September 17, 2014, 04:08:11 PM

Author Topic: Sigma Announces the 50 f/1.4 Art Lens & More  (Read 29152 times)

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
Re: Sigma Announces the 50 f/1.4 Art Lens & More
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 08:06:13 PM »
Yes! Love my 2 ART lenses, now they just need to make that UWA zoom
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2014, 08:06:13 PM »

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 08:07:25 PM »
"The new Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art has been reengineered and redesigned to set a new standard of performance in the Art line"

Will this out performs my f1.2 L  ::) ::) ::)

For sharpness?  Hell, the current 50 F/1.4 is sharper after F/2 or so.   Set a higher bar, will ya?  :P 

Again, for sharpness, I think the new 50 from Sigma will dust the 50 1.2L based on the performance of the Sigma 35mm Art:

Consider Roger's take, which is a clear read:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/11/sigma-35mm-f1-4-arrives-announces-new-world-order
(Besides his nice article, note: "This lens kicks butt, takes names, and basically posterizes the manufacturers who make the cameras this lens will fit on.")

Then consider PhotoZone's take on both 35s and the 50 1.2L (poor away from center), which is attached.  Those are stellar F/1.4 and F/2 numbers away from center for the Sigma, by the way -- large aperture glass almost never shows such a good performance.

So I expect for sharpness the new Sigma to really take it to the 50 F/1.2L, but as everyone on this forum will say, there's more to it than that -- bokeh, distortion, chromatic effects, focus speed/accuracy/consistency, etc. may say that the Sigma is lacking in some department.  We'll see.

Hell, off the cuff, size may be a tipping point for some -- this lens had better cut diamonds it's so sharp if it's going to take up 3-4x the volume in my bag as my trusty old Canon 50/1.4, and I don't expect the new Canon 50 F/?.? IS to be much bigger than its physical 'twin', the 35mm f/2 IS.

- A
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:13:12 PM by ahsanford »

fox40phil

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 08:10:44 PM »
Really nice...!! If the quality is mutch better then the old 50 1.4.. I'll change it!

But... why Sigma hasn't weather sealed lenses?!  :-X  :-\

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2014, 08:28:23 PM »
"The new Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM Art has been reengineered and redesigned to set a new standard of performance in the Art line"

Will this out performs my f1.2 L  ::) ::) ::)

For sharpness?  Hell, the current 50 F/1.4 is sharper after F/2 or so.   Set a higher bar, will ya?  :P 

Again, for sharpness, I think the new 50 from Sigma will dust the 50 1.2L based on the performance of the Sigma 35mm Art:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/11/sigma-35mm-f1-4-arrives-announces-new-world-order
(Besides his nice article, note: "This lens kicks butt, takes names, and basically posterizes the manufacturers who make the cameras this lens will fit on.")

Then consider PhotoZone's take on both 35s and the 50 1.2L (poor away from center), which is attached.  Those are stellar F/1.4 and F/2 numbers away from center for the Sigma, by the way -- large aperture glass almost never shows such a good performance.

So I expect for sharpness the new Sigma to really take it to the 50 F/1.2L, but as everyone on this forum will say, there's more to it than that -- bokeh, distortion, chromatic effects, focus speed/accuracy/consistency, etc. may say that the Sigma is lacking in some department.  We'll see.

Hell, off the cuff, size may be a tipping point for some -- this lens had better cut diamonds it's so sharp if it's going to take up 3-4x the volume in my bag as my trusty old Canon 50/1.4, and I don't expect the new Canon 50 F/?.? IS to be much bigger than its physical 'twin', the 35mm f/2 IS.

- A

I can't compare this Sigma Vs my 50L yet. However, my 50L is quite awesome when shoot wide open or at f1.4. As an owner of 50mm f1.4 for 2-3yrs, I do know the history of this lens. The color and contrast from f1.4 are flat. I'm not good reading reviews or showing 3rd party testing data. I like to see my own photos ;)

There is no fun buying f1.4 prime, but can't get good results at near f1.4.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:31:22 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

EverydayGetaway

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2014, 08:38:29 PM »
Personally, I'll wait until Canon answers later this year and compare the two.  My hypothesis is that the Canon will be slightly less sharp (based on the 35 Art vs. the Canon 35 F/2 IS) and possibly a half stop slower, but will it be much smaller and lighter, and that's of value to me.

