July 28, 2014, 08:25:55 AM

Author Topic: Yongnuo's 600-exrt compatinle transmitter!  (Read 29992 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: Yongnuo's 600-exrt compatinle transmitter!
« Reply #195 on: February 11, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »
They are still readily available for less than $145, though some people are charging more.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #195 on: February 11, 2014, 10:53:50 AM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 11, 2014, 01:49:19 PM »
They are still readily available for less than $145, though some people are charging more.

I just pulled the trigger on one from ebay'er in Hong Kong. I got it for about $145.80 with free shipping.

It indicated I'd not get it till March 3 through March 20th....

Now....I'm already getting impatient on waiting for it to arrive!!!

:D

cayenne

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 01, 2014, 11:13:28 PM »
So after using my YN-E3-RT in a pro environment for a few weeks I have to say, it sucks. Mine has been unreliable, with regular loss of communication, remote misfires, and very touchy menu interface that only happens when the thing is mounted on a camera.

I now have to take it off camera to make any adjustments to remote or menu settings, also once the thing drops a flash you have to take it very close to reconnect, even with fresh batteries.

The thing is a frustration, when it works it is fantastic, especially on pre 2012 bodies, when it doesn't, I just want to throw it away. It is not in the same league of reliability as the Canon ST-E3-RT that I also own.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 02, 2014, 07:53:29 AM »
That is unfortunate to hear - I have had amazing results with the 622C system under various conditions. At the suggestion of the dlink below, I have been using Alkaline batteries rather than NiHM rechargeables as the voltage drop-off is sudden on NiMH and with Alkalines it is gradual. The 622C's require 2.2v to operate correctly.
Is it possible you are up against a similar design constraint with the  YN-E3-RT? Perhaps try a good set of Alkalines in them instead.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B77OmmGIg0gMVFpqNkpBYXBHajA/edit?pli=1

A couple of quotes from the link above...
"If the voltage becomes low (total 2.2 volts), the 622 will turn off automatically."
"Alkaline batteries start at 1.5 volts and hold their voltage until the very end. Rechargeables at 1.2 volts are already 20% down, and approaching the threshold for the 622. Alkaline characteristics are well suited to this type of device, with a 60-hour standby time. (NiMH batteries are great as flash batteries, being capable of a rapid discharge into the capacitor.)"

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 02, 2014, 02:46:34 PM »

I just pulled the trigger on one from ebay'er in Hong Kong. I got it for about $145.80 with free shipping.

It indicated I'd not get it till March 3 through March 20th....

Now....I'm already getting impatient on waiting for it to arrive!!!

:D

cayenne

I got word that mine got held up by HK customs. THey ebay seller asked if I wanted to cancel or have them try again…I asked to try again, so waiting to see if it comes in….

Hope mine works better than PBD's did…

:(

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 02, 2014, 09:46:15 PM »
So after using my YN-E3-RT in a pro environment for a few weeks I have to say, it sucks. Mine has been unreliable, with regular loss of communication, remote misfires, and very touchy menu interface that only happens when the thing is mounted on a camera.

I now have to take it off camera to make any adjustments to remote or menu settings, also once the thing drops a flash you have to take it very close to reconnect, even with fresh batteries.

The thing is a frustration, when it works it is fantastic, especially on pre 2012 bodies, when it doesn't, I just want to throw it away. It is not in the same league of reliability as the Canon ST-E3-RT that I also own.

Here is a review of the YN-E3-RT and the reviewer has issues with his unit too.
http://www.lightingrumours.com/yongnuo-yn-e3-rt-review-5576#.UxPpnJ2EjaQ

Perhaps there are some early reliability kinks to be worked out. Is the unit USB flash-able?

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 02, 2014, 10:23:20 PM »

Here is a review of the YN-E3-RT and the reviewer has issues with his unit too.
http://www.lightingrumours.com/yongnuo-yn-e3-rt-review-5576#.UxPpnJ2EjaQ

Perhaps there are some early reliability kinks to be worked out. Is the unit USB flash-able?

Yes it is, and I am running the latest firmware.

My issues are not like his, his sound like a hardware quality control problem. Mine are quite different, mine works great for an hour or so (if taking it off camera to make adjustments is OK) but after that it becomes more and more unreliable, even if I switch it off, put new batteries in it etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #201 on: March 02, 2014, 10:23:20 PM »

Janbo Makimbo

• EOS M2
  • 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 03, 2014, 02:10:55 AM »
All that glistens.....

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #203 on: March 03, 2014, 03:37:03 AM »
All that glistens.....

