August 28, 2014, 09:23:20 PM

Author Topic: Lee Filter Adapter Question  (Read 2453 times)

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Lee Filter Adapter Question
« on: February 13, 2014, 02:08:45 PM »
I will be going to Hawaii in August and thought that might be a great place to use a Lee Big Stopper. For a few moments last night, I thought Adorama had one in stock, but it turns out it was out of stock. Oh well, I ordered it and at least I'm now on the waiting list!

In the meantime, I would like to order the foundation kit and adapter rings. I think I can use a standard 67mm adapter for my 100mm L macro and 70-300L lenses.

But I have a question about my 24-105L: for proper use at 24mm, can I get by with the standard, or should I get the more expensive wide-angle version?

Also, any suggestions on other filters to take to Hawaii will be greatly appreciated. (I already have B+W CPLs in 67mm and 77mm.) It will be my first trip.

Thanks!

Vivid :)

canon rumors FORUM

Lee Filter Adapter Question
« on: February 13, 2014, 02:08:45 PM »

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Lee Filter Adapter Question
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 11:40:57 PM »
I just happened to still have my old 77mm standard adapter ring (along with the wide-angle adapter ring I use all the time now) so I gave it a quick & dirty test. With my 5D3, 24-105mm L, and Lee filter holder (Foundation Kit) in the typical configuration of 2-slots:

The standard 77mm adapter ring does indeed cause a slight amount of hard-mechanical vignetting (together with a moderate amount of soft vignetting) at 24mm. While the same setup using the wide-angle adapter ring appeared to add no vignetting; though the 24-105mm has more than its own fair share of vignetting at 24mm...

I don't have a cropped-sensor camera handy to test with, but judging by the small amount of hard vignetting with the full-frame 5D3, I bet a cropped-sensor camera wouldn't show any bad vignetting even while using the less expensive "standard" 77mm adapter ring.

As far as other filters go, if you get your Foundation Kit (with or without the Big Stopper) check out a 3-stop reverse-ND-grad. I wouldn't face a sunset here on the Oregon coast without one...

wtlloyd

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 12:22:52 AM »
You don't have to wait for Adorama.

All Lee filters including Big Stopper is in stock at 2filters.com

Super reliable, they've been around for years.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 04:17:25 AM »
If you want to save some money at the moment, I can recommend the Filter Dude Lee adapter on ebay. The wide angle adapter ring and the holder costs $ 40 and works with all Lee and Singh Ray filters perfectly (including the big stopper). Very nicely made.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
Thank you, JustMeOregon, wtlloyd, and sagittariansrock for your replies. They are all very helpful.

The Filter Dude Lee adapter did not seem to be available. Do any of you or the other readers know if the Lee Big Stopper will work in a Fotodiox 100mm filter holder?

King Eyre

• Power Shot G16
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 11:54:21 AM »
Personally, I'd spend the extra and get the UWA adaptor, if only that it's future proofing you to an extent.

Excellent system in my opinion.

George

sunnyVan

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 04:07:45 PM »
Thank you, JustMeOregon, wtlloyd, and sagittariansrock for your replies. They are all very helpful.

The Filter Dude Lee adapter did not seem to be available. Do any of you or the other readers know if the Lee Big Stopper will work in a Fotodiox 100mm filter holder?

I have a Fotodiox filter holder.  Regret buying it very much.  I can't compare it to other brands because this is the only one I ever tried.  It's a hassle to push the filter in. It tends to be stuck towards the middle and requires using two hands to get the filter past the middle portion.  Perhaps name brands are better?  What I learned is that it's much easier to hand hold or use tape when stacking multiple filters.  Anyway I just wanted to share my views on Fotodiox holder since there's not many reviews available
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 16-35 F4L IS, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT, Rokinon 14mm, EOS M

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 04:07:45 PM »

PhotographAdventure

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Snapshot Quality
    • View Profile
    • Harrisburg Wedding Photographer
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 07:03:50 PM »
You don't have to wait for Adorama.

All Lee filters including Big Stopper is in stock at 2filters.com

Super reliable, they've been around for years.

Just grabbed a big stopper before it went out of stock at BH yesterday.  Not sure how 2filters keeps stock.

