December 21, 2014, 05:26:22 PM

Author Topic: a(nother) 14y/o looking for feedback  (Read 4216 times)

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
Re: a(nother) 14yo looking for feedback
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »
I think the moose shot is excellent! Love the light in the horn?.. and the lightplay in the water. The first shot looks a bit too HDRish to me, but that might be my screen. You obviously have a great talent for this, and I suspect that you already have familiarized yourself with Lee filters, although I do not see them in the gear list.

Keep up the good work!
1Dx, 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
Canon A-1, 199A, FD: 24/2.8, 35/2.0, 100/2.8, Vivitar 400/5.6 Mamiya RZ67 pro ii, 50,110,180
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »

Longexposure

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2014, 01:37:09 PM »
Thanks Quasimodo!
But no Lee filters(only 3 stops nd) and no HDR although I would like to try them out (the filters).
Cheers
Alex
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" -Dorothea Lange
Alex, 15 y/o - X100S, 70D, 15-85, 70-300L, 30 ART, 8 fish, benro tripod, 430 ex v1
500px - http://500px.com/alexvd

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: a(nother) 14y/o looking for feedback
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2014, 03:49:17 PM »
Hey Alex,

It's great your getting the positive feedback for your images.
If I can make a suggestion - if there is an image in your folio of work that you like, trying getting large prints of them.
In my opinion printing photos out at the larger sizes changes how you look at and appreciate your own work. This is something I'm revisiting myself, as I've got too many images that have remained in the digital realm. Keep up the great work!

Longexposure

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2014, 03:56:34 PM »
Thanks! I'll definitely do it.
Alex
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" -Dorothea Lange
Alex, 15 y/o - X100S, 70D, 15-85, 70-300L, 30 ART, 8 fish, benro tripod, 430 ex v1

Skatol

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Richardson Photographic
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2014, 04:06:37 PM »
Hey Alex,

If I can make a suggestion - if there is an image in your folio of work that you like, trying getting large prints of them.
In my opinion printing photos out at the larger sizes changes how you look at and appreciate your own work. This is something I'm revisiting myself, as I've got too many images that have remained in the digital realm. Keep up the great work!
Second this.  You will see things in print that you might not see on screen as well.  I've had to reprint many times due to some details I missed the first time around.
1DIV, 5DIII, 7D and too many lenses to list.
Too much time, too little gear...scratch that, reverse it.

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2014, 03:33:06 AM »
Hey Alex,

Second this.  You will see things in print that you might not see on screen as well.  I've had to reprint many times due to some details I missed the first time around.

+1 me too

I had a very nasty experience with this. On one of my first paid photojobs. I took what I thought was a clever group shot (the subjects stood on a bridge approx 100m away from me on a bridge, and me on another bridge with the 70-200L II + 2xIII TC. Well, the problem arised in postproduction. I was fairly new to Photoshop, and unbeknown to me at the time,- quite heavy-handed with the sharpening. It looked great to me on the screen. I did not know that they would expose the picture on a 3m wide and 1.5m height steel plate... The two people in the middle got somewhat of a halo around their heads. Luckily for me, only people who knows pictures and pp sees this, but a great learned lesson for me. Now I always zoom heavily in on the picture whenever making corrections.

The second reason why I agree that you should start printing, is that the choice of paper/material greatly influences the kind of expression that you want for the image. I have a Canon Pixma Pro 1, and it gives me the opportunity to experiment with different paper types (also from different brands). The difference of your moose shot on a matte type from Canson vs. a high gloss one would be considerable. Given the hardness of your light and highlight I would probably opt for a high gloss rendition, as detail are accentuated on this type of paper.

just my 2 cent :)
1Dx, 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
Canon A-1, 199A, FD: 24/2.8, 35/2.0, 100/2.8, Vivitar 400/5.6 Mamiya RZ67 pro ii, 50,110,180
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

