August 30, 2016, 03:16:00 PM

Author Topic: Headed to Hawaii -- let's talk gear / locations  (Read 16612 times)

ahsanford

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • USM > STM
Re: Headed to Hawaii -- let's talk gear / locations
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »
For hiking trails the best resource is http://hawaiitrails.ehawaii.gov/island.php?island=Oahu.  If you do not mind a little exercise you will see a whole new side to Oahu if you get off the roads and into the jungles!  Any trail that takes you up to a ridge should give you some great shots. 

The north shore is raging this time of year so lots of surf shots on that side.  There can also be some pretty intense rain storms on the windward (east) side.  In both cases do not turn your back on the water; waves can grab you quick and flash floods come, well, in a flash.  Other places I like are Kaena Point (Oahu's west end) and the Makapuu/Sandy Beach area (the eastern end and a lot easier to get to).

People bad mouth Oahu but with a bit of effort you can find some amazing spots!  One additional word of caution - property crime is bad all over Hawaii.  Do not leave anything valuable in your car even if you just jump out for even 5 minutes to shoot something.  After dark it's best to get out of my favorites above . . .

Great feedback -- I appreciate the hiking maps site.  It's solid.

- A

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2014, 12:15:40 PM »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »
And a couple from Honolulu/Waikiki...

By the way, if I recall correctly, winter time is Big Waves time so you may have ome nice oppotunities of North shore, where there are some surf competitions I think. However, I don't know if this may make snorkelling harder...

Great shots, thanks!  The lookout, in particular, was already on my list -- I can see why!

- A

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2014, 12:29:33 PM »
Personally, I use my 17-40L a lot for landscape, especially waterscapes, usually near the wider end.  It gives a dynamic look that's different than just stitching multiple shots together, but of course that look isn't for everyone.

[ahsanford:  truncated the copious great stuff you mentioned]

I'd also be careful about what people can see you doing in a parking lot, like putting valuables in the trunk where others may be watching.

Absolutely great.  Thanks for another super post -- I need to aggregate this into a master list.

- A

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2014, 01:37:07 PM »

All -- I thought I'd resuscitate this thread as I just got a question on how the trip went.

In short, it was a blast.

Pics attached.  Oahu is gorgeous.  Thanks for all the help in nailing down what to bring and where to go!

- A

offfocus

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2014, 02:11:01 PM »
Great shots!

All -- I thought I'd resuscitate this thread as I just got a question on how the trip went.

Pics attached.  Oahu is gorgeous.  Thanks for all the help in nailing down what to bring and where to go!

- A

bholliman

• 5DSR
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2016, 11:03:57 PM »
I just re-read this thread for photo ideas and decided to post something to see if anybody has anything new to add.

My wife and I are taking our two sons, ages 4 and 17 in June for 3 weeks.  We will be splitting time between Oahu, Kauai and the Big Island.  This is a family vacation.  My wife and boys are pretty tolerant of my photography, but I work hard to not let it get in the way of having fun.  My normal vacation routine is for me to get up super early, while they are still sleeping, do most of my landscape photography and then not do anything to keep them waiting during the day and evening.

I'm planning to take the following equipment:

• 5DsR
  • 16-35 f/4 IS
  • 24-70 f/4 IS (taking this over my f/2.8 II since its smaller and lighter and has IS and semi-macro, have the 35 f/2 IS for low light)
  • 70-700 f/2.8 IS II
  • 35 f/2 IS
  • 1.4x and 2.0 x extenders
  • Lightweight travel tripod and with ball head
This will cover a broad focal length range with the 35 f/2 thrown in for low-light. 

I currently plan to leave the following at home:
  • 24-70 f/2.8 II
  • 50mm f/1.8 STM
  • 100 f/2.8L Macro
  • 300 f/2.8 II
  • 6D
  • 600EX-RT (x3) and 430EX-RT speedlights

I hate leaving the 300 at home, since I love it, but its a heavy monster and since its not whale watching or big wave surf season, I'm not sure I would use it much.  I'm sure there will be some interesting birds to take pictures, but I can get buy with my 70-200 and extenders.  I'm torn about leaving all the speedlights at home, the little 430EX could provide some fill flash if needed and not take up too much space.

Also looking for suggestions about things to see/do and photo locations.  We have a some relatives who we will be visiting on Oahu, and I expect they know most of the good Oahu sites, but suggestions for Hawaii and Kauai would be appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 11:07:20 PM by bholliman »
Bodies:  5DSr, 6D, EOS-M
Lenses: 35mm f/2.0 IS, 50mm STM, 100mm f/2.8L, 300mm f/2.8L II IS, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8LIS II 600EX-RT (x3)

bholliman

• 5DSR
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2016, 11:05:09 PM »

- A

Excellent pics Ah, where were the first two taken? 
Lenses: 35mm f/2.0 IS, 50mm STM, 100mm f/2.8L, 300mm f/2.8L II IS, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8LIS II 600EX-RT (x3)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2016, 11:05:09 PM »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2016, 11:22:45 PM »

- A

Excellent pics Ah, where were the first two taken?