This.  The massive size of the current Sigma 50mm is the only reason I didn't buy one.  My tiny little Yashica ML 50/1.4 gives me 80% of the IQ for a fourth the cost and it takes 52mm filters :cool:  I'm also hoping Samyang will bring us the 50mm 1.2 that they said was on their roadmap, and I hope it's not massive, but it probably will be.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2014, 08:38:41 PM »

I can't compare this Sigma Vs my 50L yet. However, my 50L is quite awesome when shoot wide open or at f1.4. As an owner of 50mm f1.4 for 2-3yrs, I do know the history of this lens. The color and contrast from f1.4 are flat. I'm not good reading reviews or showing 3rd party testing data. I like to see my own photos ;)

There is no fun buying f1.4 prime, but can't get good results at near f1.4.

Sure.  Lab data isn't a perfect tool.  And certainly the current 50 F/1.2L is great for portraiture as the center sharpness (and, of course, that color and bokeh) is terrific.

But I use wider apertures less for portraiture and more for low-light handheld use where I'm capturing a scene and not necessarily a subject.  So IS and corner sharpness is more important for me than how the center might pop. 

So it's entirely possible that Sigma's new 50 might be sharper than everything, but you may still prefer the 50 F/1.2L and I'll keep waiting for that non-L 50mm IS refresh that we all know is coming.

But more options means more competitive pricing and more photographers finding the tool they need.  I'll take it.

- A

zlatko

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 08:44:19 PM »
Canon will be furious as they clearly have a 50 F/(fast: 1.4 to 2) IS lens on the way.  Until that comes out, Sigma will gobble up the 'sort-of-premium 50mm' sales between the 50L and the Canon 50/1.4.

Canon won't be furious because Canon is a corporation.  Another corporation's new lens is not something they need to "answer".   It's just business.  They'll make a new 50mm that meets their own design and business criteria, as well as their own timeline for product development.  It will be competitive in its own way, and each will find buyers.  Whatever it is, I do hope they offer an improved 50mm.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 08:44:19 PM »

skybraun

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 08:46:44 PM »
I literally just bought a Sigma 85mm 1.4 and a Canon 50mm 1.4. I really wish I had waited now because the AF will most likely be improved on this redesign. Wouldn't you guys think?

zlatko

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 08:47:59 PM »

The 50L sure does draw nice.  One good thing about this new Sigma is that it is about 4 ounces lighter than the 50L.  If it draws as nicely and autofocuses well, it may be a good substitute for the 50L and the 50/1.4 USM.

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 08:56:31 PM »
Canon will be furious as they clearly have a 50 F/(fast: 1.4 to 2) IS lens on the way.  Until that comes out, Sigma will gobble up the 'sort-of-premium 50mm' sales between the 50L and the Canon 50/1.4.

Canon won't be furious because Canon is a corporation.  Another corporation's new lens is not something they need to "answer".   It's just business.  They'll make a new 50mm that meets their own design and business criteria, as well as their own timeline for product development.  It will be competitive in its own way, and each will find buyers.  Whatever it is, I do hope they offer an improved 50mm.

Don't mistake me -- these aren't high school rivals acting petulantly.  This is about profit.

The Canon corporation won't be furious, but the Canon lens marketing guys just saw either their future margins or their future unit share take a hit with this announcement.

Consider:  There's a huge price-offering gap in their portfolio between the $350 50 F/1.4 and the $1,500+ 50 F/1.2L, and Sigma swooped into that space before Canon could.  In other lengths with these IS refreshes, Canon entered with a high price and scooped up some cash from early adopters before dropping the price to market value.  I don't know if they can do that now with this Sigma now in play, which based on the 35mm Art offering, is an L quality lens (at least from a sharpness perspective) at a mid-level price. 

