September 18, 2014, 08:16:16 PM

Author Topic: Canon abandoned EOS M?  (Read 7980 times)

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Canon abandoned EOS M?
« on: November 30, 2013, 02:47:47 PM »
Considering the enormous price drop, the non-release of EF-M 11-22 in the USA, and EF-M 22mm discontinued in BH site, it seems to me that the EOS-M system will be abandoned soon. What do you think?

canon rumors FORUM

Canon abandoned EOS M?
« on: November 30, 2013, 02:47:47 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon abandoned EOS M?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »
Unlikely.  First, the 11-22 decision was Canon USA, not Canon HQ.

More likely, the price drop is to get people to buy into the system.  The 11-22 launch delay in the US may be to make a bigger splash with the M2.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 04:26:53 PM »
Considering the enormous price drop, the non-release of EF-M 11-22 in the USA, and EF-M 22mm discontinued in BH site, it seems to me that the EOS-M system will be abandoned soon. What do you think?

It's just my guess, but I think that the EOS-M was supposed to have a dual-pixel sensor in it and with the long development times the camera and lenses were ready way before dual-pixel technology, so the EOS-M was put out as-is to get some people started buying lenses.... slap in a 70D sensor and the EOS-M can compete with any of the other mirrorless cameras...
The best camera is the one in your hands

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 06:35:30 PM »

It's just my guess, but I think that the EOS-M was supposed to have a dual-pixel sensor in it and with the long development times the camera and lenses were ready way before dual-pixel technology, so the EOS-M was put out as-is to get some people started buying lenses.... slap in a 70D sensor and the EOS-M can compete with any of the other mirrorless cameras...
I agree that a M2 with 70D sensor could give new impetus to the system M. However it is strange that Canon takes so long to release M2, when most of the technology is already available. Worse still is the weak support EF-M lenses. As a comparison, Sony already offers more lenses for NEX, but offers few lenses for Alpha full frame DSLR. This explains the Sony NEX leadership in its market segment, and the failure of Sony Alpha full frame DSLR, until now.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:40:24 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 06:53:02 PM »
"If you build it, they will come."

Canon was in a pickle/Catch 22.  Slow M sales meaning a small user base, meaning low incentive to develop EF-M lenses, meaning slow M sales.

That's what I meant about the price drop to spur system uptake.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »

Canon was in a pickle/Catch 22.  Slow M sales meaning a small user base, meaning low incentive to develop EF-M lenses, meaning slow M sales.

The danger is getting into a vicious cycle, which does not sell well because there is no variety of lenses, and throws no new lenses because they do not sell well. The only solution would be sold cheaply to win users? What is the future of M sistem, which depends on lens adapter, stealing the advantage of size and weight?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 07:05:53 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 07:18:22 PM »

The danger is getting into a vicious cycle, which does not sell well because there is no variety of lenses, and throws no new lenses because they do not sell well. The only solution would be sold cheaply to win users? What is the future of M sistem, which depends on lens adapter, stealing the advantage of size and weight?

The M "System" does not require a lens adapter. EF-M lenses are natively designed for EOS-M cameras, no adapter necessary. The vicious cycle can easily be broken by getting people to buy in, and that is easy enough to do with a price drop. Once people have the available parts, they will inevitably want more...more lenses, better bodies, etc. Canon just has to get through the cycle, and they'll be fine. EOS-M isn't going anywhere, and, for that matter, neither are it's sales performance unique...Nikon and Sony both have had some trouble with getting mirrorless sales to pick up...2012 was not a kind year to the mirrorless market (particularly Nikon's...their stock value is down over 23% this year, biggest looser in their index.)

If you ask me, mirrorless (at least as a market takeover product) is a little ahead of its time. On top of that, just like DSLRs, they are feeling the effects of market and economic factors. A downer global economy, and that's what we still have, stock market gains are largely smoke and mirrors. While more jobs may have been created "in general", across the board people are making less money, many significantly less. So while we may be having a working force recovery, people don't have any more disposable income to spend on things like cameras than they did before...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 07:20:41 PM by jrista »
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 07:18:22 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 07:34:56 PM »
What is the future of M sistem, which depends on lens adapter, stealing the advantage of size and weight?

