April 19, 2014, 02:26:55 PM

Author Topic: Hello Old Friend.  (Read 2671 times)

paul13walnut5

Re: Hello Old Friend.
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 05:49:21 AM »
Two words: Barrel Lenses

Whats a barrel lens?

New one on me!

I loved the old scalloped lenses of the Minolta SR early MC era!  It felt like you were building a rifle when you were putting your camera together.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2013, 05:49:21 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 10:28:59 AM »
Nice story. :)

docholliday

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
Two words: Barrel Lenses

Whats a barrel lens?

New one on me!

I loved the old scalloped lenses of the Minolta SR early MC era!  It felt like you were building a rifle when you were putting your camera together.

They're my favorite lenses to shoot. Stuff like old Dallmeyer or Wollensak lenses - makes the Minolta SR stuff look brand new and futuristic. Most use Waterhouse stops (no adjustable "f/stop") and most are shutterless. Some used truly exotic materials in the manufacturing, such as uranium. Most are brass barreled...

I had converted an older LF camera to have the rear plate set up with an EF mount (making my own Cambo X2-pro) and the optics of the barrel lenses on the front board. Beautiful character in the lenses. Not always the sharpest, but very unique and dreamy lens qualities. However, some were sharper than the best lenses today (but only in that very narrow plane of focus).

The nice part was when I wanted to do B&W, I wasn't limited to the lack of character and definition shooting digital and printing on a wide-format - I would just change the back and shove in a piece of 8x10 film.

I used to have an old Minolta SR-7 - it was the camera that made me hate small format. From there, I went to medium and then large format. It wasn't until the 1DsMkII that I came back!

paul13walnut5

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 12:55:23 PM »
Oh right, like the forebear to the lens lomography are developing then?

Never cared much for the electronic xe or xg minoltas much either, I had a later x500 for a bit (more transparent in use than the x700) but generally pretty yukky.  The SR's were quite different though, huge, solid.

I went as large as 645 with my ETRSi, I found the smaller and medium formats more immediate and more portable, quite like the idea of an EOS body with front and back shifts and movements, but little time to fully explore it at present.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 12:55:23 PM »