To set the scene: I've been working with zoom lenses for the past 3 years (24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f4 IS). I use a 5DmkIII, and as backup a 650D/Rebel. Now, I want to take my photography further, as I absolutely admire the look of photo's taken with a fast prime lens, being f1.2 or f1.4, the nice bokeh, the thin DOF which gets the attention to the subject...
So, I am looking for my first prime lens, which I'll use for weddings and portraits, but I don't know which one. I already have the 50mm f1.8, but the quality isn't perfect, not sharp wide open and no nice bokeh.
Therefore, I'm doubting on following combinations:
- Set with: 35-85-135mm: Get the sigma 35mm f1.4 and maybe canon 85mm f1.8 as well right now, afterwards I can still get the 135mm, or;
- Set with 24/28-50-100mm: Get the canon 50mm f1.4 now, buy canon 100mm macro afterwards, possibly get the 24mm or 28mm later as well.
I don't have a huge budget, so the expensive lenses above 1200 EUR/USD are out for the moment... When I look at which focal lengths I use most, there is no clear winner between 35mm range or 50mm range. 35mm gets used more during preparation, party, the 50mm more during portraits, ceremony, etc.
I want to get out of my comfort zone of shooting with the 24-70, as I use this lens always at f3.5 or f4 due to lack of sharpness at f2.8.
To give you an idea of by whom I'm inspired:
- first of all Lindsay London (http://www.wellhellophotography.com/blog/
- Trevor Dayley http://www.trevordayleyblog.com/
- Jasmine Star http://www.jasminestarblog.com/index.cfm
I know I won't get such results in the beginning, but as they prefer fast primes and shoot these wide open a lot of the time, I believe practising a lot with a prime would help me the most..
Thank you so much for your advice, experiences, comments!