September 21, 2014, 06:35:38 PM

Author Topic: Military Aircraft: airshows, operational, whatever, lets see what you have!  (Read 36046 times)

ErikNZ

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Erik, who is the client, or clients, for these shots?  And your little foray into storytelling isn't too bad, but the part about climbing into the stars and moon, when it's daytime, doesn't quite make sense.

Carl, I shoot for a number of magazines and my work is also used by aviation book authors and publication houses. Without the support and accreditation of these, none of these great experiences would have been possible - well at least not for me anyway.

And are you trying to tell us that the moon and stars do not actually exist throughout the day?  ;D

Great story Erik!  Love the shot of the A-10.  I'm guessing you shot it out the back of a C-130 :)

You got that right! Taken from the ramp of a HC-130P Combat King to be exact, the dedicated Search and Rescue variant of the C-130.

F-4E | F-16D | B-52H | HC-130P | HH-60G | UH-1H | TH-1H | UH-72A | HH-3F | NH-500C | S208M | Mi-24V | A109 | SA316 | PC-7 | AS365 | SH-3D | AS532

canon rumors FORUM

Valvebounce

• 1D Mark IV
  • Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
    • View Profile
Hi Erik.
A great story, beautiful shot, but a fugly plane, a fantastic plane, I love em but fugly! I have not seen it fire live, but I have seen it on tv, I cannot imagine the psychological effect on an enemy of seeing the ground start to dance, then when it is all over hearing the BRRRRRRRPPPPP...
It is a shame they couldn't find one for you to photograph that hadn't been pounded on with a hammer!  :o

Cheers Graham.
7D + Grip, 40D + Grip, 20D, EF-S 17-85 Kit lens, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II USM, EF 2x III, Sigma 150-500, Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 C, 50mm f1.8, 550EX some Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!
20D, BG-E2N, 17-85mm, 50mm are pre loved. :)
(300D Saved a holiday, E-FS 18-55 Cosina 100-300 retired)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Erik, who is the client, or clients, for these shots?  And your little foray into storytelling isn't too bad, but the part about climbing into the stars and moon, when it's daytime, doesn't quite make sense.

Carl, I shoot for a number of magazines and my work is also used by aviation book authors and publication houses. Without the support and accreditation of these, none of these great experiences would have been possible - well at least not for me anyway.

And are you trying to tell us that the moon and stars do not actually exist throughout the day?  ;D

Great story Erik!  Love the shot of the A-10.  I'm guessing you shot it out the back of a C-130 :)

You got that right! Taken from the ramp of a HC-130P Combat King to be exact, the dedicated Search and Rescue variant of the C-130.

Haha, well you can't see the stars during the day...maybe you can at high altitude.  I was just saying it was confusing because it was making me think your flight initiated in pre-dawn hours, but it didn't...did it?

I've seen Jupiter and Venus during the daytime, at least on a "cobalt blue sky" day, easier with binoculars than the naked eye, though.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Erik,

Thank you so much for taking the time to tell us all about that experience. Wow, people pay tens of thousands of dollars to go up in fighter jets but you get to experience it on a different level.

As you are not on an official fun ride, how do you manage to keep the viewfinder to your eye and not smash the lens against the canopy or worse still, have it smash against your nose?

Thanks, for sharing!!

And your little foray into storytelling isn't too bad, but the part about climbing into the stars and moon, when it's daytime, doesn't quite make sense.

The stars and the moon are still out there, even in the day time. I think Erik was trying to add a little atmosphere to his journey of heading straight up into the sky!
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

CarlTN

• View Profile
The stars and the moon are still out there, even in the day time. I think Erik was trying to add a little atmosphere to his journey of heading straight up into the sky!

No need to pile on me, I already clarified my point, but you didn't read it.

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
Cool story :-)

The A-10 is irreplaceable until we have another aircraft that can  do what Kim Campbell's did.  It's old, slow, ugly, and completely awesome.

I like your story about the F-15.  Something I always wanted to see is an F-15E go head-to-head with a MiG-31...

gazzo

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Hallo,

Messerschmitt 109 & 262 at "Hahnweide"/Germany

canon rumors FORUM

Click

• View Profile
Great first post gazzo. Very nice images. Welcome to CR  :)

gazzo

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Thx

Tanke schön!

Up, up, and away!

Into the Blue

Call my hairstylist!

ErikNZ

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
It is a shame they couldn't find one for you to photograph that hadn't been pounded on with a hammer!  :o

Believe it or not but those dents weren't made with a hammer - but the refuelling probe of a KC-135R or KC-10A tanker! By putting the refuelling nozzle so close to the nose of the aircraft, it frequently will "bump" into the nose or get dragged along the nose.

It actually did bring out its kid sister but she wasn't looking any better either :)

Haha, well you can't see the stars during the day...maybe you can at high altitude.  I was just saying it was confusing because it was making me think your flight initiated in pre-dawn hours, but it didn't...did it?

It was the best I could think of! :) I think we didn't get airborne until 17:30 with all the delays and all. There were definitely no stars visible in the sky, in fact all I could see was grey goo! It doesn't help when your front seater tells you...."Geesh look at that crap out there. Will you believe it that we have clear visibility here for about 362 days a year?".

As you are not on an official fun ride, how do you manage to keep the viewfinder to your eye and not smash the lens against the canopy or worse still, have it smash against your nose?

That's always an interesting one - you sort of don't. That is, you can't put the viewfinder to your eye as you would normally do, because the helmet visor and oxygen mask are in the way. So you actually look through the view finder at a greater distance than you might be used to, which is a great way of getting really sick in that back seat. I know a few photographers that normally have no problems flying or performing aerobatics but will usually lose their lunch once or twice throughout a photo flight for that very same reason.

In terms of not hitting the canopy, well you can fit a rubber hood to the lens. Some I know use a cut-out mouse pad that fits around the opening the lens. I have used the rubber hood at times and other times I have just made sure not to hit the canopy. Especially in the F-16, the canopy is quite spacious and there is plenty of "room" around you to work in. 
F-4E | F-16D | B-52H | HC-130P | HH-60G | UH-1H | TH-1H | UH-72A | HH-3F | NH-500C | S208M | Mi-24V | A109 | SA316 | PC-7 | AS365 | SH-3D | AS532

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile

No need to pile on me, I already clarified my point, but you didn't read it.

Not "piling" it on you. I think it is pretty obvious that I did not see your post, otherwise I would not have written what I did.

I did not see it as I opened the page and then left it to read later. When I had time I read it, logged in and posted.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
Messerschmitt 109 & 262 at "Hahnweide"/Germany

Awesome awesome awesome!

There can't be too many airworthy ME262s left.  The Smithsonian has one in the Udvar-Hazy center at Dulles, but it's definitely not going anywhere any time soon...

gazzo

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Hallo,

some more

canon rumors FORUM

DARSON

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Few of mine from Al Ain Air Show 2013
 All Taken with 5D Mk 3 + 70-200 f2.8 IS II USM+ 1.4 Tele III
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 12:52:31 PM by DARSON »