Probably reasonably bright.  Canon has strong R&D and good market position.  They've got a standard zoom, a not-too-wide prime, and an ultrawide zoom.  All have good optical quality and a nice build/finish.  They're mainly missing a short telezoom (50-135 or 50-150, f/4.5-5.6), and perhaps a short tele fast prime (maybe 85/2.8).  Yes, there are other possibilities - but many wouldn't benefit much from shorter flange focal distance (e.g., an EF-M 17-55/2.8 wouldn't be much smaller than the adapted EF-S version).

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »

That Americans haven't warmed to the EOS-M and that Canon America doesn't think that they will. Don't confuse prices and product availability in the USA to be representative of the rest of the world.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 08:48:16 AM »

That Americans haven't warmed to the EOS-M and that Canon America doesn't think that they will. Don't confuse prices and product availability in the USA to be representative of the rest of the world.
As I do not live in USA , you could say that I do not care what Canon decides to sell there. But the truth is that the largest consumer market on the planet is a reference for the rest of the world yet. It turns out that in many countries , Canon officially distributes only a small part of their products , and most consumers need to buy " illegal importers ." Believe me when I say that in my country of 200 million people there is no camera store that has in stock "Canon 60DA" or accessories such as "Canon Angle Finder C". :( Even a prosaic original lens hood is very difficult to find without resorting to illegal importers . :-[ It turns out that these illegal importers buy in USA to resell (with exorbitant profit) . >:( If a product is not for sale in USA , it is not available in hundreds of countries. In practice , the U.S. market supplies many other countries , and if something is not sold there , will never reach the hands of most consumers.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 09:19:50 AM by ajfotofilmagem »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 09:14:47 AM »

The EOS-M has not been abandoned, it has yet to start.

It has been launched as a "me too" product. Its best selling point is the Canon branding.

Mind you, an APS-C sized sensor offers better long-term appeal than, say, the 1" sensor adopted by Nikon. At the current price it is actually a decent value for money. But without compelling bodies and lenses it's not going anywhere. Can't compete with the Fuji or NEX systems.

noncho

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • NonchoILiev.com
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2013, 04:06:21 PM »

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 10:17:18 PM »
It takes a long time to paste eagle feathers on a turkey.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2013, 10:17:18 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2013, 10:42:55 PM »
Mirrorless sales are tanking in the US and Europe, but doing great in Asia.  Canon is undecided about sinking a ton of $$ into new models to sell in the US/Europe.
I suspect that they will offer a high end model that appeals to enthusiasts, but are waiting for better financial times.  Canon is very conservative and it has paid off for them, while others are losing money, they are still profitable.  When the time is right to sell one for a profit, it will appear.

mb66energy

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 09:08:57 AM »

I heard some information that Canon is switching more and more to robotic assembly of cameras - perhaps they proceed with that process to be much more flexible in the future.

Perhaps Canon company tries to implement production technologies to be flexible in terms of camera variations and scale of production before it tries the next "adventure" with a new model? The original EOS M suffered from the combination of a high price and not enough "features" for it's price. So it might be a good idea to add an EVF with "tiny" effort just by reprogramming the production line ...

For me, I like the existing EOS M with the standard zoom and it has replaced my S95. It is not as pocketable, but IQ is much better and it allows me to use my trusted FD 1.4 50mm S.S.C. lens.

EDIT: So I am shure that Canon will develop the EOS M line furthermore but I do not expect an EF-M 2.8 300mm - I see room for compact EF-M lenses between 10 and 150mm which harmonize with the small footprint of the EOS M. E.g. a compact EF-M 2.8 10mm with very good IQ would be a dream!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 09:12:21 AM by mb66energy »
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 09:08:57 AM »