September 30, 2014, 07:02:23 AM

Author Topic: Advice Request - Selling Lens & Refund complaint  (Read 1330 times)

suburbia

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Advice Request - Selling Lens & Refund complaint
« on: November 30, 2013, 04:42:37 PM »
Sold a 2nd hand EF 24-105mm L IS lens on Amazon under "Used - Good" category as although the lens has had a fair amount of use over 4 years the glass is unmarked and zoom function is smooth.

The buyer requested a refund however complaining that the focusing made too much of a noise and therefore he regarded it as defective. Later some more detail was added to an official complaint saying this noise occurred when manually focusing.

I had used that lens fairly recently before selling and yes there is a slight sound when the auto focus and image stabiliser kicks in under silent conditions (that is normal right?!) but there is no way that is noticeable or distracting under normal shooting conditions.

I am particularly curious about him specifying the noise under manual focusing as I must admit it is not something i really did much of if ever.

Could there be a defect that manifests itself as noise when manually focusing and not during auto focus? Seems a bit strange to be honest.

canon rumors FORUM

Advice Request - Selling Lens & Refund complaint
« on: November 30, 2013, 04:42:37 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Advice Request - Selling Lens & Refund complaint
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 04:57:05 PM »
Debris/grit/sand under the MF ring (it doesn't move during AF)?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 05:14:17 PM »
Unfortunately you can't specify no return policy on amazon,  unlike ebay. This is a good thing for buyers. I sold mine recently and I'm waiting for the 30 days to expire. My lens works fantastically but people can invent any reason for return and I wouldn't want to deal with that. Unfortunately ebay charges too much fee now and I have switched to amazon as my primary trading site.
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 06:01:03 PM »
Make it easy on yourself, tell him to return the lens, if it doesn't come via tracking it never showed up you win

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 06:17:34 PM »
When you sell items online, expect a certain number of customers to have second thoughts, or unrealistic expectations.  In those cases, cheerfully refund the purchase price, don't even argue.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 06:43:06 PM »
Craigslist.  They try it, if they like it they give me cash, take the item and go. Done.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 05:55:05 AM »
(that is normal right?!)

Yes. And I agree with Mt. Spokane - some people just don't think straight. Have him return it, then (!) refund him.
5DIII, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200/4IS, 50/1.8II, 85/1.8 and a truckload of gimmicks and bits.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2013, 05:55:05 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2013, 06:45:06 AM »
Debris/grit/sand under the MF ring (it doesn't move during AF)?

yep i use my 24-105 in very harsh environments and it drags fine dust grit into the focus ring which needs to go in for cleaning once in a while it feels harsh and gritty when you turn it
so have you been using it in dusty sandy places?
APS-H Fanboy

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2013, 10:15:54 AM »
Sold a 2nd hand EF 24-105mm L IS lens on Amazon under "Used - Good" category as although the lens has had a fair amount of use over 4 years the glass is unmarked and zoom function is smooth.

The buyer requested a refund however complaining that the focusing made too much of a noise and therefore he regarded it as defective. Later some more detail was added to an official complaint saying this noise occurred when manually focusing.

I had used that lens fairly recently before selling and yes there is a slight sound when the auto focus and image stabiliser kicks in under silent conditions (that is normal right?!) but there is no way that is noticeable or distracting under normal shooting conditions.

I am particularly curious about him specifying the noise under manual focusing as I must admit it is not something i really did much of if ever.

Could there be a defect that manifests itself as noise when manually focusing and not during auto focus? Seems a bit strange to be honest.

I would refund the buyer, but if there is nothing physically wrong with the item you could add a 15% restocking fee; some people return stuff because they don't like it and make up problems to attempt to avoid restocking fees.  Also make sure the buyer did not break the item when inspecting item for refund, but it sounds like you are unsure if it worked to spec to begin with.  There is a chance there was an issue with the manual focus ring you were not aware of, it appears.

So in this case, I give a full refund (ask buyer to pay shipping back to you), inspect and if noise is there simply relist item with that noise in the description.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:17:49 AM by Ruined »

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2013, 10:18:54 AM »
Craigslist.  They try it, if they like it they give me cash, take the item and go. Done.

My only concern with that is that I've occasionally heard people getting fake bills.

Though I guess if you get a pen and UV tester you can avoid that.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 10:22:16 AM by Ruined »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 11:58:53 AM »
I sold mine recently and I'm waiting for the 30 days to expire. My lens works fantastically but people can invent any reason for return and I wouldn't want to deal with that. Unfortunately ebay charges too much fee now and I have switched to amazon as my primary trading site.

Amazon is good for the buyer, but scary for new sellers since dishonest buyers can take advantage of the policy. In fact, if an A-Z claim is made and approved, they don't even need to return the item AND will get the refund. I once sold a 50D on Amazon and that was a nail-biting 30 days after the transaction. Never again- only Craigslist for me, even if I have to sell it cheaper.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2013, 11:58:53 AM »