September 16, 2014, 03:34:58 AM

Author Topic: Cicala on Lens testing  (Read 1345 times)

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Cicala on Lens testing
« on: October 10, 2013, 02:30:03 PM »
Yet another blog article by Roger Cicala that's worth reading:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/10/there-is-no-perfect-lens-test-either

canon rumors FORUM

Cicala on Lens testing
« on: October 10, 2013, 02:30:03 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Cicala on Lens testing
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 03:26:50 PM »
Roger seems to hit it right on the head as usual.  Any kind of lab testing is subject to understanding the limitations of the test methods and what they actually mean.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 05:05:44 PM »

I wish Roger would devote a staff member to full-time lens testing.  He's the biggest show in town for inventory of lenses, so his resolution data is gold to me.  When you test 10, 20 copies of a lenses, one can separate a consistently good lens from an inconsistently good lens from a consistently bad lens.

You just can't get these kind of stories..
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/01/the-great-50mm-shootout
...from the other sites I've seen. 

Further, Roger is transparent in his methodology and only reports & dissects hard numbers.  As a result, he's built a rather trustworthy following of people from all camps of fanboys -- that's really hard to do.  (DXO sensor testing gets some folks royally worked up in this forum, for instance.)

I love http://www.the-digital-picture.com/ for most qualitative photographer considerations, but for hard numbers, Roger is the guy.

- A

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 05:54:24 PM »
Some good points already made here, but I agree completely with Roger's take about reading multiple reviews, although my understanding was far more incomplete that what was presented here.  I also like to take in a mixture of lab type results along with some field testing.  Finally, his ability to compare multiple copies of any given lens is gold to me, as it strongly suggests that a copy that might fall into my hands is definitely likely to be within the sample variation range that he has seen.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 06:28:34 PM »
Interesting the bits on the high resolution cameras - backlit film for testing...  They test all lenses on the way in and on the way out, so I think there are a few folks whom are doing testing as it is.

My bigger question is why doesn't Nikon and Canon have someone visiting them on a regular basis, collecting feedback from their staff and customers to drive business decisions.  Imagine the info you could munge out of rental patterns and customers who turn around and purchase a lens.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 09:25:16 PM »

I wish Roger would devote a staff member to full-time lens testing.

If you mean testing lenses for a fee, its coming.  Roger now provides test data for used lenses he sells, and soon will test your lens for you ($$$).  However, he will likely not be able to do repairs, so you will have to send the test data to Canon and convince them.  They are likely cringing at the thought of hundreds of buyers who get a lens test done and believe that they can make the lens perfect.
He already tests every rental lens as it comes back from a rental, so you are very unlikely to get a bad rental lens.  He may not do a full blown evaluation of the lens like a lens test site does, but his testing is able to detect problems with the lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 09:25:16 PM »