October 26, 2014, 02:17:36 AM

Author Topic: New EOS-1 Camera Information [CR1]  (Read 6383 times)

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
Re: New EOS-1 Camera Information [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 02:11:10 PM »
The 1DX is a GREAT camera. I drooled over it via the youtube video and a Canon rep demo'ing it. I too bought into 'the unification of the 1-series'. It sort of makes sense.

But as a fashion and portrait photographer, I'm more interested in dynamic range vs. speed. And at the end of the day and looking at images, it doesn't offer any improvement over my 5DMKII. I think the 1DX is a big jump for sports/action photographers. But fashion and portrait? Nada.
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2013, 02:11:10 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 05:57:01 PM »
This new EOS-1 camera will be not be “dual pixel”, that and other new features will be saved for the successor to the EOS-1D X.

Ha!

And so Canon continues to play games with which versions of its cameras get which features in order to ensure that you'll want to buy the "next" camera that comes out with "more features".

FFS Canon....

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 11:10:59 PM »
I'm with you.  Wouldn't mind a few more mpx's, but not interested in ton's more.  Would like more DR (please no flame wars), but keep high fps, and excellent high ISO performance. Interested to see what the "new features" will bring, and how the Dual pixels will fit in.

scott

Like to have a 1D"x" with an APS-C sensor.  Granted I will lose 1-2 stops of noise/DR, but w/ 200-400 (320-640) that would be great wildlife / safari lens.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2013, 03:59:53 AM »
Maybe I want to much, but we should stop thinking we need to give up one thing for the other.

I would like to see more DR, less higher ISO noise, more MP and a fast frame rate.
Plus I want it to have a silent mode so it doesn't scare off my wildlife.

Its always a trade off,    Designers design to a certain price point and each new feature is priced.  More bandwidth = faster processor = more power usage = larger battery = new battery charger = more heat dissipation and cooling issues ... the list goes on.

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2013, 03:05:36 AM »
Why is it that I'm getting this feeling Canon went out of its way to integrate the Eos 1D and 1Ds series into the 1 DX, and now everything is going back to the D and Ds format again?
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

dgatwood

• 1D Mark IV
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2013, 09:34:53 AM »

<p>This new EOS-1 camera will be not be “dual pixel”, that and other new features will be saved for the successor to the EOS-1D X.</p>

Then I'll wait for the dual-pixel version.  High resolution should not preclude usable focusing in live-view mode.  It's worth waiting for one that can do both.  I'm fed up with buying camera bodies that include half the features I want, forcing me to choose between two substandard choices.  I expect the top model of any product to be full-featured, containing everything that's available in any of the lower models.  Any departure from that is a serious design failure.

As the Dalai Lama said to the New York hot dog vendor, make me one with everything.

Until then, I'll stick with my 6D, and swear at the autofocus while giggling with glee at the GPS and the ease of tossing photos onto Facebook.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 04:09:12 AM »
I am sure we can expect a very potent sensor in this camera. I believe Canon has been working on this for a long time, but been waiting to release it. I would be very surprised if they came out with just a tiny step on the evolution ladder from a 1DsIII or the 1DX.
I am really looking forward to a really high resolution, high DR body, to complement the 1DX, which I am sure will be my preferred action and low light body also after this new one comes along.

History points us to other direction I think. It has mostly been 'small increments'

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2014, 04:09:12 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2014, 04:11:06 AM »
The 1DX is a GREAT camera. I drooled over it via the youtube video and a Canon rep demo'ing it. I too bought into 'the unification of the 1-series'. It sort of makes sense.

But as a fashion and portrait photographer, I'm more interested in dynamic range vs. speed. And at the end of the day and looking at images, it doesn't offer any improvement over my 5DMKII. I think the 1DX is a big jump for sports/action photographers. But fashion and portrait? Nada.

There are lots like you...

