December 21, 2014, 05:40:01 PM

Author Topic: Is the canon eos-m a dead end system?  (Read 18493 times)

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Re: Is the canon eos-m a dead end system?
« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »
No, what I posted and what you are thinking are two different things ;)

What you posted was:

the a7R with a metabones adapater on certain EF lenses is just as fast as the EOS-M

Sorry, but "just as fast," means 'the same speed'...not 'a lot more faster.'  Maybe you meant something else, but you stated what you stated.
Your question was:
"and somehow that's fine for the a7R but the M is too slow?"
My answer to your question was "No" ... but you are quoting dictionary definitions for something else, which has nothing to do with your question and my answer.

Got it. Sorry for the misunderstanding. I agree, and you're absolutely right - given how much people malign the EOS M compared to other MILC options, it's definitely NOT fine for the a7R with a Canon EF lens via adapter to focus as slowly as the EOS M.  :P
;D ;D ;D ... believe it or not, using the focus peaking feature, the a7R with a cheap adapter is actually much faster then the autofocus on EOS-M with its native lenses. I've had the EOS-M for almost a year and made over 30000 images with it, and I was very satisfied with it's image quality ... but after having tried some of the competing mirrorless cameras, I sold the EOS-M last week ... now I plan on getting a Panasonic GX7 and a Sony a6000 ... pretty sure of getting the a6000 (when it is released), but I'm still undecided about the GX7  :-\
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: March 02, 2014, 01:48:42 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 02, 2014, 07:28:11 PM »
The extremly narrow EF-M lens-lineup could be overcome by a nice published road-map (like other makers who act much mor customer-friendly than arrogant CaNikon) and even more so by means of the existing EF-/EF-M adapter, IF AF-performance would still be "decent enough" with existing EF/EF-S lenses mounted via that adapter. Unfortunately this is not the case with the current EOS-M and for all I have read so far, neither with the M2.

WTF?
this shows you dont own the camera let alone have ever used it
I have no problems with the EOS-M using EF lenses via the adapter
i use the 16-35 or the 135L the most and AF is reasonable and accurate with both lenses
 ::)

All a matter of expectations I guess. If you are happy with this kind of AF-"performance"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBHhEEu7YuU
... I am not. :-)

actually i just leave it in servo now its much faster to focus
and especially with usm lenses you know they have locked focus when they stop vibrating
its fast enough to track and capture people on the street and kids playing
i am sure it would still have no chance of shooting sports or wildlife but for my uses the af on the revised firmware
is ok not blazing good but not as bad as it initially was,

changing af setting on the M can really make a big difference to af performance
APS-H Fanboy

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2014, 02:02:00 PM »
Sony needs to release uwa asap for a7 system. ...otherwise, it could be "dead end" as eos-m.

FE 16-35/4.0 zeiss/sony is next up for 2014 according to the roadmap.
http://photorumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Sony-lens-roadmap.jpg
Current 24-70 f4 size is kinda big for this system. They need to release compact prime at f4.

Yeah, for an UWA 14mm (or even 20mm) f/4 would be nice, but for 85mm ... wee..ell :-\ I think f/2 is small enough for me ... I could live with that :).
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 06:28:29 AM by ecka »
FF + primes !

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »

;D ;D ;D ... believe it or not, using the focus peaking feature, the a7R with a cheap adapter is actually much faster then the autofocus on EOS-M with its native lenses. I've had the EOS-M for almost a year and made over 30000 images with it, and I was very satisfied with it's image quality ... but after having tried some of the competing mirrorless cameras, I sold the EOS-M last week ... now I plan on getting a Panasonic GX7 and a Sony a6000 ... pretty sure of getting the a6000 (when it is released), but I'm still undecided about the GX7  :-\
[/quote]

Did you update the firmware on your M?  I thought that made a significant improvement, and certainly faster than what I can achieve (at least with wide apertures) manually on my A7r (not that speed is usually an issue for me); though of course you may be much more adept at mf than I am....

As for the GX7, it certainly has its admirers, but its IBIS isn't nearly as good as that in Olympus bodies (esp. the OM-Ds), and the one I briefly owned never made images that looked as sharp as those I get from my Olympus - but maybe I had a bad copy.

Meanwhile, I suspect this post is closer to the truth than many around here would like:

http://soundimageplus.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/when-is-dslr-not-dslr-when-its-sony-a7r.html

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2014, 04:19:27 PM »
Meanwhile, I suspect this post is closer to the truth than many around here would like:

http://soundimageplus.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/when-is-dslr-not-dslr-when-its-sony-a7r.html

Hehe ... Thats exactly where we stand today!  ;D

Thanks for sharing!

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2014, 01:06:50 PM »

Did you update the firmware on your M?  I thought that made a significant improvement, and certainly faster than what I can achieve (at least with wide apertures) manually on my A7r (not that speed is usually an issue for me); though of course you may be much more adept at mf than I am....

As for the GX7, it certainly has its admirers, but its IBIS isn't nearly as good as that in Olympus bodies (esp. the OM-Ds), and the one I briefly owned never made images that looked as sharp as those I get from my Olympus - but maybe I had a bad copy.

