August 23, 2014, 05:36:34 AM

Poll

I wish Canon would:

Offer a tiny, retro styled, big sensor mirrorless camera with dials and buttons
19 (24.7%)
Stick to DSLRs and stay the course
50 (64.9%)
Go completely out of the box, like Sony is doing with the QX line. Something wild
2 (2.6%)
Focus on medium format
6 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Author Topic: Holidays 2013: Where the Heck is Canon?  (Read 6732 times)

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Holidays 2013: Where the Heck is Canon?
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 10:25:56 AM »
I want an 800E killer!
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

Lawliet

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 11:29:29 AM »
I want an 800E killer!
About 8192px on the long side, and something akin to the 70D on sensor AF, to make actually use of the resolution and to read the half-sensels at 2 stops(or just add a CF!) different sensitivity. A decent sync time and enough processing power for 4K/ fHD60p. Throw in some zebras for MF, both still and motion, as a bonus.
...instant preorder

Ruined

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 11:40:46 AM »
Canon made two miscalculations as far as I can see.

I assume, they wish to keep people interested in the DSLR market and not stray to mirrorless.

Meanwhile,
1) They announce the 70D with revolutionary dual pixel AF autofocus for video... Making it the potential ultimate video DSLR under $4k.  But, they fail to include a headphone jack for audio monitoring purposely for "differentiation."  Instead of going all-out, they decide to skimp for marketing purposes and deliver a product that cannot achieve the full potential its new signature feature is designed for (fantastic video) - without being able to monitor the audio on videos, your videos aren't going to sound that great if they contain audio.

2) So, for people disappointed with that omission, they wait for the 7D Mark II.  This, meanwhile, has failed to emerge.  So the top model remains a 4-year old model, which while granted is awesome is long in the tooth and trumped in many ways by the 70D.  Still, neither of the two models may be truly satisfying for those looking for a flagship crop camera in 2013 for different reasons. 

Thus, Canon has created a situation where those looking to burn some cash in the under 2k range upgrading their crop cameras who feel the 70D doesn't offer enough, may now stray to another brand which has created a perhaps more interesting product that does not have the obviously artificial barriers and hardware deficiencies set up by marketing!

I agree with the OP, where the heck is Canon?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:43:24 AM by Ruined »

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2013, 12:53:18 PM »
meanwhile... canons camera business is going better then all others.
sure there is a decline in P&S sales but canon is doing well compared to other companys.
correct me if im wrong. but from the numbers i have in mind it looks that way.

i mean how is that possible when so many forum experts scream doom from the roofs for.. lets see... the last 3 years?

canon is doing so much wrong for 3 years.... they should be broke by now.

can someone from the huge crowd of marketing and engineering experts on this forum explain this discrepancy?

thanks!   ;D

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2013, 01:24:59 PM »
Thus, Canon has created a situation where those looking to burn some cash in the under 2k range upgrading their crop cameras who feel the 70D doesn't offer enough, may now stray to another brand ...

Or those same people might say, "I wonder if all this buzz about full frame is legit? If the 7DII isn't coming out for another year, maybe I ought to look at this 6D, which is about the same price as what I paid for the 7D originally.

"But then, would I be happy with the compromises in the 6D? And, if I buy it, will Canon put out a 6DII in a year that has similar autofocus to the original 7D and I'll wish I'd bought that one? I'll need the 24-105 to replace my 15-85, but that lens is cheap right now so maybe I can swing that. But, even as cheap as it is, that's still pushing the package over $2,000.

"Maybe I should just bite the bullet and go for the 5DIII, which is the camera I know in my heart I really, really want. That one is definitely not going to be upgraded in the next year or so, so I'm not really risking anything, and even if it is upgraded, what do I care? It's so good now that I can happily shoot with it for years. And, if they 7DII is wonderful...well...since I have the 5DIII I can wait it out until it shows up on the refurbished site."

