October 21, 2014, 05:37:35 AM

Author Topic: Should I be annoyed with Adorama... or is it my own dumb fault?  (Read 8989 times)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Should I be annoyed with Adorama... or is it my own dumb fault?
« on: December 07, 2013, 10:13:10 PM »
So November 28th Adorama had a deal where you get the following:
Canon T3i and 18-55mm, a 75-300mm a 50mm f/1.8 II, a Slinger Photo Video Bag, a SanDisk 16GB Class 10, a USB 2.0 Secure Digital (SD / SDHC) Reader and a Digital Card Case and a Manfrotto Monopod all for the bargain basement price of $659.

It is a meh deal... not awful... not great.  BUT... advertised on the page were the attached images.  Notice that the 50mm would be a CRAZY good deal if they sent the 50mm f/1.2L?  I thought... hey... maybe if they make one screw up, then they might make two.  No... I got the 50mm f/1.8. 

So I sent them Adorama an email on on December 4 and then again on the December 5 which read:

Ya'll sent me a different lens than was pictured.  Mind providing me an explanation?

I didn't get a response... and I think that's what I'm annoyed about.  They could at least do me the courtesy of saying they screwed up and it wouldn't be practical for them to give me a 50mm L, but hey... maybe they try and make it up to me by not ignoring me. 

So... is it my own stupid fault or did Adorama maybe defraud their customers... just a little bit and I do have the right to be annoyed?
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

Should I be annoyed with Adorama... or is it my own dumb fault?
« on: December 07, 2013, 10:13:10 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
Re: Should I be annoyed with Adorama... or is it my own dumb fault?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 10:24:06 PM »
I doubt that you would have much luck, a Typo is a typo, and someone who posted the wrong photo is just another form of Typo.
Helen Oster at Adorama will answer your question, but don't expect a $1000 gift.

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 10:40:53 PM »
I doubt that you would have much luck, a Typo is a typo, and someone who posted the wrong photo is just another form of Typo.
Helen Oster at Adorama will answer your question, but don't expect a $1000 gift.

So one vote for own dumb fault... actually make that two. :)

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

Richard8971

• Canon 6D
  • "There is no spoon" - Neo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 10:59:02 PM »
I know this is not exactly the same thing, but I have had several dealings with Adorama and I have been very pleased with their service.

I bought a battery grip for my 40D (used) and it said it would be shipped with the 'AA' battery magazine. Well when it showed up, the magazine was not included. Now, I would never use the magazine, BUT I did buy it, so I emailed them and explained what happened.

After a couple of days I got an email from Adorama saying that they would investigate the matter. After a bit, they sent me an email saying that I would get the magazine in the mail along with an apology.

I would give them the benefit of the doubt. I believe that they are people of honor and will do their best to make it right...

D
Canon 5D2, 7Dv2.03, 50D, 40D, T1i, XTi...XT (& lenses, flahses), various powershots... You get the idea... I have a problem. :)

Wife shoots Nikon, D7000, D7100, (lenses and flashes)... we constantly tease each other that our cameras are better than each others!

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2013, 12:13:41 AM »
I would say in this case, the text stated it was a 1.8, so that is what you should have expected.

If both the pic AND the text said 1.2, then you'd have a case.

But I think the best you could expect is an apology and/or refund with you sending the gear back.

Not to add insult to injury, but I think that is not the best deal, either. ;)

Helen Oster

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Adorama Camera
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2013, 07:01:34 AM »
....... advertised on the page were the attached images.  ........ I got the 50mm f/1.8. 

So I sent them Adorama an email on on December 4 and then again on the December 5 which read:

Ya'll sent me a different lens than was pictured.  Mind providing me an explanation?

I didn't get a response... and I think that's what I'm annoyed about.  They could at least do me the courtesy of saying they screwed up and it wouldn't be practical for them to give me a 50mm L, but hey... maybe they try and make it up to me by not ignoring me. 

So... is it my own stupid fault or did Adorama maybe defraud their customers... just a little bit and I do have the right to be annoyed?

Please accept my apologies - if you email me directly: Helen@adorama.com, with your order number, then I will be delighted to check the situation for you.

Regarding the failure of the main Cs Team to respond to your enquiry, please understand that you sent your email  during the 5 busiest days of the retail year (and the week ahead is the 2nd busiest). If last year is anything to go by, then email responses will easily be 4 days  late.

I am on top of my emails only because I work from home and last week, was working up to 14 hours every day......

I look forward to hearing from you, and to resolving this as quickly as possible.
Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 02:12:12 PM »
....... advertised on the page were the attached images.  ........ I got the 50mm f/1.8. 

Please accept my apologies - if you email me directly: Helen@adorama.com, with your order number, then I will be delighted to check the situation for you.

Regarding the failure of the main Cs Team to respond to your enquiry, please understand that you sent your email  during the 5 busiest days of the retail year (and the week ahead is the 2nd busiest). If last year is anything to go by, then email responses will easily be 4 days  late.

I am on top of my emails only because I work from home and last week, was working up to 14 hours every day......

I look forward to hearing from you, and to resolving this as quickly as possible.

