September 22, 2014, 06:23:06 PM

Author Topic: What's Next for Canon?  (Read 24420 times)

LeifHurst

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • Leif Hurst Photography
Re: What's Next for Canon?
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2013, 02:11:53 PM »
I'm pretty disappointed in Canon. Nothing has really been released that has me reaching for my wallet. No Fuji fighter mirrorless and no D800E killer (the only thing that might keep me in the brand).

Meanwhile "the other guys" look like they're dropping a Vintage looking body with a D4 sensor in it.

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/20/update-the-new-full-frame-retro-nikon-camera-will-have-f-mount-and-pentaprism.aspx/

This is the first time where I'm start to feel like I'm on the wrong boat.

Tell me, why do you feel the need for a "vintage body" all of a sudden? What is this fascination? Frankly, I' glad Canon aren't just jumping on the retro bandwagon to make a few bucks (with my luck they'll announce a retro body tomorrow and I'll be eating my words!!).

Here's an idea - don't complain that you can't spend your money fast enough. Give it to me if it bothers you!

;D

I don't want a vintage body... honestly, I could care less about how a camera looks as long as it feels right and the resulting images are amazing. I was simply noting that the other brand is releasing high end sensors in a smaller body which is the appeal of some of these Fuji and now Sony kits with a Full Frame. I think a lot of folks are jumping the gun with the Sony camera as the thing hasn't even been tested yet, but that's the internet for you.

I've been with Canon since '97 and so it's with great apprehension that I would even consider jumping ship. I'm hanging tight until "the next big thing" as I really only upgrade bodies every other generation.

Thanks for the warm welcome?   ;)
Leif Hurst Photography

Hasselblad H4D, HC 120mm Macro, HC 50-110 Zoom, (2) 5DII, 7D, 40mm pancake, 24-105L, 70-200L 2.8 II, 85L, 100L, 50 1.4, profoto, kinos constants, more speedlites than I'd like to admit

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2013, 02:11:53 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2013, 02:44:10 PM »
this camera even has the hot shoe covered.... wtf?

no sane person would cover a camera like that, only for "theft angst".

this is either a prank... make people think it is a prototype.. or it is indeed a prototype.

Sometimes the best place to hide things is in plain sight....

If I were sending out a secret prototype to be used in public, I'd make it look as much as possible as an existing body.
The best camera is the one in your hands

SiliconVoid

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Freelance (film days) - Digital Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2013, 03:50:30 PM »
Why does there need to be anything 'next' from Canon, or Nikon, or Sony....
Have all you people actually outgrown your existing equipment???
Your skill in photography demands more camera than you have now???
Your creativity is being suppressed by the outdated equipment you have now???

Or is it really a situation where you do not wish to learn photography and are always vigilant for something that might do everything for you....?

Personally I would prefer the manufacturers stop worrying about MP and turn all that R&D towards a digital sensor that can produce 6400+ ISO as clean as 100 ISO.. Until that has been accomplished everything else is a waste of time and money.
Canon - 5DmkII - 40D - Rebel XSi - AE1 - F1 : 3 Ls
Nikon - D700 - D300s : 2 Ns

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2013, 04:12:50 PM »
Personally I would prefer the manufacturers stop worrying about MP and turn all that R&D towards a digital sensor that can produce 6400+ ISO as clean as 100 ISO.. Until that has been accomplished everything else is a waste of time and money.
And I think Canon should turn their R&D towards a digital sensor that can produce clean ISO 100! :D

dude

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2013, 05:11:06 PM »
I was reading your post reading my response when you mentioned my response. I want to shoot at 8000 ISO and not tell the difference between it and 100. That is because I have been spending a lot of time doing football this year.

1DX, 5diii, M
L lenses for all occasions

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2013, 05:56:46 PM »
Why does there need to be anything 'next' from Canon, or Nikon, or Sony....
Have all you people actually outgrown your existing equipment???
Your skill in photography demands more camera than you have now???
Your creativity is being suppressed by the outdated equipment you have now???

Or is it really a situation where you do not wish to learn photography and are always vigilant for something that might do everything for you....?

You are aware that the name of this forum is CanonRUMORS, right? Speculation (bitching) about the latest and the greatest from Canon is pretty relevant here.

Lichtgestalt

« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2013, 06:31:06 PM »
this camera even has the hot shoe covered.... wtf?

no sane person would cover a camera like that, only for "theft angst".

this is either a prank... make people think it is a prototype.. or it is indeed a prototype.

Sometimes the best place to hide things is in plain sight....

If I were sending out a secret prototype to be used in public, I'd make it look as much as possible as an existing body.

yes use a existing body to test prototype electronics.
makes sense as long as you don´t want to test new ergonomics.

but don´t cover it in tape like christo on steroids. :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2013, 06:31:06 PM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2013, 10:09:38 PM »
I'm pretty disappointed in Canon. Nothing has really been released that has me reaching for my wallet. No Fuji fighter mirrorless and no D800E killer (the only thing that might keep me in the brand).

Meanwhile "the other guys" look like they're dropping a Vintage looking body with a D4 sensor in it.

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/20/update-the-new-full-frame-retro-nikon-camera-will-have-f-mount-and-pentaprism.aspx/

This is the first time where I'm start to feel like I'm on the wrong boat.

