September 16, 2014, 08:05:12 PM

Author Topic: Veteran cameraman claims: BBC 'fakes wildlife shots all the time'  (Read 10065 times)

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Veteran cameraman claims: BBC 'fakes wildlife shots all the time'
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 04:01:16 AM »
An interesting article on Daily Mail, which I thought might interest some CR members.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2450381/BBC-fakes-wildlife-shots-time-Veteran-cameraman-claims-species-smaller-rabbits-filmed-custom-built-sets.html

I am an an avid, avid watcher of BBC programing, especially the documentaries. They do show how they get their wildlife shots are done. As a wildlife photographer I find their workflow interesting.

I take the educational content seriously. How they get it, I do not make too much of a fuss over it.

Now, is it a news program? If it isn't then they can stage the heck out of it.

Is it a photo/video contest that disallows any form of staging? If it isn't then they can stage the heck out of it.

People should be more scandalized on the staged nature of "reality TV" and talent/singing contests. ;)

Finally, if you dislike what the BBC is doing then all you have to do is turn the TV off.

=========

We must remember that the health & safety of the production staff should take paramount importance rather than the authenticity. We should also consider that the level of difficulty & budget in making such a production somewhat limit the authenticity.

=========

Earlier this year I was being bugged on "authenticity" and "truthfulness" of wildlife photography and to be honest what other people do is their business. If you're in an organization then you should follow their protocols or else just keep out.

=========

In my mind, why the fuck (pardon the language) would I spend so much money to fight people on how they do their business?

Because at the end of the day, you post or otherwise make public your work some idiot with "good intentions" will appropriate your work for their advocacy without even the decency of either acknowledging you for your time/effort/money or compensating you.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 04:25:03 AM by dolina »
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2013, 04:01:16 AM »

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2013, 08:18:02 AM »
An interesting article on Daily Mail, which I thought might interest some CR members.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2450381/BBC-fakes-wildlife-shots-time-Veteran-cameraman-claims-species-smaller-rabbits-filmed-custom-built-sets.html

I am an an avid, avid watcher of BBC programing, especially the documentaries. They do show how they get their wildlife shots are done. As a wildlife photographer I find their workflow interesting.

I take the educational content seriously. How they get it, I do not make too much of a fuss over it.

Now, is it a news program? If it isn't then they can stage the heck out of it.

Is it a photo/video contest that disallows any form of staging? If it isn't then they can stage the heck out of it.

People should be more scandalized on the staged nature of "reality TV" and talent/singing contests. ;)

Finally, if you dislike what the BBC is doing then all you have to do is turn the TV off.

=========

We must remember that the health & safety of the production staff should take paramount importance rather than the authenticity. We should also consider that the level of difficulty & budget in making such a production somewhat limit the authenticity.

=========

Earlier this year I was being bugged on "authenticity" and "truthfulness" of wildlife photography and to be honest what other people do is their business. If you're in an organization then you should follow their protocols or else just keep out.

=========

In my mind, why the fuck (pardon the language) would I spend so much money to fight people on how they do their business?

Because at the end of the day, you post or otherwise make public your work some idiot with "good intentions" will appropriate your work for their advocacy without even the decency of either acknowledging you for your time/effort/money or compensating you.
I absolutely agree
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2013, 09:43:51 AM »
[...] to the BBC as an independent public broadcaster.

In most countries, organizations funded by taxes would be called governmental ones.

TrabimanUK

• EOS M2
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2013, 10:21:22 AM »
Not in the UK, the BBC seem to do their utmost to take down whichever government is in power.  Kind of biting the hand that feeds, but shows independence.
Canon 1D, 5D, 5DIII, 70D, 60D, SX150-IR/UV, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM,
 Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM,  12-24 DG HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2013, 11:01:56 AM »
I absolutely agree
So chill out, relax or else you might get hypertension over wildlife.  ;)

Or better yet go after people who destroy the habitat and pouch wildlife rather than some overly enthusiastic cameraman.

Again, for the record. I did not get serious in my photography just so I can dictate others how they should lead their lives. I am neither paying them for their time and gear so best bet is to keep out of their business so long as what they are doing is legal.

If animals and bugs knew what people are on about they'll all think we're f-ing batty.  ;D

takesome1

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2013, 11:02:51 AM »
Kind of biting the hand that feeds, but shows independence.

In the case of this thread would it be the BBC photographer getting his hand bit by a wild animal?

Famateur

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 06:38:54 PM »
I would never fake or stage a "wildlife" picture :)

You may have fooled others, but not me. A common loon in a tree? Nice try! ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 06:38:54 PM »

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2013, 02:30:21 AM »
[...] to the BBC as an independent public broadcaster.

