August 22, 2014, 11:44:41 PM

Author Topic: Brick Wall.  (Read 5382 times)

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
Re: Brick Wall.
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 08:10:14 PM »
Take more pictures of family and friends. They will look boring today, but they would age well unlike the originals.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 08:18:47 PM »
Take more pictures of family and friends. They will look boring today, but they would age well unlike the originals.
This. ;) Photography is not only fun when shooting, but a pleasure to revisit in the future.

dryanparker

• Rebel T5i
  • Fine art photographer based in Miami.
    • View Profile
    • D RYAN PARKER Fine Art Photography
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 08:27:05 PM »
First off, hang in there! Everyone with creative ambition goes through non-creative spells. You need to be refreshed and re-invigorated.

I work heavily on inspiration, and my best work is definitely revealed in those moments. But they can be fleeting.

Two ideas:

1) Shoot something totally different. Like, motorsports or get a field-level photo pass for a soccer game.

2) Shoot WITH something totally different. I was in a similar position not long ago. I sold my gear and bought a medium format film camera, and it's changed how I approach my photography. It also reveals to me what I love about shooting digital! Film requires me to be more meticulous with how I shoot, and that's FUN. But it's also limiting in many ways, which has shown me what I took for granted before, and that's INSPIRING.

My two cents!
5D3, 24-70L II, TS-E 24L II, Zeiss ZE 15 T* // X100S
www.dryanparker.com

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 08:33:15 PM »
Hi Paul.
Now you have expressed your problem on here to us, the wrong people, it is time for you to explain to your partner how you feel about the huffing and puffing, and how it spoils your enjoyment of your hobby.
Explain that you would much rather do your hobby alone or with your partner but in the knowledge that they really want to be there.
I like classic cars and photography, my misses likes classic cars and classic motorbikes.
We do cars together and I mostly do photography alone and she mostly does bikes alone.
Sometimes I huff and puff my way round a bike jumble and sometimes she huffs and puffs whilst I take pictures!
We both do other things together too but these are where we go to "meditate" unwind relax whatever you care to call it.
You need to clear this up sooner rather than later, that does not mean looking to one of the other 3 billion people, just discussing the problem and reach an amicable compromise.
Hope this makes some sense as it is 01:30 hrs

Cheers Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

paul13walnut5

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 08:40:55 PM »
Cheers guys.

Like the shoot with something different idea.

I have me EOS 3 gathering dust.  Might load it up with some XP2.

Or maybe this is the excuse I've needed to buy a contax g2, bronica RF or Pentax 6x7?

dryanparker

• Rebel T5i
  • Fine art photographer based in Miami.
    • View Profile
    • D RYAN PARKER Fine Art Photography
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 08:46:58 PM »
Cheers guys.

Like the shoot with something different idea.

I have me EOS 3 gathering dust.  Might load it up with some XP2.

Or maybe this is the excuse I've needed to buy a contax g2, bronica RF or Pentax 6x7?

If film inspires you, by all means spin a few rolls! Another thought is maybe even renting a fast telephoto lens for few days would be new and exciting. Ever tried shooting with a 400/2.8? It's COOL. And quite different!
5D3, 24-70L II, TS-E 24L II, Zeiss ZE 15 T* // X100S
www.dryanparker.com

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2013, 09:09:22 PM »
I've been pretty low recently.  Not been able to get inspired about my photography at all.

My partner hates it.  Hates the waiting.  Doesn't see the point of driving miles to sit for ages waiting for light, yet insists on coming with me, huffing and puffing.

Tried the usual tricks. Bring your kindle, put game of thrones on your ipad etc.  Yet to no avail.

I'm just not getting peace to do my photography, and I don;t look forward to it any more and don't come up with any intersting or challenging briefs.

I don't know what to do.  Take a break.  Give up.  Put the gear away for a while.

I've stopped reading photo magazines as they are so repetitive.

Inspire me.  Something new.