Too kind!  Those two were on Sandy Beach, I believe, the SE corner of Oahu, somewhere between Hanauma Bay and the Makapu'u Lookout.   It's on Google Maps.

- A

CanonFanBoy

• 5DSR
  • If I can't be nice don't post anything at all.
    • flickr
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2016, 05:48:55 AM »

- A

I am from Oahu. Born there. Graduated from Kailua High School in 1981. I've not been back since 1982. I was a member of the Hawaii Army national Guard before moving to Tennessee and finishing up there. I know your post is nearly two years old, but your photos are more beautiful than the island itself. You've done a very fine job. :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 05:54:47 AM by CanonFanBoy »
Canon 5D Mark III, Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Canon 135mm f/2L, Canon 2X III, Canon 600EX-RT (x7), Canon ST-E3-RT, Flashpoint Streaklight 360ws. Mirror-less Voigtlander VITO CL with a LANTHAR 50mm f/2.8 PRONTO-LK lens.

CanonFanBoy

• 5DSR
    • flickr
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2016, 05:52:14 AM »
I just re-read this thread for photo ideas and decided to post something to see if anybody has anything new to add.

My wife and I are taking our two sons, ages 4 and 17 in June for 3 weeks.  We will be splitting time between Oahu, Kauai and the Big Island.  This is a family vacation.  My wife and boys are pretty tolerant of my photography, but I work hard to not let it get in the way of having fun.  My normal vacation routine is for me to get up super early, while they are still sleeping, do most of my landscape photography and then not do anything to keep them waiting during the day and evening.

• 5DsR
  • 16-35 f/4 IS
  • 24-70 f/4 IS (taking this over my f/2.8 II since its smaller and lighter and has IS and semi-macro, have the 35 f/2 IS for low light)
  • 70-700 f/2.8 IS II
  • 35 f/2 IS
This will cover a broad focal length range with the 35 f/2 thrown in for low-light. 

• 24-70 f/2.8 II
  • 50mm f/1.8 STM
  • 100 f/2.8L Macro
  • 300 f/2.8 II
  • 6D

I hate leaving the 300 at home, since I love it, but its a heavy monster and since its not whale watching or big wave surf season, I'm not sure I would use it much.  I'm sure there will be some interesting birds to take pictures, but I can get buy with my 70-200 and extenders.  I'm torn about leaving all the speedlights at home, the little 430EX could provide some fill flash if needed and not take up too much space.

Also looking for suggestions about things to see/do and photo locations.  We have a some relatives who we will be visiting on Oahu, and I expect they know most of the good Oahu sites, but suggestions for Hawaii and Kauai would be appreciated.

Thanks

Waimea Falls. When I was there we could still jump off and there was a lifeguard. They don't allow that anymore, but they do a diving show from what I understand. Beautiful park. Dumb old me I never went to another island and back then a ticket was only $50 between islands (round trip on sale).

I'd drop the two extenders and the 35 f/2 and 24-70 f/4 and the 5DSr and the tripod. I'd take the 6D, and the 24-70 f/2.8L II instead. I'd take one flash brah.

Do not leave your gear in the rental car. Never. Not ever. Never ever. Travel as light as possible and have fun! Wish I could be you on that vacation!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 06:11:35 AM by CanonFanBoy »
Canon 5D Mark III, Tamron SP 15-30mm f/2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Canon 135mm f/2L, Canon 2X III, Canon 600EX-RT (x7), Canon ST-E3-RT, Flashpoint Streaklight 360ws. Mirror-less Voigtlander VITO CL with a LANTHAR 50mm f/2.8 PRONTO-LK lens.

bholliman

• 5DSR
« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2016, 03:27:49 PM »

• 5DsR
  • 16-35 f/4 IS
  • 70-700 f/2.8 IS II
  • 35 f/2 IS

• 24-70 f/2.8 II
  • 50mm f/1.8 STM
  • 100 f/2.8L Macro
  • 300 f/2.8 II
  • 6D

Thanks

Waimea Falls. When I was there we could still jump off and there was a lifeguard. They don't allow that anymore, but they do a diving show from what I understand. Beautiful park. Dumb old me I never went to another island and back then a ticket was only $50 between islands (round trip on sale).

I'd drop the two extenders and the 35 f/2 and 24-70 f/4 and the 5DSr and the tripod. I'd take the 6D, and the 24-70 f/2.8L II instead. I'd take one flash brah.

Do not leave your gear in the rental car. Never. Not ever. Never ever. Travel as light as possible and have fun! Wish I could be you on that vacation!

