August 29, 2014, 04:35:33 PM

Author Topic: Headed to Hawaii -- let's talk gear / locations  (Read 4038 times)

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Headed to Hawaii -- let's talk gear / locations
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »
For hiking trails the best resource is http://hawaiitrails.ehawaii.gov/island.php?island=Oahu.  If you do not mind a little exercise you will see a whole new side to Oahu if you get off the roads and into the jungles!  Any trail that takes you up to a ridge should give you some great shots. 

The north shore is raging this time of year so lots of surf shots on that side.  There can also be some pretty intense rain storms on the windward (east) side.  In both cases do not turn your back on the water; waves can grab you quick and flash floods come, well, in a flash.  Other places I like are Kaena Point (Oahu's west end) and the Makapuu/Sandy Beach area (the eastern end and a lot easier to get to).

People bad mouth Oahu but with a bit of effort you can find some amazing spots!  One additional word of caution - property crime is bad all over Hawaii.  Do not leave anything valuable in your car even if you just jump out for even 5 minutes to shoot something.  After dark it's best to get out of my favorites above . . .

Great feedback -- I appreciate the hiking maps site.  It's solid.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »
And a couple from Honolulu/Waikiki...

By the way, if I recall correctly, winter time is Big Waves time so you may have ome nice oppotunities of North shore, where there are some surf competitions I think. However, I don't know if this may make snorkelling harder...

Great shots, thanks!  The lookout, in particular, was already on my list -- I can see why!

- A

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2014, 12:29:33 PM »
Personally, I use my 17-40L a lot for landscape, especially waterscapes, usually near the wider end.  It gives a dynamic look that's different than just stitching multiple shots together, but of course that look isn't for everyone.

[ahsanford:  truncated the copious great stuff you mentioned]

I'd also be careful about what people can see you doing in a parking lot, like putting valuables in the trunk where others may be watching.

Absolutely great.  Thanks for another super post -- I need to aggregate this into a master list.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2014, 12:29:33 PM »