September 01, 2014, 09:52:00 AM

Author Topic: HDR Video  (Read 3938 times)

that1guy

HDR Video
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:12:32 PM »
Just curious if anyone else had seen this yet.  Someone aparently figured out how to do HDR video w/ two 5D MKIIs using a beam splitter.  Looks pretty cool.  Not sure if I like the effect on the person, but it does look (from an example earlier in the video) like they are able to adjust the effect a bit.  I'm not a huge video guy, but still thought this was pretty cool.  Check it out: http://nofilmschool.com/2010/09/heads-explode-upon-viewing-beautiful-hdr-footage-from-5d-mark-iis/

canon rumors FORUM

HDR Video
« on: September 13, 2010, 06:12:32 PM »

Edwin Herdman

Re: HDR Video
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 03:37:42 AM »
Great stuff.  Commented, but again:  I think that the scene at 0:29 (blended differently) is how this is most likely to be used, if it is used extensively (otherwise I could see the normal neon-style HDR being used for effects shots...just like any other cliche wide-angle, or dolly zoom, tracking shot, whatever).  I don't think standard dynamic range video is in any great trouble.  This may be great for wildlife stuff, particularly in forests, however.

Jan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:07:07 AM »
The first scene looks like a computer game... I didn't like the HDR mania in stills and I still don't like it, when it comes to HDR video...

that1guy

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 11:37:12 AM »
Yeah, I would tend to agree w/ you Jan. I actually thought it looked like a video game too (and for the right movie, that look could work).  In this instance, I just really thought the tech and problem solving they did to do this was really cool.  I did like the effect better when they toned it down and it wasn't as obvious, but of course that is how I liked the effect in still photography too.  If you can't see the technique and I can focus on the image/video, then that is when I like it the best.

My guess is that it will be over used on a bunch of films for a while, and then it will be scaled back, just like other "looks" or special effects in Hollywood.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 12:21:08 PM »
My guess is that it will be over used on a bunch of films for a while, and then it will be scaled back, just like other "looks" or special effects in Hollywood.

Yep.  Look for it in a House episode near the end of Season 7, in 2-3 forthcoming indie films, and then you won't actually see it again, even if it's still being used.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 03:51:42 PM »
not buying it when they claim it creates a "more realistic" effect ... that looks nothing like how I see the world.  maybe if they exposure fusion-ed it instead of HDR'ing it would look better.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 03:51:42 PM »