July 23, 2014, 06:33:43 AM

Author Topic: Canon & the EOS-1D X Dominate The World Press Photo List  (Read 7087 times)

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: Canon & the EOS-1D X Dominate The World Press Photo List
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 04:09:25 PM »
What's your point? These are press photographers. They are shooting for publication – newspapers, internet news sites and some magazines. Pixel peeping at 100% or more for dynamic range, shadow detail etc. takes a lower priority than getting the shot.

So your conclusion is that the D800 is not a good choice when "getting the shot" is important?   ;D

Hah! I know you're just kidding. But, my point is that I doubt too many press photographers pick the D800 because of it's megapixels. Also, from the data, it doesn't look like that many Nikon users have switched to the D800 anyway. Said this dozens of times: there is a reason why both companies' flagships are not high megapixel bodies.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 04:09:25 PM »

Azathoth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 04:59:11 PM »
1100D pwns! Love my camera.  8)

m

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 05:26:07 PM »
I take these statistics with a grain of salt as Canon is one major sponsor.
Didn't expect so many leicas.

However, from now on, whenever I count 8 1DX cameras in the hands of photographers at a press event, I'll expect to see that one bold guy with a Mamiya 7 to show up next to them.  ;D

Frage

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 06:22:22 PM »
How relevant could be the fact that Canon is the main sponsor of the World Press Photo 2014?

RomainF

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 09:26:46 PM »
These numbers are irrelevant because we don't know the original number of photographers. Not because Canon is one sponsor : they wouldn't give fake numbers anyway…

One thing you have to get is that press photographers doesn't all use a pair of 1Dx, a 24-70 II and a 300mm 2.8 II. Salaried ones, working for the major agencies (AFP ; Reuters ; AP) are the ones who use the best gear because they don'y have to pay for it. For any other press photographer, they are standing alone with their shitty sales report and they have to deal with that money to pay for their living and their cameras.
Their is not that much 1Dx in the everyday press context. The 5D3 is the most used Canon body. There are some 5D2 and a lot of 1D4 and 1D3. Except for the ones who don't pay it, their is a very few 1Dx. The Dx is so much expensive and a lot of works require the silent shutter of the 5D3. That's why it is the most used camera : expensive but not that much ; great AF ; good ISO and silent shutter. These are what a press photog really need.

You know that the news economic model collapses more and more every day that passes. Being a press photog is, nowadays, a mostly precarious situation. You simply don't have enough money to buy the version II of lenses and flagship body if you want to pay your rent and your food. You buy a good camera, keep it for two or three years (minus one if there is a presidential election in the year) and broke it after 250.000 / 300.000 pics. That's why you change it. Not because you want the trendy last camera that has a "better DR". No one ever talks, no one even ever think about DR. DR is only good enough for the forums and "experts" chatting.
Leica & Canon
35 1.4 for both ; ultra-wide & teles for the Canon

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 10:02:05 PM »
These numbers are irrelevant because we don't know the original number of photographers. Not because Canon is one sponsor : they wouldn't give fake numbers anyway…

One thing you have to get is that press photographers doesn't all use a pair of 1Dx, a 24-70 II and a 300mm 2.8 II. Salaried ones, working for the major agencies (AFP ; Reuters ; AP) are the ones who use the best gear because they don'y have to pay for it. For any other press photographer, they are standing alone with their shitty sales report and they have to deal with that money to pay for their living and their cameras.
Their is not that much 1Dx in the everyday press context. The 5D3 is the most used Canon body. There are some 5D2 and a lot of 1D4 and 1D3. Except for the ones who don't pay it, their is a very few 1Dx. The Dx is so much expensive and a lot of works require the silent shutter of the 5D3. That's why it is the most used camera : expensive but not that much ; great AF ; good ISO and silent shutter. These are what a press photog really need.

You know that the news economic model collapses more and more every day that passes. Being a press photog is, nowadays, a mostly precarious situation. You simply don't have enough money to buy the version II of lenses and flagship body if you want to pay your rent and your food. You buy a good camera, keep it for two or three years (minus one if there is a presidential election in the year) and broke it after 250.000 / 300.000 pics. That's why you change it. Not because you want the trendy last camera that has a "better DR". No one ever talks, no one even ever think about DR. DR is only good enough for the forums and "experts" chatting.

I am press/media. What you say is wrong and right. One year ago there is not many 1DX in the field. Now there are. I rarely see Canon 5D as I shoot action.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 10:40:07 PM »
It may be irrational, and fan-boyish, but I take a certain pride in owning a 5DIII seeing these results. It's encouraging to see that Canon cameras are getting the lions share of top results. It boosts my confidence in my choice to stay with Canon as well.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 10:40:07 PM »

Woody

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 12:06:37 AM »
43 cameras is not a large sample size. Also the 13 unknown cameras don't appear in the % chart and therefore skew all the results.

+1

christianronnel

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 12:23:10 AM »
Reuters Full Focus best of 2013 was even more lopsided to Canon:  A collection of the years's best 93 pictures.

http://blogs.reuters.com/fullfocus/2013/12/01/best-photos-of-the-year-2013/#a=2

80% of the pictures within the collection were taken with Canon cameras. The Canon 5D Mk3 and the Canon 1DX were the most popular each with 27 photos in the top 93. (29% each, 58% together) The Canon 1DMkIV had 11. What totally blew me away was that Nikon as a camera was only used for 11 pictures in the collection of the top 93.