Dear sir, Mr. paul13walnut5
Yes, Sir---I have been in your situation/ Super Boring and Stop Shooting the Photos---That 7-8 years ago.
I start shooting the Photographs Since I was 12-13 years old with my Daddy camera Rollieflex 120, And Shoot the Photos for the School, For my University, Until I graduate and Get the Great Job and Work in Bangkok , Thailand until age 25---Yes, I keep on shooting in every subjects, At  age 25, in 1974, I and my new wed wife, just grab 2 small baggage and get the cheap airplane one way ticket ---With 50 US Dollars in my pocket, and come to USA. and Live with my Older sister for 2 months, and work 3  hard  labor jobs in every days( from working as Chief Architect in the big Construction company in Bangkok , to do the Hard Labor job, Dishwashing in the Hotel's Restaurant, The Painter---Ha, Ha, Ha)---No more Phography, because High cost of films and high cost of develope to get the Photos.  Yes, Working 16-20 hours a day, 7 days aweek, and get money, and send my wife to get the PHD. degree in University, And After my wife graduated, She get the job, and I  do just one job in the night time, and go to school in the day time, until I got the Master degree in Architecture in 1981. Yes, Make a short cut, After work as Architect for many company, I set up my own company A/ E.  company in 1985 and Make  as the American's dream to day.

Yes, 7-8 Years ago, I stop Shooting the photos, because I so boring after buy a lot of photographic equipment with out worry about money, and see my self, and my photos = NO IMPROVEMENT AT ALL  .

Just, one day, I meet one Old Photographer( Retired Professor/ Scientist = 78 years young at heart) , who shooting the flower at the sidewalk. Yes I talk to him and explain my boring of Photography Hobby, and stop taking the Photo.  Yes, He tell me come to join him as the member of local Photography/ Camera Club, And Learn some thing new, Plus teach/ Give my Photography Tricks to the members too---Yes, Two way street---And I get Hook, Not only be the member of two Camera/ Photography Clubs, But I volunteer to teach at the Photography classes at local Community Colledge too.
Yes, Both volunteer job that make me hope and more happy of my love hobby again after stop/ boring 7-8 years ago.  Yes, I just join to be a member of Canon Rumors Web Site about 3 months ago, and have learn from so many great teachers , the PRO, and all members---Learn both new technology and the Difference Ideas that make me think , learn and see the difference point of views in my life.

Yes, Sir, I hope that you can see and understand my problem solving of my boring/ stopping love of photography, by volunteer to share our knowledge of photography and our creation to the young/ beginner  photographers, in your home town.

Have a great week ahead.
Surapon

PS. The Photo below = Dr. cal Wong, The Old man , who take the Photos of the flowers at the side walk and invite me to be the member of the local; photography/ Camera club.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 09:25:04 PM by surapon »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2013, 09:29:11 PM »
A young looking 78!  Maybe I should go along to see what the local club, Paisley Colour, are doing these days?

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2013, 09:38:47 PM »
A young looking 78!  Maybe I should go along to see what the local club, Paisley Colour, are doing these days?

Yes, Sir, Dear Paul.
You can share your Tons of Tricks/ Knowledge in Photography, Same as you share with us in CR.
Good Night, Sir.
Surapon

scottkinfw

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2013, 09:46:53 PM »
Hey Paul

Sorry to hear you are so low.  We ALL go through it, life is tough.  I'm thinking your art and your relationship are intermingled here, and only you can know how they interplay.

Perhaps you are just burned out of your current genre?  You are not getting support from your so, and it is hard to enjoy anything with huffing and puffing going on.

I think you need to assess the relationship, and get it in order, and make it better, if that is what you choose, or do something else, and make yourself better- again, for you to choose.

For others, it is a canoe.  Photography is my canoe.  My brick wall is that I had a life changing experience on safari, but if I can ever go back, it won't be for a loooong time.  Not much wildlife here.  I have found challenge and reward (and hopefully improvement) by choosing other subjects to shoot, while also giving me a reason to explore.