Then, you see on CanonPriceWatch.Com that Adorama is offering a bundle that's got a scarily huge price, but saves you about $1,500 over the lowest prices anywhere and you find yourself maxing out the "Bill Me Later" credit limit to order the 5DIII.

Nicely played Canon!

(And yes, this is autobiographical)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:26:36 PM by unfocused »
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »
meanwhile... canons camera business is going better then all others.
sure there is a decline in P&S sales but canon is doing well compared to other companys.
correct me if im wrong. but from the numbers i have in mind it looks that way.

i mean how is that possible when so many forum experts scream doom from the roofs for.. lets see... the last 3 years?

canon is doing so much wrong for 3 years.... they should be broke by now.

can someone from the huge crowd of marketing and engineering experts on this forum explain this discrepancy?

thanks!   ;D
I think it´s a combination of things they did right and the others did wrong.
They have the best lens portfolio in the business, no question. They gave us cheap reliable entry level DSLRs, they gave us 5D, 5DII, 5DIII, 1DsIII, 1DIV and 1DX, with fairly good timing and the competition were not able to sell on their competitive edge. Nikon with AF, DR and high ISO as an example. It puzzles me that Nikon were unable to capitalize more, especially when the 800/800E came out.
But maybe most important; Canon´s marketing wipes the competition off the floor. And their service organization has served us (at least me) very well.
If I was into video, I would probably look very favorably at Canon. Lot´s of interesting stuff has come out and more will come. But I couldn´t care less. I am a still photographer. i want maximum IQ. Resolution, dynamic range, color etc. etc. And I think we have been waiting long enough for (at least the announcement of) that megapixle DR monster, that will send the 800E into oblivion.
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

Ruined

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2013, 03:46:23 PM »
Thus, Canon has created a situation where those looking to burn some cash in the under 2k range upgrading their crop cameras who feel the 70D doesn't offer enough, may now stray to another brand ...

Or those same people might say, "I wonder if all this buzz about full frame is legit? If the 7DII isn't coming out for another year, maybe I ought to look at this 6D, which is about the same price as what I paid for the 7D originally.

"But then, would I be happy with the compromises in the 6D? And, if I buy it, will Canon put out a 6DII in a year that has similar autofocus to the original 7D and I'll wish I'd bought that one? I'll need the 24-105 to replace my 15-85, but that lens is cheap right now so maybe I can swing that. But, even as cheap as it is, that's still pushing the package over $2,000.

"Maybe I should just bite the bullet and go for the 5DIII, which is the camera I know in my heart I really, really want. That one is definitely not going to be upgraded in the next year or so, so I'm not really risking anything, and even if it is upgraded, what do I care? It's so good now that I can happily shoot with it for years. And, if they 7DII is wonderful...well...since I have the 5DIII I can wait it out until it shows up on the refurbished site."

Then, you see on CanonPriceWatch.Com that Adorama is offering a bundle that's got a scarily huge price, but saves you about $1,500 over the lowest prices anywhere and you find yourself maxing out the "Bill Me Later" credit limit to order the 5DIII.

Nicely played Canon!

(And yes, this is autobiographical)

:) Perhaps, but one major problem with this scenario - $4000 up front is a lot different than $1500-2000 upfront, I would wager you might be eliminating much of the market with such a high entry price - even if it is saving $1500.  Would I also do it if I had the cash to burn? Probably as its an amazing deal (although it is disappointing the PRO-1 can't do roll paper), but looking at the whole market that is not a large subset of buyers I'd think.

Also, it is not encouraging that despite all of the 5DMKIII's merits and awesome performance, a wifi adapter for the 5DMKIII is $700+ when most newly announced $1k+ cameras now have that builtin (including the 6D and 70d).  No camera is perfect and has every feature, but it just makes the pricetag higher if you are interested in that feature for event photography or client demos.  Especially when there is no way in the world it should cost that much, $150 at most.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:50:45 PM by Ruined »