Here is the full list by camera manufacturer and model:

1.  Canon 5D Mark III          27 pictures
2.  Canon EOS 1DX             27 pictures
3.  Canon EOS 1D Mark IV 11 pictures.
4.  Canon 5D Mark II             7 pictures
5. Canon EOS 1D Mark IIII 3 pictures

6. Camera with two photos in the collection:
 a. Canon 7D
 b. Nikon D3s
 c. Nikon D4
 d. Nikon D300S
 e. Nikon D3

7 . Cameras with one photo in the collection:
Canon EOS 1D Mark II.
Canon EOS 1D Mark II N
Canon EOS rebel T3
Nikon D7000
Nikon D700
Nikon D3100
iPhone
GoPro Hero II

http://kurtklimisch.blogspot.com/2014/01/examination-for-reuters-fullfocus-2013.html

Thanks for sharing.  The image with the mother giving birth is the one that will stay with me for days.

I don't care much which camera model they are using.  What's interesting is the dominant number of images shot with a 70-200 and 16-35.  I expected the 70-200 but I was surprised with how many images there are either shot with 16-35 or 24mm prime. If the 16-35 lens is popular with press photographers as well as landscape photographer one would think that a 14-24 lens would be one of Canon's top priorities.  Or am I looking at it the wrong way, is it because it's so popular that they don't think it needs a replacement?
Don't take life too seriously; no one makes it out alive anyway

EOS 5D mark III | EOS 7D | EF16-35mm f2.8L II | EF24-70mm f2.8L II | EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II | EF70-300mm f4-5.6L IS | EF40mm f2.8 STM | EF50mm f1.4 | EF85mm f1.8

MichaelHodges

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 12:33:31 AM »
But…but…the D800 has more DR…and more MP…  Why can't these top photographers understand how bloody important those two factors are in making better images?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

::)

I'm sure a photographer was using similar sarcasm back in 1977:

"But…but…the  Konica C35 has autofocus!…  Why can't these top photographers understand how bloody important that is in making better images?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

Or in 1975:

"Darn that Steven Sasson and his  Fairchild 100×100 pixel CCD! We have plenty of great cameras now. See how many journalists are using film?"

It's very easy to downplay technological advances in the guise of brand loyalty. But in the end, it just doesn't make much sense.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 12:46:13 AM by MichaelHodges »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2014, 12:39:55 AM »
But…but…the D800 has more DR…and more MP…  Why can't these top photographers understand how bloody important those two factors are in making better images?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

::)

I'm sure a photographer was using similar sarcasm back in 1977:

"But…but…the  Konica C35 has autofocus!…  Why can't these top photographers understand how bloody important that is in making better images?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

Or in 1975:

"Darn that Steven Sasson and his  Fairchild 100×100 pixel CCD! We have plenty of great cameras now. See how many journalists are using film?"

So an increase in resolution which is severely blunted by many common lenses or a 2-stop increase in already quite good DR are as paradigm-shifting as automatic focus or digital image sensors?  Is that really your argument here??  Sad.   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

MichaelHodges

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2014, 12:48:17 AM »
Improvements are improvements. Each works towards the ultimate imaging device. As long as we're all alive, it always will.

Downplaying improvements because they aren't happening with the brand you've exchanged vows with just doesn't make any sense. It's a reactionary stance, with little footing in logic or science.

zlatko

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 12:52:52 AM »
I wonder what the story is from the Olympics?  I see a lot of White lenses there it appears to be more than half but there are quite a few black ones as well.
If I were shooting action at the Olympics, the 1DX would be my first choice. 

For one brand to get 58% is remarkable considering the diverse styles and subjects represented in the World Press Photo awards.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2014, 12:52:52 AM »

zlatko

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zlatkobatistich.com
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 01:14:22 AM »
Improvements are improvements. Each works towards the ultimate imaging device. As long as we're all alive, it always will.

Downplaying improvements because they aren't happening with the brand you've exchanged vows with just doesn't make any sense. It's a reactionary stance, with little footing in logic or science.

Not all improvements help every photographer.  Photographers can rationally downplay improvements that don't actually make a difference to their work, while favoring improvements that do.  And something that is an improvement for one photographer's work may prove to be a detriment for another photographer's work.

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 03:22:12 AM »

Not all improvements help every photographer.  Photographers can rationally downplay improvements that don't actually make a difference to their work, while favoring improvements that do.  And something that is an improvement for one photographer's work may prove to be a detriment for another photographer's work.

Well said.

There is nothing that can improve the 1dx for me. I could be stupid and say a 100% accurate AF that is connected to my brain and ALWAYS focus where I think focus should be, but let's face it, that's a few years off still. I can't imagine not getting great images in any situation with the 1dx, better than any other camera. Tripod mounted or crawling in the mud or jumping a plane or anything else. I only bought the 1d3, 1d4 and 5d3 to upgrade what I didn't felt 100% happy with, not because I wanted the newest. With the 1dx I feel no need to buy anything else. It's some famous last words, I know. But it just works...
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 03:22:12 AM »