September 15, 2014, 05:43:23 AM

Author Topic: track and field photography  (Read 3857 times)

AmbrojaP

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
track and field photography
« on: February 04, 2014, 09:57:35 AM »
i am wondering what are the best methods to photograph my sons track meets? i use a canon 1dx and 5d mark 3, most of the pics are blurry and i can't seem to get them sharp, i have read a lot on this but what i read docent make sense to me…..i usually take still images,(portraits/families/kids etc) please help me or tell me what are the best settings to set my camera on…thank you

canon rumors FORUM

track and field photography
« on: February 04, 2014, 09:57:35 AM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: track and field photography
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 10:06:49 AM »
Forum help will be limited, I'd suggest reaching out to a local camera club or shop for a hour or two of personal hands on tutoring, you will learn a lot more and it will be very specific for your situation.

Alternatively post some pictures to illustrate your frustration and list full EXIF, that will be a basis for specific help.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

AmbrojaP

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 11:06:50 AM »
ok thank you, tho si sky first time ever doing this and didn't know where to start with any of it….thanks a lot. do you have any suggestions or places you have visited for questions like this? (online places)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 11:08:40 AM by AmbrojaP »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 11:29:52 AM »
Oh I don't mean to belittle the user base here. It is just without very good outline of your specific shooting situation useful advice will be mixed in with a lot of sidetracking not so helpful stuff.

If I were you I'd look on the "Anything Shot With A 1DX" thread http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=8079.0 , there are a couple of track and field/sports shooters there, private message them. Neuroanatomist, probably the number one single source of info here, is a 1DX shooter and though I don't think sports is his forte he will certainly know what settings to start out with. But all of these people will need as much info as possible, like I said if possible, post some pictures with the EXIF.

THE resource for sports shooters is http://www.sportsshooters.com they have some very helpful people over there.

Canon has many white papers giving advice on all aspects of their equipment use. Here is a good starting point http://cpn.canon-europe.com/search/search.do I used 1DX AF settings as a search term.

But please post some pictures with the EXIF, tell us what you are not happy about with them and we can start.

Hope this helps.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

AmbrojaP

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 11:43:52 AM »
yes this helps and no you did not belittle anything, like i said this is the first i have done this stuff online. i appreciate your help! i will post a pic for more help…thanks again.

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 11:59:52 AM »
what settings are you using?
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

AmbrojaP

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 12:04:51 PM »
i just want them more clear,   they are blurry, i just found out about the af- button so i have not tried that, my iso was on 2000, with a 70-200mm, f4 shooting with a 1dx, and canon lens and 5dm3
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:09:42 PM by AmbrojaP »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 12:04:51 PM »

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 12:13:15 PM »
Tracking and shooting a moving subject is more technique and experience than settings.  Off hand, you'll want f4, 1/500th and what ever ISO it takes to get that.  The AF settings are a book by themselves, so really read up on your camera and it's tracking ability.  When shooting, are you zooming the lens as well (you shouldn't unless it creates the look you want)?  Indoor stuff is really hard due to the limited lighting, how has your success been shooting outside?
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

AmbrojaP

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 12:18:02 PM »
shooting outside was great last season and yes i am zooming in.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 12:22:02 PM »
Ok, we need to know all the AF settings, what Case Setting are you using, AF point/zone and expansion etc etc?

Now you have to understand the 1DX AF is the Bugatti Veyron of AF. A lot depends on how you "drive" the camera, for instance how good you are at keeping the AF point on the actual subject, etc.

That simple shot should work well with Case 1, but if you find you are constantly getting the the background in focus and the runner out of focus then Case 2 might suit you better. If you struggle with that and only occasionally get the subject actually under a selected AF point then Case 3 would be better.

As for AF point selection, if you are pre-composing (in your head) select a suitable AF point and use 8 point expansion, or choose a suitable zone and let the AF do its thing. If you are just using the center point then again use 8 point expansion.

This is a good starter http://cpn.canon-europe.com/files/education/technical/eos_1d_x_explained/AF_guide_EOS-1DX_eng.pdf

P.S. What was the shutter speed of the posted image and is it a crop or the full image? If it is a crop show us the full image.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:24:03 PM by privatebydesign »

jcns

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 12:29:45 PM »
your holding technique is another part you should look into.
If you are shooting at 200mm, I suspect you are, a monopod or better holding technique should help.  Try also aiming for 1/1000 speed if you can.

AmbrojaP

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 12:35:46 PM »
i looked and on that pic i used the 5dm3, and exposure was 1/800- f4- iso 2000, aperture mode and spot metering

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 12:42:06 PM »
Make sure the camera is in AI Servo mode, and AF will be updates for moving subjects.  Use a high shutter speed, and stop down enough to get extra depth of field.

The image from the side is not difficult to capture, if you are trying to capture something coming straight at you at high speed, then it gets tougher.

You don't need such a high powered camera for the image you were showing, all of the DSLR's will work fine, just use the settings I showed and forget all the case stuff, that's for difficult shots with special requirements.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2014, 12:42:06 PM »

AmbrojaP

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2014, 12:46:25 PM »
THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE INFO! IT REALLY HELPS ALOT!

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 01:04:12 PM »
this is one taken with the canon 1dx, and yes it is horrible but that's why i am here, not used to inside. exposure 1/40 f23 iso 2500, aperture evaluative metering. i ended up setting the 1dx down and just using the other. and lens was at 70 number 6 is who i was focus on.

Woah. What shooting mode are you in? There is no way you should be at f23 unless you want the motion blur, personally I like it. But this is not an AF issue it is basic camera use, I am not belittling you, just getting the information out there.

Where are you? I'd seriously consider my first thought, find somebody who can mentor you for a few hours, you will learn tons and rather than bombard you with possibly distracting info they will point out the stuff you need to know.

Alternatively there are many books and videos out there that will cover all you need to know to get a good foundation. Kelby training has a great reputation, I like Creative Live, Adorama has a fantastic selection of videos on YouTube with Marc Wallace that covers everything. Bryan Peterson has a long running series of books covering the basics but I find him a bit simplistic. I'd highly recommend a trip to the local book store to look over the photography instruction books.

Hope this helps.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2014, 01:04:12 PM »