Yes, I did update the firmware for the EOS-M and yes is it was much better, but still not up to competing mirrorless cameras ... that being said, I never had any problems with not being able to capture good images due to AF.
By the way the url you posted is returning an error ... could you check/re-post

Thanks

EDIT: Never mind, it is working now (might have been a temporary issue).
Very funny, enjoyed reading it ... to me, it sounded like a story more about a dumb salesman who does not know how to sell cameras and a customer who has no clue about what he wants.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:56:52 PM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2014, 01:20:49 PM »

jeffa4444

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2014, 02:20:28 PM »
Should Canon continue with the EOS-M line. Yes.

If it had been available earlier (like years earlier) I would have bought it, as it is I have Olympus m.4/3rd which is a great walk around / I dont want to lug around large cameras & lenses package today set-up. As good as the images are on the Olympus E-PL1 and OM-D E-M5 they dont match up to the Canon 6d although they come close to the Canon 7d in IQ the Olympus 9-18mm is a peach of a lens.
Canon 6d, 7d & 550d with EF-S and EF-L glass

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2014, 01:25:31 AM »
dead end is a generous description.  this system was still born - Canon shoved it out the door with lousy
AF performance, limited lens selection and insane pricing.  When discounted (over 50% to clear the inventory)
it still lingered on retailers' shelves and is only now becoming hard to find (at the discounted price.) 
In the meantime Canon introduced the SL1 which took further wind out of the M sales and also flooded the
information market about how the G1X was a better solution (it probably was) and released two rapid marginal
"enhancements" to the T3i all within the same MRSP.  They announced an interesting new lens - but not in the
largest USA market - and a new model with minimum enhancements for Europe but again not the US.  It would
appear that Canon USA knows a turkey when it sees one and wouldn't sign up for any volumes.  Now you're in
a "pasting feathers on a turkey" mode and you might be better off kissing it off and starting from scratch.

canonographer

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2014, 01:33:31 AM »
I have both the EOS-M and the 6D.  The EOS-M is a great camera for specific tasks.  I love having a small pocketable camera that I can take with me when I'm out with my family.  I love using the image stabilized 18-55mm lens for shooting video, and I love the idea of having a back-up camera that takes fantastic pictures and can use all my existing lenses with the adapter.  If I want to extend the reach of my long lenses, it's cheaper than the 1.4x extender and gives me 1.6x the reach of my FF lenses, and it works with ALL my lenses, unlike the 1.4x extender.

I would make a few improvements, to make it perfect.  1) If I had a collapsible wide angle zoom with IS, it would rarely come off the camera.  2)  I would like to be able to have some more settings for minimum shutter speeds, ISO, etc.  3)  Of course, faster AF, dual pixel, etc. would be huge.  If you could add a nice EVF similar to Sony's, that would be great, but probably not at the expense of size.

My 2 cents.

jeffa4444

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2014, 05:25:10 AM »
dickgrafixstop
North America (USA & Canada) represents 1/3rd of the global camera market and is falling in % terms. Asia is where the growth has been so its no wonder Canon only launched the EOS-M2 in that market. As for Turkeys all manufacturers have released models in North America and Europe that were Turkeys in those respective markets but were not in Asia and likely visa versa.

The North American market in global terms is still significant but not as significant as it used to be.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2014, 09:25:22 AM »
dead end is a generous description.  this system was still born - Canon shoved it out the door ...  Now you're in
a "pasting feathers on a turkey" mode and you might be better off kissing it off and starting from scratch.

The EOS M was the second best-selling MILC in Japan last year.  One country's meat is another one's spoiled turkey...   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Bob Howland

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2014, 11:33:22 AM »
dead end is a generous description.  this system was still born - Canon shoved it out the door ...  Now you're in

The EOS M was the second best-selling MILC in Japan last year.  One country's meat is another one's spoiled turkey...   ;)

I just wonder how many Japanese buyers buy it with only one lens and will never even put another lens on it. Of course, as I recall, the average number of lenses owned by Canon DSLR buyers is less than two.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2014, 11:33:22 AM »

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2014, 12:42:46 PM »

I just wonder how many Japanese buyers buy it with only one lens and will never even put another lens on it. Of course, as I recall, the average number of lenses owned by Canon DSLR buyers is less than two.

There are many people who would buy it without any EF-M lenses. They only care about adapters for lenses they already have, like Canon EF. That makes a lot of sense for telephoto, because there are no small CSC tele lenses without huge compromises in IQ. EF-S 55-250mm IS STM can be considered "near native" lens for EOS-M (via the adapter) - fast AF, nice optics, stabilized, compact (for 88-400mm equivalent :) ) and affordable. Many are using old manual lenses and they love it.
FF + primes !

jeffa4444

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »
ecka
"because there are no small CSC tele lenses without huge compromises in IQ"

I would dispute that claim Olympus & Fuji both make very good and high IQ lenses for CSC cameras. Lenses like the Olympus 12mm f2 ED, 60mm f2.8 ED, 75mm f1.8 ED, Leica 45mm f2.8 in micro four thirds or the Fuji XF 27mm f2.8 all perform excellently.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »