September 23, 2014, 04:41:11 PM

Author Topic: Canon EOS M2 Not Coming to North America  (Read 13683 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Canon EOS M2 Not Coming to North America
« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2013, 06:52:48 PM »
Without wanting to be condescending, had you of been watching websites such as dpreview for longer then you'd know that Canon's "peak" was not short, rather it lasted some number of years, maybe even as many as 5 and that it spanned the entire gamut of Canon cameras.

So, dpreview suggests that more people are looking at other brands more often now, but the sales data show that more people are still buying Canon.   I guess that means they look at other brands, but don't like what they seeā€¦  Judging by the ratings on Amazon.com, it seems that people who choose Canon are much happier with their purchases, as well.

The sales figures on Amazon.com do not reflect what is said about markets such as Asia where MILC has eaten up 35% of DSLR sales but it does reinforce Canon USA's decision not to bring EOS-M2 to the USA because its DSLRs sell well enough.

I think you're missing my point.  I was referring to sales figures reported by Canon and Nikon themselves. My reference to Amazon wasn't about sales ranking, but their Top Rated dSLR list, based on customer reviews.  I referred to that here:

If you want another interesting 'top 100' list, look at what Amazon buyers think of the products they've purchased.  Check their Top 100 Rated dSLRs list.  The top 14 are all Canon, only 3 Nikon in the top 20 (and all three are D3100/kits).  Dilbert, care to count the number of coworkers and friends to whom you 'can't recommend Canon', and compare that to the number of positive recommendations that Canon buyers took the time to post, that result in Canon dominating that list?

The awesome low ISO IQ, high resolution, astounding DR, and higher-than-any-other-dSLR DxOMark Sensor Score of the Nikon D800E have earned it the impressive rank of #76 on that list (only 14 spots behind the poor DR, horrible banding in the shadows 5DII).  The D800 and D600/D610?  Nowhere to be found (although the D700 is on there...barely, at #98).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2013, 06:52:48 PM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »
I just checked a few minutes ago. Canon's 5DIII body and their 6D kit are in the top 10; the 6D body and the 5DIII kit are in the top 20. You have to drop down to #39 this morning to find a Nikon full frame on the list (the DF). It's absolutely front-page news that a camera body that lists for more than $3,000 can be outselling $500 cameras. And, it's equally newsworthy that they are significantly outselling a newly released, highly anticipated and much-hyped camera.

Not really. The Nikon Df is IMHO a mistake. A desperate mistake.

It's another option. It's a catering tool. It helps them cater to a specific, and yes possibly more niche, group of photographers. Nikon needs to do something. They make great products, but they are missing something somewhere, and even after some two decades, they haven't been able to topple the Canon beast. I applaud Nikon for thinking outside the box, even if that means thinking backwards a bit. At least they are demonstrating an interest in an increasingly common request from true blue stills photographers who want a camera built specifically just for them, without "any of that video crap."

I fully understand the request. I am not sure the request matters these days...R&D budgets aren't going to stop investing in video research, and creating a camera without the video features is actually probably less costly. Ironically, it seems to end up being a win/win in the end, possibly cheaper for the manufacturer to make, and more appealing to the most die-hard stills photographers.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2013, 09:19:40 PM »
A different but similarly interesting data point is the "top camera" search results on www.dpreview.com on their front page.

It used to be that Canon cameras were 6 out of 10 for a long while. Now Canon is 3 out of 10 and none in the top 5.

Sorry, dilbert not interesting nor even useful data.  As unfocused stated, it's meaningless.

Use the Amazon best sellers list. As of tonight, Canon has 13 of the top 20 best sellers. Nikon has 7.

What continues to amaze me is that the 5DIII consistently holds a slot in the top 10 against cameras that cost a fraction of what it costs. In fact the body only comes in at #9 and the body with lens is at #18. (The 6D kit is at #10 and the 6D body #13) There are not any full-frame Nikon bodies in the top 20.

If you want another interesting 'top 100' list, look at what Amazon buyers think of the products they've purchased.  Check their Top 100 Rated dSLRs list.  The top 14 are all Canon, only 3 Nikon in the top 20 (and all three are D3100/kits).  Dilbert, care to count the number of coworkers and friends to whom you 'can't recommend Canon', and compare that to the number of positive recommendations that Canon buyers took the time to post, that result in Canon dominating that list?

The awesome low ISO IQ, high resolution, astounding DR, and higher-than-any-other-dSLR DxOMark Sensor Score of the Nikon D800E have earned it the impressive rank of #76 on that list (only 14 spots behind the poor DR, horrible banding in the shadows 5DII).  The D800 and D600/D610?  Nowhere to be found (although the D700 is on there...barely, at #98).

Ah, stupid me. You're confining the Amazon results to DSLRs whereas I'm referring to digital cameras.

It is not possible to compare the information available from Amazon with that from dpreview because Amazon does not offer a combined "digital camera top 10" - it separates out DSLRs vs everything else.

So the whole discussion about dpreview statistics vs Amazon is an apples and oranges problem.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2013, 12:35:34 AM »
A different but similarly interesting data point is the "top camera" search results on www.dpreview.com on their front page.

It used to be that Canon cameras were 6 out of 10 for a long while. Now Canon is 3 out of 10 and none in the top 5.

Sorry, dilbert not interesting nor even useful data.  As unfocused stated, it's meaningless.

Use the Amazon best sellers list. As of tonight, Canon has 13 of the top 20 best sellers. Nikon has 7.

What continues to amaze me is that the 5DIII consistently holds a slot in the top 10 against cameras that cost a fraction of what it costs. In fact the body only comes in at #9 and the body with lens is at #18. (The 6D kit is at #10 and the 6D body #13) There are not any full-frame Nikon bodies in the top 20.

Ah, stupid me. You're confining the Amazon results to DSLRs whereas I'm referring to digital cameras.

It is not possible to compare the information available from Amazon with that from dpreview because Amazon does not offer a combined "digital camera top 10" - it separates out DSLRs vs everything else.

So the whole discussion about dpreview statistics vs Amazon is an apples and oranges problem.

"Digital cameras" is an extremely broad and diverse pool. Makes it difficult to determine what's occurring, and more specifically, WHY it is occurring. Global statistics have their use, but they don't make for good comparisons. It would be like putting out two baskets full of random fruit, sourced from a variety of locations, but each one sourced from different locations. Trying to determine why people are eating from one basket or the other is largely meaningless...you have no detail, only a single overarching result: Basket B was eaten from more than Basket A. That doesn't tell anyone anything, and isn't any better than comparing apples to oranges.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2013, 11:26:08 PM »

"Digital cameras" is an extremely broad and diverse pool. Makes it difficult to determine what's occurring, and more specifically, WHY it is occurring. Global statistics have their use, but they don't make for good comparisons.

We don't have enough information to make anything more than informed guesses about what's occurring.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #139 on: December 08, 2013, 11:26:08 PM »