Longexposure

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 05:58:28 PM »
Hey Alex,

+1 me too

I had a very nasty experience with this. On one of my first paid photojobs. I took what I thought was a clever group shot (the subjects stood on a bridge approx 100m away from me on a bridge, and me on another bridge with the 70-200L II + 2xIII TC. Well, the problem arised in postproduction. I was fairly new to Photoshop, and unbeknown to me at the time,- quite heavy-handed with the sharpening. It looked great to me on the screen. I did not know that they would expose the picture on a 3m wide and 1.5m height steel plate... The two people in the middle got somewhat of a halo around their heads. Luckily for me, only people who knows pictures and pp sees this, but a great learned lesson for me. Now I always zoom heavily in on the picture whenever making corrections.

The second reason why I agree that you should start printing, is that the choice of paper/material greatly influences the kind of expression that you want for the image. I have a Canon Pixma Pro 1, and it gives me the opportunity to experiment with different paper types (also from different brands). The difference of your moose shot on a matte type from Canson vs. a high gloss one would be considerable. Given the hardness of your light and highlight I would probably opt for a high gloss rendition, as detail are accentuated on this type of paper.

just my 2 cent :)

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Alex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2014, 05:58:28 PM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2014, 07:08:39 PM »
I really like 1,6,and 8.   My least favorites are 5 and 2.  All if the others are solid shots.

Welcome, and continue to post!

Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 11:17:12 PM »
Nowt wrong with them. Keep shooting and have fun with it!
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2014, 01:33:00 AM »
Great work buddy.

If these were my photos I would ease out on post work a bit as they looking overdone to me. But if that is they way your artistic expression goes, then push it more.
In particular I am referring to tints and excess chroma that you using.

Keep it up!

batotman

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2014, 02:26:43 AM »
They're pretty amazing. People can nitpick the smallest things but I'd be proud of all of them.

Raj

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 02:49:24 AM »
Hi there.....

Great work pal............ Did not know lens from film when I was 14 /almost 15........  :)
And guys.... all comments on our friend's work are completely valid...... but let's first genuinely appreciate what he has done.... am sure, if he keeps clicking away, he can ONLY improve.........
For what's it's worth... all I'll chip in to say is this.......... always try and get the best images directly out of our camera... perfecting post-process will come in due course, else there is a real danger of ending up like one of many chaps out there who only rely on post to improve at best mediocre out-of-camera images.
Check out the online portfolios of the master Henri Cartier Bresson, and as you see those images... never forget..... vast majority of those images were taken with 1 camera and a standard 50mm lens....... food for thought??????? street, people, landscape, nature... what does it matter ... a great image will always be a great image.........
Keep up the good work....
Keep clicking....
Cheers
Raj

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 05:19:42 AM »
First of all, I wish I was as good as you when I was 15 :)

I think you really have to mind composition and post processing. Your images are nice, but lack that something that makes them interesting. Also be careful to blown highlights in image one and to artifacts like in the elk. I really like your number 11, but some cropping would do to obtain a stronger composition.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2014, 05:19:42 AM »

Longexposure

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2014, 05:21:54 AM »
Thanks to everyone!!
Sanj: yes i know they're a bit too overproccessed but i was experimenting and can never decide on which version is better;)
Raj: yes I know bresson and like his work very much. He is one of my favorite photographers. And I always try to do most of it in camera (composition, exposure, etc..) but sometimes I don't have enough times to correct things (like with the first as it was a school trip and they were leaving so i had to rely on post. But I totally agree with you.
Thank you again!
Alex
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 05:25:28 AM by Longexposure »

Longexposure

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 05:23:48 AM »
First of all, I wish I was as good as you when I was 15 :)

I think you really have to mind composition and post processing. Your images are nice, but lack that something that makes them interesting. Also be careful to blown highlights in image one and to artifacts like in the elk. I really like your number 11, but some cropping would do to obtain a stronger composition.

Thanks Albi.
And yes i know i gotta be more careful. ;)
Alex

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2014, 05:23:48 AM »