Tell me, why do you feel the need for a "vintage body" all of a sudden? What is this fascination? Frankly, I' glad Canon aren't just jumping on the retro bandwagon to make a few bucks (with my luck they'll announce a retro body tomorrow and I'll be eating my words!!).

Here's an idea - don't complain that you can't spend your money fast enough. Give it to me if it bothers you!

;D

I don't want a vintage body... honestly, I could care less about how a camera looks as long as it feels right and the resulting images are amazing. I was simply noting that the other brand is releasing high end sensors in a smaller body which is the appeal of some of these Fuji and now Sony kits with a Full Frame. I think a lot of folks are jumping the gun with the Sony camera as the thing hasn't even been tested yet, but that's the internet for you.

I've been with Canon since '97 and so it's with great apprehension that I would even consider jumping ship. I'm hanging tight until "the next big thing" as I really only upgrade bodies every other generation.

Thanks for the warm welcome?   ;)

Sorry I wasn't trying to be mean. It's just, after a while you read the complaints on here about Canon not doing this or not making that and it just gets old. It can drive you nuts sometimes thinking of gear when we should (me included) be out taking amazing pictures with our existing equipment (which isn't too shabby!).

My 550D still takes pretty decent pictures, as long as there's good light.

This retro thing and smaller body is just a marketing thing. It's created a need that wasn't there before. Think about it, how did we get by before with all our gigantic cameras? Just fine. Making it smaller has no clear advantage for me since my lenses are all quite large anyway (and I have big hands that don't grip small cameras too good!). And I have no interest in buying a whole new system of lenses (even if they were Canon). Hey but that's just me.

I'm satisfied but also curious enough to see what Canon has in store, as it will be the tech that I'll likely be using in a couple of years time. I think what they've done so far with the 6D and cleaner high ISO is encouraging. I'm a big fan of high ISO usability. Also a fan of built in radio on speedlites (another Canon first). Dual pixel AF is also a welcome innovation, but one I don't personally use (wouldn't say no to it!).

So, recap. Glad the R&D dollars (yen?) aren't going into making mirrorless retro fashion statements and are (probably) going into something that improves IQ.

5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2013, 11:45:12 PM »
What's Next for Canon?

Ask these guys, they will tell you ;D
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 11:56:10 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 22, 2013, 12:25:58 AM »
Retro is useless but can't be worse than TRONesque designs like the A7R. All in all, retro design can be the gaffer tape of mirrorless.

As to your point of size being a marketing ploy: if you think of interchangeable lens system and carrying a kit, I'd say you think like the new version of the newbie prosummer who is the target of those systems. Some of us here want a mirrorless where size is actually the main factor, fixed lens being totally fine. One focal to rule them all (they can probably have a 3 camera lineup, trinity wielding), daily camera for the photog man purse.

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2013, 05:54:43 AM »
As to your point of size being a marketing ploy: if you think of interchangeable lens system and carrying a kit, I'd say you think like the new version of the newbie prosummer who is the target of those systems. Some of us here want a mirrorless where size is actually the main factor, fixed lens being totally fine. One focal to rule them all (they can probably have a 3 camera lineup, trinity wielding), daily camera for the photog man purse.

No. I want one, only one camera system at a time. And I want the body to be as small as possible without having to "sacrifice" anything in image quality and ergonomic control. That way I can go "small and light" if I use  a small lens, with focal length of my choosing. Only when required, I'll use the small camera with a larger lens (tele) - and even then the system will still be lighter and less unwieldy than with a larger body. :-)

Therefore I have never and will never consider a camera with a bolted-on fixed focal lens. No way. And the mere thought of having to buy, own and carry three stupid fixed-lens cameras [Sigma DP-this-and that, Sony RX-1, yikes!] to cover shooting situations that could be easily covered with one small camera body plus 3 small lenses or even easier with one smallish zoom lens ... sounds even more stupid to me.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:08:16 AM by AvTvM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2013, 09:04:51 AM »
Retro is useless but can't be worse than TRONesque designs like the A7R. All in all, retro design can be the gaffer tape of mirrorless.

Wow...you took that like a man Grumbaki. I guess you didn't see my  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Feel better after getting that frustration off your chest?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:15:25 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2013, 09:45:04 PM »

Carrying 3 cameras with fixed lenses?? That don't make no sense,  aint nobody got time for that!  :o

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2013, 09:45:04 PM »

Ivan Muller

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2013, 04:29:49 AM »

Carrying 3 cameras with fixed lenses?? That don't make no sense,  aint nobody got time for that!  :o

Hey when I go photographing I carry a medium format with shift lens, tripod, small camera like a eos m and a 5d2 with some sort of a lens...photography is hard work but its a hell of a lot easier than the old days of schlepping a 4x5 with all the stuff and 10 darkslides for half a day... :)

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »

Hey when I go photographing I carry a medium format with shift lens, tripod, small camera like a eos m and a 5d2 with some sort of a lens...photography is hard work but its a hell of a lot easier than the old days of schlepping a 4x5 with all the stuff and 10 darkslides for half a day... :)

Well at least they are 3 different kinds of cameras for different purposes and have interchangeable lenses. I was referring to three with fixed lenses to do one job. So in that setup if he needed a fourth field of view he would buy another camera?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »