December 21, 2014, 11:14:44 AM

Author Topic: Stacked TCs - 1.4x III + 12mm Extension Tube + 2x III  (Read 15685 times)

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
Re: Stacked TCs - 1.4x III + 12mm Extension Tube + 2x III
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2014, 10:33:32 AM »
A little update - and a warning! I had the 500 f/4 II with 2x III tc attached, with a Kenko 12mm extension tube behind that, and the 2x II and 1.4x III extenders behind that. I stood the camera upright, lens down (as I often do) on a bench while I fiddled with my bag. The camera fell over (which it sometimes does, and comes to no harm), but it hit the back of the bench and the lens combination just clean sheared in half! Thankfully, the strap stopped the camera falling onto the ground. Predictably, it was the extension tube that had failed - the front part had simply detached. Could have been costly! So be extra careful when mounting big lenses on teleconverters with extension tubes :(
Yikes!!!  All I can say is Yikes!!!  I'm glad it didn't turn into a disaster and thanks for the warning.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2014, 10:33:32 AM »

scyrene

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2014, 02:52:31 PM »
A little update - and a warning! I had the 500 f/4 II with 2x III tc attached, with a Kenko 12mm extension tube behind that, and the 2x II and 1.4x III extenders behind that. I stood the camera upright, lens down (as I often do) on a bench while I fiddled with my bag. The camera fell over (which it sometimes does, and comes to no harm), but it hit the back of the bench and the lens combination just clean sheared in half! Thankfully, the strap stopped the camera falling onto the ground. Predictably, it was the extension tube that had failed - the front part had simply detached. Could have been costly! So be extra careful when mounting big lenses on teleconverters with extension tubes :(
Yikes!!!  All I can say is Yikes!!!  I'm glad it didn't turn into a disaster and thanks for the warning.

Well it turns out the screws (that on the outer surfaces are in metal) are only mounted into flimsy plastic sockets. I thought it was fixable, but the sockets had disintegrated. The whole extension tube is a writeoff. I wonder if (hope that!) the Canon extension tubes are more sturdily constructed?
5D mark III, 50D, 300D, EOS-M; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, 24-105L, MP-E, 85L II, 100L macro, 500L IS II, EF-M 18-55; 1.4xIII, 2x III + 2xII extenders; 600EX-RT; EF-M--EF adaptor.
Former lenses include: 70-200L f/4 non-IS, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2014, 02:56:23 PM »

Well it turns out the screws (that on the outer surfaces are in metal) are only mounted into flimsy plastic sockets. I thought it was fixable, but the sockets had disintegrated. The whole extension tube is a writeoff. I wonder if (hope that!) the Canon extension tubes are more sturdily constructed?
The Canon tubes are constructed similarly to the Mk II Extenders, but don't have the extra screws of the Mk III extenders.  They are all metal from what I can tell, and I guess that's why they cost so much compared to the 3rd party tubes.  All the same, I'm treating your post as a cautionary tale!

ahab1372

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2014, 04:06:22 PM »

Maybe it was a good thing that the extension tube caved in - otherwise the lens or extender mounts might have been bent. The Kenko acted as what I believe is called a predetermined breaking point

scyrene

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2014, 09:24:17 AM »
The Canon tubes are constructed similarly to the Mk II Extenders, but don't have the extra screws of the Mk III extenders.  They are all metal from what I can tell, and I guess that's why they cost so much compared to the 3rd party tubes.  All the same, I'm treating your post as a cautionary tale!

That's good to know, thanks. I'll get one of those for this use next time! :)
5D mark III, 50D, 300D, EOS-M; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, 24-105L, MP-E, 85L II, 100L macro, 500L IS II, EF-M 18-55; 1.4xIII, 2x III + 2xII extenders; 600EX-RT; EF-M--EF adaptor.

scyrene

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2014, 09:26:09 AM »
Maybe it was a good thing that the extension tube caved in - otherwise the lens or extender mounts might have been bent. The Kenko acted as what I believe is called a predetermined breaking point

Oh absolutely. Just lucky nothing fell onto the ground :)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2014, 09:58:11 AM »

In general, I'm quite comfortable recommending the Kenko tubes for macro use - why pay for Canon's costly air?  But since one of my primary uses of the tubes is to shorten the MFD of my 600/4L IS II, I bought the Canon EF 12 II and EF 25 II extension tubes rather than the more economical Kenko tubes.  Scyrene's example supports that as a wise decision.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2014, 09:58:11 AM »

scyrene

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2014, 10:23:43 AM »
In general, I'm quite comfortable recommending the Kenko tubes for macro use - why pay for Canon's costly air?  But since one of my primary uses of the tubes is to shorten the MFD of my 600/4L IS II, I bought the Canon EF 12 II and EF 25 II extension tubes rather than the more economical Kenko tubes.  Scyrene's example supports that as a wise decision.