In most countries, organizations funded by taxes would be called governmental ones.
That is probably correct, for most countries. But it gives you a tilted view of the consequences. BBC, NRK (Norway), SVT (Sweden) and a few other broadcasters are financed through the tax system, rather than commercials. They are controlled by independent bodies, which does not control the money. That gives you two major benefits. One; There are no commercials (American TV is totally wrecked by commercials), and you can watch a program from start to finish without numerous noisy commercial interrupts. Two; Because they have a fixed and firm budget, with clear rules to also serve the niches, they produce programs without being slaves to viewer volumes.
So summing up, BBC, NRK and SVT are a lot more independent than a commercially driven broadcaster. Wether it is public or governmental is academic.
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

dolina

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2013, 09:00:40 AM »
That is probably correct, for most countries. But it gives you a tilted view of the consequences. BBC, NRK (Norway), SVT (Sweden) and a few other broadcasters are financed through the tax system, rather than commercials. They are controlled by independent bodies, which does not control the money. That gives you two major benefits. One; There are no commercials (American TV is totally wrecked by commercials), and you can watch a program from start to finish without numerous noisy commercial interrupts. Two; Because they have a fixed and firm budget, with clear rules to also serve the niches, they produce programs without being slaves to viewer volumes.
So summing up, BBC, NRK and SVT are a lot more independent than a commercially driven broadcaster. Wether it is public or governmental is academic.

It also allows for documentaries on such interesting subjects such as cranes (the mechanical kind, not the bird kind).

Such subjects would never ever get enough funding to make it interesting production-wise.

ME

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2013, 08:35:05 PM »
Quite obviously, the previous responders to this thread are beyond the age that would remember "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom', with Marlin Perkins and Jim Fowler, whereupon, on some back of some studio in California, Marlin would "watch from the safety of the helicopter while Jim wrestled the crocodile".   Whereupon, the helicopter was in fact on the ground (the chopper shots of Marlin looking on were often repeated from show to show), and the crocodile was... well it was somthing in the mud, and could have been a deflated weather balloon for all we know.

I remember it well. Used to watch it frequently. And was often amused at the events you describe. He looked like he was getting pretty old, though.
5DII,50D,Canon|Sigma|Zeiss|Samyang|LENSES
http://www.flickr.com/photos/iveseenthelight/

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2013, 08:58:25 PM »
Quite obviously, the previous responders to this thread are beyond the age that would remember "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom', with Marlin Perkins and Jim Fowler, whereupon, on some back of some studio in California, Marlin would "watch from the safety of the helicopter while Jim wrestled the crocodile".   Whereupon, the helicopter was in fact on the ground (the chopper shots of Marlin looking on were often repeated from show to show), and the crocodile was... well it was somthing in the mud, and could have been a deflated weather balloon for all we know.

That show was incredible.... There was the show where he wrestled a dead anaconda, then the show where they shot the bear up with so much tranquilizers that they killed it, so they spread honey on the carcas and filmed the babies "nursing".... but the best show of all was when they filmed the legendary migration of the lemmings and had a conveyor belt flinging them off of a cliff while they filmed the lemmings "jumping" from below....

Walt Disney rented a lot of trained animals for his wildlife documentaries.... I was impressed with how well groomed his cougars and wolves were....

Go watch "mountain men".... the wild animals are rented from Wasach Rocky Mountain Animals.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2013, 10:36:20 PM »

How about a groundhog in a tree?
The best camera is the one in your hands

Jackson_Bill

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 10:44:36 PM »

OK, let's hijack this thread - its gone on long enough, anyway :-)

How about a great blue heron in a tree?

BTW - that loon etc in the tree was great!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2013, 10:44:36 PM »

photo212

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2013, 11:18:19 PM »
Faking is what you lead your audience to believe. If you tell them you are film the birth a polar bear in the wild, it had better be in the wild. Lying is even worse than faking. Faking is not telling the audience what is really going on.

As a wildlife photographer I do not want captive animals considered wild. Just state that some of the scenes were filmed in captivity. That makes the truly amazing wildlife image precious compared to one taken where the animal was under some control.

Ethics.

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2013, 11:29:41 PM »

OK, let's hijack this thread - its gone on long enough, anyway :-)

How about a great blue heron in a tree?

BTW - that loon etc in the tree was great!

Jackson_Bill, love that great blue heron shot!

+1...how about a juvenile AND an adult BCN Heron in the same Octopus tree? ;D
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2013, 11:29:41 PM »