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 07:20:55 PM »
Lots in my local camera store...

http://www.glazerscamera.com/store/lee-big-stopper-nd-4x4-10x.html

Go for the wide angle adapter, you'll want/need it at some point right?  77mm covers the 17-40, so why double purchase?
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2014, 10:08:16 AM »

I have a Fotodiox filter holder.  Regret buying it very much.  I can't compare it to other brands because this is the only one I ever tried.  It's a hassle to push the filter in. It tends to be stuck towards the middle and requires using two hands to get the filter past the middle portion.  Perhaps name brands are better?  What I learned is that it's much easier to hand hold or use tape when stacking multiple filters.  Anyway I just wanted to share my views on Fotodiox holder since there's not many reviews available

Thank you, sunnyVan, I will stick with the Lee holder. I could not find any reviews on the Fotodiox holder so your experience is very helpful.

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2014, 10:11:23 AM »
Personally, I'd spend the extra and get the UWA adaptor, if only that it's future proofing you to an extent.

Excellent system in my opinion.

George

Thank you, George.

jeffa4444

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 09:50:34 AM »
Hi Vivid Color

Other filters I would recommend for Hawaii for the 100mm holder are Sky Blue S/E 2 grad and Sunset S/E 2 grad its not always blue skies or perfect sunsets!
Alternatively get a set of ND grads if it is bright the variance between sky & land will be between 2 - 3 stops and these can be used at any time after than holiday.
Canon 6d, 7d & 550d with EF-S and EF-L glass

RobertG.

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 07:19:59 PM »
Hi,
A good alternative to the Lee Big Stopper is the newest 10 stop "Resin ProStop IRND" filter from Hitech. I got the 6 stop and 10 stop version of this filter some months ago and they are great! The pictures show almost no color cast anymore. I also have the two previous versions from Hitech, which I hardly every used because of the strong color cast. As far as I know the Lee Big Stopper is also prone to a rather strong blue color cast.

Much more usefull than ND filters are grad ND filters. For spectacular sunsets/sunrises a reverse ND filter is needed. If you are willing to be bothered by an adapter ring and unwiedly filter holder, get at least a 2 stop soft grad ND and 2 stop reverse grad ND filter. From my collection of more than a dozen grad and reverse grad ND filters, these are the 2 filters I use most. A matching pol filter in 105mm is quite expensive but definitely pays off. My rather cheap Sigma EX DG 105mm pol filter does a pretty good job for couple of years already. I do have some B+W pol filters in smaller diameters but I still couldn't justify the price of a 105mm B+W pol filter while having the Sigma one.

Kind regards, Robert
5DII | TS-E 17 mm L | TS-E 24 mm II | EF 35mm f1.4 | TS-E 45mm | EF 50mm f1.4 |
Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 | EF 85mm f1.8 | TS-E 90mm f2.8 | EF 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 07:19:59 PM »

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 10:57:28 PM »
Hi Vivid Color

Other filters I would recommend for Hawaii for the 100mm holder are Sky Blue S/E 2 grad and Sunset S/E 2 grad its not always blue skies or perfect sunsets!
Alternatively get a set of ND grads if it is bright the variance between sky & land will be between 2 - 3 stops and these can be used at any time after than holiday.

Thank you jeffa4444. I've been thinking about getting some colored filters as well as some ND grads so your suggestions are very helpful.

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 11:01:24 PM »
Hi,
A good alternative to the Lee Big Stopper is the newest 10 stop "Resin ProStop IRND" filter from Hitech. I got the 6 stop and 10 stop version of this filter some months ago and they are great! The pictures show almost no color cast anymore. I also have the two previous versions from Hitech, which I hardly every used because of the strong color cast. As far as I know the Lee Big Stopper is also prone to a rather strong blue color cast.

Much more usefull than ND filters are grad ND filters. For spectacular sunsets/sunrises a reverse ND filter is needed. If you are willing to be bothered by an adapter ring and unwiedly filter holder, get at least a 2 stop soft grad ND and 2 stop reverse grad ND filter. From my collection of more than a dozen grad and reverse grad ND filters, these are the 2 filters I use most. A matching pol filter in 105mm is quite expensive but definitely pays off. My rather cheap Sigma EX DG 105mm pol filter does a pretty good job for couple of years already. I do have some B+W pol filters in smaller diameters but I still couldn't justify the price of a 105mm B+W pol filter while having the Sigma one.

Kind regards, Robert

Thank you, Robert. I also appreciate your suggestions on the ND grad and reverse grad filters. Do you use the Lee or Hitech filters?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 11:01:24 PM »