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2014, 06:30:11 AM »
I am sure we can expect a very potent sensor in this camera. I believe Canon has been working on this for a long time, but been waiting to release it. I would be very surprised if they came out with just a tiny step on the evolution ladder from a 1DsIII or the 1DX.
I am really looking forward to a really high resolution, high DR body, to complement the 1DX, which I am sure will be my preferred action and low light body also after this new one comes along.

History points us to other direction I think. It has mostly been 'small increments'
I Think you are right, but I Hope I'm right ;)
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Zeiss 35/1.4, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, Zeiss Otus 85/1.4, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 06:55:44 AM »
I expect the top model of any product to be full-featured, containing everything that's available in any of the lower models.  Any departure from that is a serious design failure.

As the Dalai Lama said to the New York hot dog vendor, make me one with everything.

I guess you'll never buy one, then.  The 1-series bodies don't include a green square/full auto mode, nor do they have an IR receiver for the RC-# remotes.  The lowliest xxxxD has both of those features.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

wsmith96

• Canon 7D MK II
  • Gig 'em
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 07:47:43 AM »
I don't get this. Is this post saying that they are continuing to split the 1D product line?  I thought the 1DX was created to be the camera that could do it all, so wouldn't it make sense to just upgrade the 1DX?
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

StudentOfLight

• Canon 70D
  • I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2014, 06:05:58 AM »
I don't get this. Is this post saying that they are continuing to split the 1D product line?  I thought the 1DX was created to be the camera that could do it all, so wouldn't it make sense to just upgrade the 1DX?

In my opinion, the 1Dx was a response to Nikon's professional line of bodies. Up until then Nikon's professional, high-fps cameras were full frame, whereas Canon's offerings were APS-H. Canon's storyline was that they were unifying the 1-series bodies but high-res is desirable for different applications. So the 1Dx is not a true replacement for the 1Ds-III. A true 1Ds-III replacement would have been a Full-frame 6fps, 28-32Mpx body. The 5D-III meets these specs (except for the much talked about Mpx count) and it's obviously also not in a 1-series chassis. 

Anyway, my 1Ds-III keeps chugging along and will continue working until its true successor is released... Hopefully that'll be some day soon.
Fantasy Gear:
TS-E: 45mm f/2.8 L-II,  EF: 40mm f/0.8,  100mm f/1.4,  35-85mm f/1.8, 
EF with 1.4xInt: 100-300mm f/4 ,  500mm f/5.6 L

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 10:06:31 PM »
Why is it that I'm getting this feeling Canon went out of its way to integrate the Eos 1D and 1Ds series into the 1 DX, and now everything is going back to the D and Ds format again?

I shoot long glass.  I often put on a 1.4 on my 600 and occasionally 2x.  If I could get a 1D-series body with an APS-H sensor that would reduce the angle of view so that my 600 would appear close to 800 on a full frame camera.   I could skip the 1.4.  If I could get a 1D-series body with an APS-C sensor that would ... close to 1000mm.  WOW.  My 200-400 with the 1.4 would be 320-640.  Add 1.4 and the long end becomes 900 (or so).

I like the 1D-series body, but want either (1) small sensor or (2) high enough resolution I could crop to 1.3 or 1.6 and still get a great (like I can now) 24x36 print.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 10:06:31 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2014, 10:08:36 PM »
I expect the top model of any product to be full-featured, containing everything that's available in any of the lower models.  Any departure from that is a serious design failure.

I guess you'll never buy one, then.  The 1-series bodies don't include a green square/full auto mode, nor do they have an IR receiver for the RC-# remotes.  The lowliest xxxxD has both of those features.

You forget automatic HDR-mode from the 5D M3 to mention but one additional feature that the 1Dx does not include.

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2014, 10:12:42 PM »

Marketing 101.  Maximize profits by segmenting the market.

High FPS market
High DR / high MP market
Perhaps even small sensor or high mm (long lens) market

If you have 1 product that it all, it will be a compromise or it will be very expensive.

Think of cars: Porsche 911 vs Ford F150.  Very different vehicles which go after different segments of the market

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2014, 10:12:42 PM »