Have a happy holiday season, Helen, I know its a time of stress.  I'm hoping that business is good, because a healthy industry is good for all of us in the long run, while selling items for little or no profit is a short sighted benefit to buyers that can bite them as dealers fail.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2013, 02:12:12 PM »

Gino

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2013, 04:18:45 PM »
Last year around this time, Crutchfield had the Canon 6D listed for $899 on their website, with the 6D full specs, photo, and description posted.  At that low of a price, I made the purchase right away.  The next day Crutchfield sent me an email notifying me that there was an error on their website and they would cancel my order...they referred me to the fine print on their website, which clearly states they are not responsible for honoring errors on their website.

Of course I understood the price was a mistake, and I didn't make a big deal about the situation.  As the saying goes, If it sounds too good to be true (or looks too good to be true in the case of the internet) then it probably is!
Canon 1D X & 5D MK III | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300L | 24-105 f/4L | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 50 f/1.4 | 40 f/2.8 STM Pancake | Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM | Speedlite 220EX | Speedlite 600EX-RT

Skulker

• Canon 6D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2013, 04:39:13 PM »
So you ordered it thinking that they had made a mistake, and might follow it up with another. That you were quite happy to profit from.

When they did send you the lens you were expecting to get and you got what you were expecting, if not what you were hoping for, you sent them a less than straight forward e-mail asking for an explanation. When you were pretty sure you knew exactly what had happened, and it was what you were expecting anyway.

Then to top it all they didn't promptly reply to your smart e-mail!

So to reply to your thread subject line.

"Should I be annoyed with Adorama"   Well I would say only if you really think they have fallen from a high standard you might reasonable expect.

"or is it my own dumb fault?"  Well I would say only if you think its unreasonable to try to take advantage of what you think is a mistake.      But hey you are proving a point. I'll let you figure out what point it is you are proving, as I see it.  ;D

If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 06:16:31 PM »
Is it your own "dumb fault" ;D

Happy holidays
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 06:33:30 PM »
Reminder - We still ban users for abusive posts and language.  There is a lot of stress during the holiday season, but please act like adults.

Thanks and have a happy holiday.

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 07:38:30 PM »
Reminder - We still ban users for abusive posts and language.  There is a lot of stress during the holiday season, but please act like adults.

Thanks and have a happy holiday.

If you can accept criticism over one's own mistakes... and while there may be a tinge of venom... it isn't entirely misplaced... slings and arrows... outrageous fortune...

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »
Have a happy holiday season, Helen, I know its a time of stress.  I'm hoping that business is good, because a healthy industry is good for all of us in the long run, while selling items for little or no profit is a short sighted benefit to buyers that can bite them as dealers fail.

About 5 years ago I picked up a Canon XS and a 75-300 at a "little to no profit" price point... and as you can see by my signature... I didn't just stop at the Canon XS.  Call it a loss leader, call it market share, call it what you will, but it does not mean that discounting is a questionable business practice. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 07:42:51 PM »
Last year around this time, Crutchfield had the Canon 6D listed for $899 on their website, with the 6D full specs, photo, and description posted.  At that low of a price, I made the purchase right away.  The next day Crutchfield sent me an email notifying me that there was an error on their website and they would cancel my order...they referred me to the fine print on their website, which clearly states they are not responsible for honoring errors on their website.

Of course I understood the price was a mistake, and I didn't make a big deal about the situation.  As the saying goes, If it sounds too good to be true (or looks too good to be true in the case of the internet) then it probably is!

I should have simply walked away from the table.  I like the line... if you are at the poker table and you are looking around and don't see the mark... it's you. 

JonAustin

• EOS M2
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 07:58:47 PM »
I know this is not exactly the same thing, but I have had several dealings with Adorama and I have been very pleased with their service.

I bought a battery grip for my 40D (used) and it said it would be shipped with the 'AA' battery magazine. Well when it showed up, the magazine was not included. Now, I would never use the magazine, BUT I did buy it, so I emailed them and explained what happened.

After a couple of days I got an email from Adorama saying that they would investigate the matter. After a bit, they sent me an email saying that I would get the magazine in the mail along with an apology.

I would give them the benefit of the doubt. I believe that they are people of honor and will do their best to make it right...

D

I had a nearly identical experience with Adorama, almost a year ago (12/10/2012). I purchased a used BG-E4 grip for my Canon 5D, and it also arrived without the AA magazine. I didn't plan on using the magazine, either, but I thought it might be helpful to have it, in case I sold the grip later.

I contacted Adorama, and they sent me a new AA magazine; the "good" version with the gold contacts, not the earlier version with silver contacts that had received some bad press from users.

While I was waiting for Adorama to resolve this issue, it occurred to me that I might have to send the grip back for a refund, so I went looking for another used BG-E4. I found one on eBay from a private seller, who was not only including the AA magazine, but also 3 BP-11 batteries, all at a lower price than I had paid to Adorama. So I bought that, and when I received the AA magazine from Adorama, I put that grip up for sale, and sold it for more than I paid Adorama for it.

Anyway, back to the original thread topic, my experience with Adorama of late is that they make good on their mistakes, and the OP should not expect them to deliver a much more expensive lens, when the model was clearly stated in the ad, just because of a blunder in the accompanying photo.
Photographic equipment

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2013, 07:58:47 PM »