Thanks for the suggestions and input!  I probably am planning to take too much gear.  My 5DsR and 16-35 f/4 IS are the only definate items.  I'm a landscape guy and the 16-35 is supurb.  It will also work nicely for the battleship tours and indoor stuff. 

The 6D has a size advantage over the 5DsR and takes teriffic landscapes, but I would miss the 5D's excellent AF for kids running around. 

I was thinking about locking equipment in the trunk of the rental car at times, is that a bad idea also?

CanonFanBoy

• 5DSR
    • flickr
« Reply #56 on: April 22, 2016, 04:08:12 PM »

• 5DsR
  • 16-35 f/4 IS
  • 70-700 f/2.8 IS II
  • 35 f/2 IS

• 24-70 f/2.8 II
  • 50mm f/1.8 STM
  • 100 f/2.8L Macro
  • 300 f/2.8 II
  • 6D

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions and input!  I probably am planning to take too much gear.  My 5DsR and 16-35 f/4 IS are the only definate items.  I'm a landscape guy and the 16-35 is supurb.  It will also work nicely for the battleship tours and indoor stuff. 

The 6D has a size advantage over the 5DsR and takes teriffic landscapes, but I would miss the 5D's excellent AF for kids running around. 

I was thinking about locking equipment in the trunk of the rental car at times, is that a bad idea also?

If you lock your gear in the trunk do it at a location other than the one where you plan to park. Property crime is a real problem and there are people who predate tourists. Hawaii is beautiful. It is. However, there are very many people in desperate straights (drugs, no jobs, extremely high cost of living, etc.). My old high school buddies (One in Hilo on the big island and another in Waimanalo on Oahu) say things are really bad. Things are so expensive and good paying jobs so few that many of us who grew up there had to leave. There is grinding poverty. Don't assume you are welcome everywhere. You are not. Haole is a pejorative once venturing outside the tourist areas. :)
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haole

scottkinfw

• 5DSR
  • Wildlife photography is my passion
    • www.kasden.smug.com
« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2016, 06:17:57 PM »
I didn't read the whole thread.

If you are interested in a small adventure...

Look up the mule man in KALAUPAPA  (http://www.molokai.com/muleride/).

I went several years ago and highly recommend it.  The mules are great.  The mule ride is a pleasant ~ 90 awesome ride.  Start off through nice wooded trail.  You may see some sheep on the side of the mountain.  The trees part and the pacific with a chain of islands explodes in front of you.  Beautiful.  Then you wind down a steep path and have multiple photo ops of seascapes etc.  When you get to the bottom, you will be put on a bus and taken to the center of the old leprosy town (you won't catch it).  If you are lucky, a surviving colony member may join you.

Anyway you will have time to photograph ruins and open working buildings.  Great photo ops here too.

Also look into volcanoes, lava flows.

There is a great windy road to take on Maui but plan for abut 3 to 4 hours and rent a car.  I'm not sure if you want sun up or sun down or if it matters.

sek
Cameras: 1DXII,5D III, 5D II.  Lenses    24-70 2.8L II IS, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8.   Flashes: 600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT, 580 EX II.
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 22, 2016, 06:17:57 PM »

scottkinfw

• 5DSR
  • Wildlife photography is my passion
    • www.kasden.smug.com
« Reply #58 on: April 22, 2016, 06:21:25 PM »

That reminds me!  What underwater camera would you recommend?  I will not buy a new one as I never shoot underwater but Hanauma Bay snorkeling is on the list and might make for some memorable snaps.  So this is a one-day shooting opportunity only.

I was likely going to get some disposable film underwater camera, as I won't rent that Nikon AW rig or risk my 5D3 on some rubber housing.  And I'm not interested in a $100-200 P&S.  I need a one-time solution that takes decent pics underwater.

Go Pro with  filters ?
Any recommendations?

- A

If you want your photo looks like photos below, then get disposable film underwater camera :-\

Maybe rent a decent UW camera - with insurance just in case.
Cameras: 1DXII,5D III, 5D II.  Lenses    24-70 2.8L II IS, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8.   Flashes: 600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT, 580 EX II.
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

Pookie

• Canon 7D MK II
  • “Know thy tools so they get out of thy way”
    • www.davidkm.com
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2016, 07:11:05 PM »
Nice images here... love Kaneohe on Oahu and Makapuu is awesome but we ended up buying a place in Maui up country. Love the snorkeling/diving there, especially Honolua Bay... the best IMO. Both of my sons have Hawaiian names, that how much we dig the islands. Maui no ka oi !!!

BTW, isn't there another Maui guy here on the forum?

Question for the members here... going to dedicate a 5D3 to UW work. Any housing recommended?

Honu at Kahekili...
While you're sitting at your desk asking "another how much is enough" thread, processing other's images, flaming which lens is better, confused over what bag to buy, whining about how Canon is screwing you by not giving you a 50mm or 135mm with IS.................................... I'm out shooting

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2016, 07:11:05 PM »