This weekend, I went to an air show.  I know, nothing novel, but, simple, inexpensive, close to home, had a good time, and met some nice Canon people and made some new friends.  Next month, I'll explore the west over Thanksgiving- never been there, and I won't be the first one to shoot any of it, but whatever.  I am not sitting at home being miserable.  I tried that before, and I found that it is much more fun to have fun.

I think that joining a camera group sounds like a great idea and I am going to look into it myself.

I hope you feel better soon.   I think when you address whatever it is blocking you the faster you will rejoin the (Canon) world.

Hang in there.

sek
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

chilledXpress

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 01:24:03 AM »
I'm going to suggest something that might sound a bit out of place... take a break. If this isn't a job there is no reason a break would harm.

I changed my profession a few years ago and went on to a paid photography business. As unfortunate as it happened to be, I became disillusioned with shooting for hire. I took a fun hobby and made it a job. Very much like the "funk" you describe, I began to wonder what it was all for and what my motivations were. I took a break from shooting for fun until it became my pleasure again. I continued working but I made a very distinct line between work and home. It was odd at first not carrying the camera with me everywhere. I was always the guy with the cameras rain or shine, and without them I felt I lost some of my identity. I needed time away before I could appreciate what photography was for me personally. I pulled out books that inspired me in the early days. I reread biographies of great photographers like Avedon, Friedlander, Mann, etc... I became use to my everyday life without the need of my camera. After some time the fire returned and I started to see pictures I wanted to make... I wanted to take. That was the key, the fire I needed. I think it comes down to balance, balance in life and pursuits. Too much of anything can wear on your mind and soul.

A break might do you some good, might reset your fire. It definitely wont hurt.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:26:07 AM by chilledXpress »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 01:52:10 AM »
I just managed to enroll my wife to a baking class during weekends.  What do you know, I have a lot of time now during weekends.  My 5-year old little daughter would always happily strut it with me wherever I go.  She's a lot different from her mother who hates the tropical weather.  :)  I guess it's just finding something for your other half to waste her time with while you're pursuing what you really want.  Having found each other's passion is truly amazing.  We got to spend time together and yet we both have some time for ourselves.  It's fun really...  She was able to understand what I'm doing as I had understand hers.  Good luck finding your peace and creativity then you'll be a happy man again.  :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 01:57:21 AM by verysimplejason »

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 02:37:18 AM »
My partner hates it.  Hates the waiting.  Doesn't see the point of driving miles to sit for ages waiting for light, yet insists on coming with me, huffing and puffing.

If your partner doesn't share your passion, then you need room in the relationship to pursue it.  If you can't get that then there are another three billion people to choose from and you need to ask yourself if it is worth being unhappy like this.

Jim

Aren't you being a bit narrow minded there. I'd say it's closer to six billion.

To Paul: People do need space from each other, regardless of ...well... anything. If your other half is not giving it to you, at some point it'll create conflicts.

Everyone is unique, and every situation is unique, so it's tough to give advice on how to proceed there. For me, luckily I have even more passionate hobby than photography (saying after spent 12h this weekend with camera, some 3000 clicks, now working on LR). I do martial arts where we (literally) hit each other on the head with wooden sticks. Man, there's no better way to de-stress. No matter how bad day at office, couple good whacks on the head, and hopefully I can share couple back too, and it's all good again. Same goes for any stress at home or anything, after beating my hobby-buddies with a stick and getting myself beaten too, it's all good again.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 04:09:23 AM »
i was sort of feeling the same recently my solution was just leave the camera lone for a while go for a walk around or go somewhere with no camera at all and just look at stuff maybe imagine how you might shoot something after a while of doing this you will start to feel more inspiration to take photos and bring the camera along again
APS-H Fanboy

paul13walnut5

« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 04:38:35 AM »
Yeah, thinking that maybe getting back out on the push-bike might have some physical and mental benefits.  Just as the Scottish Winter looms!