August 01, 2014, 12:25:01 AM

Author Topic: Teasers are over: new retro Nikon FF Body finally outed  (Read 11346 times)

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Teasers are over: new retro Nikon FF Body finally outed
« on: November 04, 2013, 12:50:34 PM »

Here it is:
http://nikonrumors.com/2013/11/04/this-is-the-nikon-df.aspx/

They've been hyping the balls out of this.  If you've been hiding under a rock and missed all the teaser videos, in five words or less, this new body is:

SLR
Full-Frame
Digital
Retro
Stills (only)

I just don't get it. It's got a prism and optical viewfinder, so it will not be small.  It's just a vintage film camera hiding modern tech beneath.  This is a fashion-skinned DSLR.

It's like they are going after (a) film users and (b) Fuji users who still want to look cool but with a larger sensor.  Or -- big reach here -- Leica users who really want autofocus?  (Surely they'd go with the new Sony rigs, right?)

I live in California, and I know a ton of arty kids with photography classroom experience who shoot old film SLRs partly for the craft of it and partly for the style of the old tech.  But these kids don't have the coin for an FF DSLR.

I'm lost here.  Unless the stills-only / no frills aspect of the design gets the price way down, I just don't get what they're aiming for here.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

Teasers are over: new retro Nikon FF Body finally outed
« on: November 04, 2013, 12:50:34 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Teasers are over: new retro Nikon FF Body finally outed
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 01:03:12 PM »
It just doesn't look as slim as my old OM1 film camera. It still looks rather thick but I could be wrong. There is nothing bad about the idea if it's done perfectly.

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 01:22:01 PM »
I will wait for Fuji FF - mirrorless. I wouldn't change anything about Fuji x100s, except body size for 35mm sensor - I'm ok with slightly bigger body size.

That Nikon retro looks  :-\
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 01:30:06 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 01:27:55 PM »
I like the "Made in Japan".

If the price is contained and Nikon has gone all-in in stills functionality - aka 24MP, 51pt AF, HSS, 6-7fps, interchangeable mirrors, etc... then it's a winner and finally a real successor to the D700.

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 01:33:04 PM »
Well I made my prediction on the other thread about the DF before seeing the pictures, and I recon I've got it right. Impossible to say without using one, but  I guess the physical controls could work well.

Nikon finally getting their ducks in a row; I think this camera will be a great success for them. 

And they've finally put the logo right again after years of it looking wind swept - or drunk.  ;)

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 01:33:53 PM »

If the price is contained and Nikon has gone all-in in stills functionality - aka 24MP, 51pt AF, HSS, 6-7fps, interchangeable mirrors, etc... then it's a winner and finally a real successor to the D700.

I don't believe that will be the offering:
http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/28/nikon-df-camera-rumors-recap.aspx/

Looks like A+ for mechanicals and B for features / electronics / bells and whistles.

- A

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »

I don't believe that will be the offering:
http://nikonrumors.com/2013/10/28/nikon-df-camera-rumors-recap.aspx/

Looks like A+ for mechanicals and B for features / electronics / bells and whistles.

- A

I still hope the rumour will be proven untrue tomorrow :)

Otherwise it's just a revamped and overpriced D610.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2013, 01:53:32 PM »
Gotta love that old film SLR styling straight out of the early 1980's.  To complete the package, you just need a groovy mullet haircut and a sweet ride like an early 80's Mazda 626...

EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2013, 02:30:09 PM »
Gotta love that old film SLR styling straight out of the early 1980's.  To complete the package, you just need a groovy mullet haircut and a sweet ride like an early 80's Mazda 626...

Well, they/you certainly now the target market here ;-)

I would be totally happy to have a digital Canon F1n version of this (with a viewfinder that supports manual focus lenses) and load it into a fully restored early Celica.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

Aglet

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
I will wait for Fuji FF - mirrorless. I wouldn't change anything about Fuji x100s, except body size for 35mm sensor - I'm ok with slightly bigger body size.

That Nikon retro looks  :-\

yup, a big fence for next gear direction.
FF Fuji and FF Pentax rumors yet to bear fruit beyond photo of prototype.
Still luvin my d800s tho might consider swapping one for a Df.  I like all the basic controls on big, glove-able dials.

Does that 626 come with some sweet seatcovers?..  you know, the skintight demin variety, big hair, lots of eye makeup and .. ;)

paul13walnut5

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 03:08:14 PM »
Reminds me a little bit of...

paul13walnut5

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 03:09:08 PM »
I do know that I want those Mazda Wheel trims!

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 03:23:37 PM »
I don't know what it is about Nikon design, I understand the ergonomic reasoning for having dedicated buttons for functions, but why does every Nikon look like the designers cashed in on a Chinese button and lever manufacturers fire sale?

P.S. If Canon make an A-1 lookalike they can keep it.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 03:23:37 PM »

DRR

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 03:40:30 PM »

I don't get who this is for exactly. If it's priced right it'll sell. I'm sure it's a fine camera. If I'm a Nikon user though I don't think I'd be all that excited. If Canon came out with the same thing, I wouldn't be particularly excited.

The size is my main sticking point. It doesn't appear to be any smaller/thinner than an entry level DSLR. It looks smaller than the Nikon FF offerings but not significantly. I like the dial approach but I feel like they've gone overboard a bit.

Contrast this to the recent Sony FF mirrorless offerings - much smaller lighter, thinner. If Canon came out with something like the A7 I'd be intrigued.

Basically if they could take the mirror box out of a 6D, make it thinner and lighter, and price it under $1500 body only, have full EF lens compatibility, I think that would be a winner.

RomainF

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 04:00:57 PM »
Will be priced at 3.000$ with kit lens (50 1.8 ) and 2700$ without.

http://nikonrumors.com/2013/11/04/this-is-the-nikon-df.aspx/

:o
Leica & Canon
35 1.4 for both ; ultra-wide & teles for the Canon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 04:00:57 PM »