October 25, 2014, 04:39:01 PM

Author Topic: An Era of Mergers?  (Read 2474 times)

scottburgess

• EOS M2
  • Canonical Canon
    • View Profile
Re: An Era of Mergers?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 04:12:14 PM »
I have a hard time seeing Samsung as one of the smaller players. Maybe not so big in photography yet, but it'd be foolish to bet against them. They might not go after the pro market, but possibly pretty much everything else. Time will tell.
I think I would generally agree with this.  Right now they're a smaller fish.  But Samsung is willing to manufacture in numerous mature markets.  I would expect their camera market share to gradually grow over time, especially at the entry level in the nearer future.  The recent Canon announcement to exit low end cameras should benefit them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 04:12:14 PM »

scottburgess

• EOS M2
  • Canonical Canon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 04:28:51 PM »
Finally read about the Olympus corporate scandal from 2011-12 and looked at their stock trend.  Longer term trend from 2007 looks noticeably downward, but the stock did bottom in early 2012 and has been doing well the last couple years, with the 25-month average turning slightly upward in 2013.  The company had announced the closing of 40% of its manufacturing plants and the layoff of 7% of its workforce by 2015.  I currently presume that the photography and endoscope lines were not targeted for cuts, but this does make me wonder if they are too cash-poor at this juncture to invest sufficiently in R&D that would keep them competitive in camera markets.

Hmm...

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 06:59:27 PM »
I have a hard time seeing Samsung as one of the smaller players. Maybe not so big in photography yet, but it'd be foolish to bet against them. They might not go after the pro market, but possibly pretty much everything else. Time will tell.
I think I would generally agree with this.  Right now they're a smaller fish.  But Samsung is willing to manufacture in numerous mature markets.  I would expect their camera market share to gradually grow over time, especially at the entry level in the nearer future.  The recent Canon announcement to exit low end cameras should benefit them.
Yes - I meant that Samsung were currently a smaller player in the camera industry.  Overall, they have a stated goal of becoming the largest manufacturer of retail goods in the world.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 06:59:27 PM »