option and simply use it as a manual focus lens?

I think it would need to "feel" like a £3K before anyone would touch it :D

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2013, 11:19:38 AM »

The manual focus on Zeiss does not compare with that of any other auto focus brand.

RVB

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2013, 11:33:03 AM »

The manual focus on Zeiss does not compare with that of any other auto focus brand.

+1

One of the reasons that Zeiss glass is so popular with the video crowd...

RVB

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2013, 11:34:29 AM »

The Sigma has onion bokeh.. great lens but if bokeh is your thing you may be disappointed ..

Kwanon

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2013, 11:55:39 AM »
This lens is not an L lens, it's not casual AF lens. It's a speciality lens made with real image quality in mind.
Who cares if it doesn't have AF. And if you don't like the price there are many other "good" lenses with AF in a cheaper price range.

There are many who appreciate this lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2013, 11:55:39 AM »

RVB

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2013, 12:39:11 PM »
This lens is not an L lens, it's not casual AF lens. It's a speciality lens made with real image quality in mind.
Who cares if it doesn't have AF. And if you don't like the price there are many other "good" lenses with AF in a cheaper price range.

+1

It's a master piece of optical engineering,it has a lot in common with the Zeiss master anamorphics.. No canon L lenses can match it's wide open performance except for the best of the great whites,namely the 200f2 (I owned one for 3yrs)and up and the especially mk2 versions of the super tele's.

It's not for everyone but Zeiss knew this when they gave Dr Hubert Nasse the go ahead to design and build it,at a push I would say indie film makers will be in for it,it's a fraction of the price of the Zeiss masters..it is what it is ,an expensive  niche lens high on performance and low on versatility .. very focused piece of kit. (and still almost half the price of the Cron 50 APO)

JohnDizzo15

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2013, 01:52:43 PM »

+1

It's a master piece of optical engineering,it has a lot in common with the Zeiss master anamorphics.. No canon L lenses can match it's wide open performance except for the best of the great whites,namely the 200f2 (I owned one for 3yrs)and up and the especially mk2 versions of the super tele's.

It's not for everyone but Zeiss knew this when they gave Dr Hubert Nasse the go ahead to design and build it,at a push I would say indie film makers will be in for it,it's a fraction of the price of the Zeiss masters..it is what it is ,an expensive  niche lens high on performance and low on versatility .. very focused piece of kit. (and still almost half the price of the Cron 50 APO)

Exactly

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2013, 01:52:43 PM »