Canon may be forced to come in at, say $599 with their non-L IS refresh instead of making money from brand-loyal guys waiting for a better 50 prime.

And I would not complain about that.   :)

- A

Canon 14-24

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 09:50:36 PM »
Where's the Canon dslr/lens announcements? So much for for Canon having 2014 as their "year of the lenses". Other brands already getting a jump start on this. I guess another year with just point and shoot and video (exception standard new rebel and kit len versions) announcements.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 09:52:25 PM by Canon 14-24 »

zlatko

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2014, 10:05:20 PM »
Those test charts and Roger's comments make the lens look like an absolute marvel, but then I read the comments below Roger's article and the number of people reporting autofocus problems gives me pause.  When they talk about their "hit rate" with the autofocus, it diminishes the appeal (for me) of the utrasharp 35mm Sigma.  That said, I haven't tried it myself.

The Canon corporation won't be furious, but the Canon lens marketing guys just saw either their future margins or their future unit share take a hit with this announcement.

Consider:  There's a huge price-offering gap in their portfolio between the $350 50 F/1.4 and the $1,500+ 50 F/1.2L, and Sigma swooped into that space before Canon could.  In other lengths with these IS refreshes, Canon entered with a high price and scooped up some cash from early adopters before dropping the price to market value.  I don't know if they can do that now with this Sigma now in play, which based on the 35mm Art offering, is an L quality lens (at least from a sharpness perspective) at a mid-level price. 

Canon may be forced to come in at, say $599 with their non-L IS refresh instead of making money from brand-loyal guys waiting for a better 50 prime.

I don't know anything about marketing, but I suspect they look at their business as a whole.  I don't think they worry about one lens in one year, but rather how their entire portfolio of lenses is doing.   I don't think Canon is "forced" with regard to pricing by virtue of one competitor making one lens, even a very good lens.  There are too many other factors at play.  They may prioritize design and production for 5 or 10 other lenses that have a higher priority and have a greater impact on profits.   They may leave their updated 50mm for another year.  And their updated 50mm, whenever it comes, may have more to do with other factors than what Sigma is doing.  Nikon didn't "answer" Canon's 35L for something like 15 years.  It's not that it didn't matter, but that they had other priorities during that time.

zlatko

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 10:09:38 PM »
Where's the Canon dslr/lens announcements? So much for for Canon having 2014 as their "year of the lenses". Other brands already getting a jump start on this. I guess another year with just point and shoot and video (exception standard new rebel and kit len versions) announcements.

It's January 6th and you've already given up on dslr/lens announcements for the entire year?  Companies announce at different times.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2014, 10:09:38 PM »

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2014, 10:21:08 PM »

Those test charts and Roger's comments make the lens look like an absolute marvel, but then I read the comments below Roger's article and the number of people reporting autofocus problems gives me pause.  When they talk about their "hit rate" with the autofocus, it diminishes the appeal (for me) of the utrasharp 35mm Sigma.  That said, I haven't tried it myself.

But how many of those focus "issues" are people testing their lens photographing their moving cat in candle light wide open at the minimum focus distance?
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Hjalmarg1

• EOS M2
  • Photo Hobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 11:03:04 PM »
Assuming the fabrication and image quality is at the same level as the 35mm Art, it should be very good.  Compared to what else is on offer, it simply should be better option than the current Canon's 50mm AF choices of:

•The slow/noisy 50/1.8
•The non-ring USM in the 50 F/1.4 that often hunts
•The diva of the 50 F/1.2L that needs AFMA tuning

I used and sold the f1.8 and f1.4 Canon versions, current Sigma 50mm f1.4 (not good AF) and currently have the 50 F/1.2L. This Sigma might address many of the problems we've had with Canon. If so, I will buy one ASAP.
Anyone interested in this 50mm f1.2L lens?

Body: 5DIII. Prime Lenses: 15mm f2.8, 100mm f2.8L IS, 35mm f2 IS, Extender EF 2X III.
Zoom Lenses: 16-35mm f4L IS, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II. Others: Flash 580EX II, 270EX II & MR-14EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2014, 11:03:04 PM »