Not to question pbd's review, but he's using 1d3 cameras (afaik) and seems to be the first one to report these problems. Imho it's a bit to early to doom Yn's controller, if one select Canon product would show issues this would be attributed to rtfm, broken hardware, impossibly unlikely circumstances and whatnot. I hope Yn will contribute some insight once pdb sends them a description.

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 03, 2014, 03:49:01 AM »
while pbd and other reports are valuable and certainly raise a "caution" flag, we don't know yet, whether the Yongnuo YN-E3's suffers from
  • general design issues and/or
  • problems related to reverse-engineering of Canon technology involved and/or
  • quality control issues
or whether the rpeorted problems are "unfortunate, but isolated" ... as they also can occur in much more expensive OEM gear, including Canon.   

What concerns me a little lateley is the relative inactivity on Yongnuo's side.
  • Following launch of the YN-E3 there were firmware updates almost on a weekly basis, but that has stopped with FW v1.08 ... either because Yongnuo considers things to be "as perfect as they can be at the moment" ... or due to other reasons.
  • Yongnuo is still not giving a release date for its YN-600EX speedlite - announced in 10/2103 ... and they do not provide any reasons for the delay. Hardly any communication from their end. Maybe they did run into technical problems ... and/or Canon has started to bring down the legal hammer on them ... who knows
let's see how this story develops ...

For professional photogs in need of reliable gear, getting an original Canon ST-E3 along with the only RT speedlites available up to now [600EX-RT] has been and will be no big issue anyways. Especially if they are using 2012+ camera models ... as is the case for many, if not most.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #205 on: March 03, 2014, 04:05:42 AM »
What concerns me a little lateley is the relative inactivity on Yongnuo's side.

I absolutely agree about general caution concerning newly introduced tech items, but "relative inactivity" makes me rather think of Canon :-> ... think how long it took them to ack and fix the 600rt+5d3 af assist lag!

It's likely the Yn engineers are currently busy with the 600ex-clone flash and will pick up working on the controller once they've got to integrate these with the Canon environment. I'm hopeful Yn has build the controller as generic as possible, so that a lot of issues can be fixed with a fw update and the hardware isn't blocking a solution.

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 03, 2014, 06:39:36 AM »
I am watching this thread with great interest as I am considering getting one of the YN-600 flashes when they come out. I have been using YN stuff since 2008 and while the build quality has never been as good as OEM gear, I have generally been really happy with their product. I hope the recent issues are isolated cases and are fixed via a FW update.

Sam18

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 03, 2014, 11:54:53 AM »
I've been using my YN E3-RT very lightly, but I took it out the other day, set my 600EX-RT to slave and it connected right away. I mostly use it for ExpoDisc exposures so I can fire the flash at the camera with minimal hassle.
EOS 6D, EOS SL1, some lenses
Speedlite 600 EX RT and YongNuo YN ST E3 RT
Speedlite 430 EX II x2 and Phottix Strato Multi II Transmitter, Receiver x2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #207 on: March 03, 2014, 11:54:53 AM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 03, 2014, 10:25:26 PM »
All that glistens.....

Not to question pbd's review, but he's using 1d3 cameras (afaik) and seems to be the first one to report these problems. Imho it's a bit to early to doom Yn's controller, if one select Canon product would show issues this would be attributed to rtfm, broken hardware, impossibly unlikely circumstances and whatnot. I hope Yn will contribute some insight once pdb sends them a description.

Yep, 1Ds MkIII's predominantly.

My overview of the YN-E3-RT is this, if you have pre 2012 bodies get it if you are not going to be a heavy or long session user. If you have post 2012 bodies don't get it, the ST-E3-RT is a much better buy and it is certainly worth $100 more then the YN. If you have paid >$2,000 for a body, $450 per flash then the $100 difference is not worth saving, and at this point in time the only flash the YN works with is a $450ish flash, saving $100 shouldn't be paramount in that market.

As for contacting YN, I have done that before, there is no point. They steamroller you and don't listen.

If any body wants a used YN-E3-RT drop me a PM, I am going to stick to my reduced functionality, but 100% reliable, ST-E3-RT.

I am not down on YN in general, I still have and use their RF-602's, and for manual flash via radio the YN-560II is crazy good value at $75, but they shouldn't be playing in the $150 trigger market.

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #209 on: March 04, 2014, 12:25:29 PM »
Interesting. I have the ST-E3 and three 600's. The extra features like AF assist or second curtain sync never bothered me. If I need AF assist I'm mobile and have a 600 on the camera for bounce and two others on stands. In the studio the ST-E3 is on the camera. 5D3 so Group Mode is ousting. Thanks for the write up.       

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #209 on: March 04, 2014, 12:25:29 PM »