Oh sure, I'll continue using cheaper tubes for macro work, where there's much less weight put on them.

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2014, 02:50:58 PM »
I'm still trying to understand where the mounting point and weight are at.  I'd think the 500mm is on a gimbal, with a 2x directly attached, but does the mk3 not have the ability to directly stack like the mk2's?  At some point it might be better to do either a Metabones/A7r method, or a 70D to get crop in space or a crop factor.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2014, 02:55:24 PM »
I'm still trying to understand where the mounting point and weight are at.  I'd think the 500mm is on a gimbal, with a 2x directly attached, but does the mk3 not have the ability to directly stack like the mk2's?  At some point it might be better to do either a Metabones/A7r method, or a 70D to get crop in space or a crop factor.
The Mk IIIs were designed NOT to mount to each other.  This was intentional but the 12mm extension tube gets around it.

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2014, 03:35:47 PM »
I thought all the extenders would do is allow you to focus closer up, but you lose infinity focus.  Is there some other magic that happens when you put an extension tube between a 1.4x and a 2x magnifier?

The MkIII extenders cannot be physically stacked - putting the extension tube between them gets around that limitation.

WOW, WOW, WOW----THANKSSSSS, Dear Teacher, Mr. neuroanatomist.
Wow, that is a great Idea to us the Tub as the spacer between the back of the shallow lens and the 2X Extender----Wow, That make  the Usage of EF 85 MM F/ 1.2 L MK II with 2X extender-----Wow, I will try.
Thanks again, Sir.
Surapon

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2014, 03:54:07 PM »
Surapon, that's an interesting combination and several years ago I saw Art Wolfe (one of my favorite photographers) using the 1.4x II, 12mm extension tube, and 24-70 f/2.8 (I) to take macro photos of a tree frog in the jungle.  I had forgotten about that until this post, but I might have to give that a try now that I have the 12mm tube.  It won't replace a true macro, but might be okay if you need a close up shot and don't have a macro lens.

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2014, 04:14:30 PM »
Surapon, that's an interesting combination and several years ago I saw Art Wolfe (one of my favorite photographers) using the 1.4x II, 12mm extension tube, and 24-70 f/2.8 (I) to take macro photos of a tree frog in the jungle.  I had forgotten about that until this post, but I might have to give that a try now that I have the 12mm tube.  It won't replace a true macro, but might be okay if you need a close up shot and don't have a macro lens.

Thanks you, Sir, Dear Friend mackguyver.
Only disadvantage thing for use the tube = We lose 2 stop of exposure(??), And That mean the Photographer must be the Young and Strong Hands Plus Handsome , like you--------Ha, Ha, Ha,  Old man like me, I must use the Tripods to shoot at slow shutter speed, If Not will get the Blur Picture, Like when I shoot at the Bigini at the pin point of beautiful Lady on the Beach.
Nice to talk to you again, Have a great Weekend.
Surapon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2014, 04:14:30 PM »

scyrene

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2014, 04:41:36 PM »

Only disadvantage thing for use the tube = We lose 2 stop of exposure(??), And That mean the Photographer must be the Young and Strong Hands Plus Handsome , like you--------Ha, Ha, Ha,  Old man like me, I must use the Tripods to shoot at slow shutter speed, If Not will get the Blur Picture, Like when I shoot at the Bigini at the pin point of beautiful Lady on the Beach.
Surapon

Guys, I've used the 85mm f/1.2 II with a 12mm extension tube a lot, and it's a sweet combination. Wide open it's rather soft, with what I would describe as ghosting, but stopped down to f/2 it works fine, and is great for food photography.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2014, 04:43:47 PM »

Surapon
You're too kind and too funny.  I would certainly need a tripod as well.  The only macro I do handheld is butterflies and bees and the 180L gets heavy pretty quickly.  Also, I think we might need to plan a CR trip to the beach - maybe a "Big White Convention" :)  Nice talking with you, too, one more workday to go...

Guys, I've used the 85mm f/1.2 II with a 12mm extension tube a lot, and it's a sweet combination. Wide open it's rather soft, with what I would describe as ghosting, but stopped down to f/2 it works fine, and is great for food photography.
scyrene, I think Surapon meant the 85 + 12mm + 2x extender, but that's cool to hear that the tube works really well with the 85.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2014, 04:43:47 PM »