September 01, 2014, 10:58:11 AM

Author Topic: General purpose zoom for honeymoon  (Read 8100 times)

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
Re: General purpose zoom for honeymoon
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 12:26:43 AM »
I would take the 24-105 (sigma or canon...  up to you). if can stretch to the 24-70 II...  go for that... Either way, have fun and enjoy yourselves... ;)

5D MkIII + an every expanding array of lenses and accessories!
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2014, 12:26:43 AM »

alexturton

• EOS M2
  • I shoot what i find interesting; nothing else
    • View Profile
    • My flickr
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2014, 02:25:19 AM »
Thanks for all the comments. Some really great advice here.

I think I'll go with just maybe 2 primes. Think it might end up being 24mm and 100l (because I love macro).

And pack my compact for days when life is more important than ultimate iq
Bodies: 5d mk iii, 60d
Primes: 24L 1.4, Sigma 35 1.4, 40 pancake, 50L 1.2, 85L 1.2 ii, 8mm fisheye, lensbaby, 100L macro.
Zooms: 16-35 2.8 ii, 24-70 2.8 ii, 70-200 2.8 is ii, 120-400

MintChocs

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2014, 03:22:38 AM »
The problem with a Dslr is that whenever you ask someone else to use it, you always end up with blurred out of focus shots, so when you look back at your photos it will be like your wife went on the honeymoon on her own!(as you end taking all the photos) Just take a good quality compact that can shoot RAW, there'll be plenty of other holidays for the whole camera kit but only one honeymoon.

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2014, 05:18:06 AM »

I think I'll go with just maybe 2 primes. Think it might end up being 24mm and 100l (because I love macro).

+1

If you were considering taking a zoom plus one other lens as some have recommended, why not just take two primes? It's what you're used to, doesn't require any additional expenditure, and you already have a great idea how to use them and what results you'd be able to get with them. Plus two primes are typically lighter than a zoom and a prime.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

tomscott

• 6D
  • Graphic Designer & Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2014, 05:31:24 AM »
Well I like the 24-105mm its not the sharpest but its such a great range and they are cheap. The 24-70 F4 has pretty much the same IQ and the macro is a gimic when your used to shooting with a 100mm L as the distances are too close to shoot anything alive... the sigma is massive and heavy in comparison and the 24-70 is the best you can buy but lacks range IS and is heavy.

I would take the 35mm as its nicer focal length than 24mm for general shooting and a zoom and possibly the 100mm…

Hard choice but taking 3 wouldn't be a back breaker and you could always choose what to take with you that day?

But I do agree why not just rent a lens… cheap then no worry about spending so much and regretting the decision.
5D MKIII, 16-35mm F2.8 II L, 24-70mm F2.8 L, 24-105mm F4 IS L, 100mm F2.8 IS L, 70-200mm F2.8 IS II L, 50mm F1.8, 2x Ex, 580EX
BU: 40D,17-55mm F2.8 IS
www.tomscottphotography.co.uk

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2014, 07:36:34 AM »

Yes, and also take plenty of vitamins. ;D

I'm also planning a trip and I am tired of lugging all the big gear (and worrying about it being stolen from the hotel room ) so I'm looking at something small and light with great IQ....the Fuji x100s.

So if you're itching to buy something new for the trip, the Fuji x100s would be my recommendation....and leave all the pro gear at home.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

hgraf

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Herbert Graf Photography
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 10:40:25 AM »
The problem with a Dslr is that whenever you ask someone else to use it, you always end up with blurred out of focus shots, so when you look back at your photos it will be like your wife went on the honeymoon on her own!(as you end taking all the photos) Just take a good quality compact that can shoot RAW, there'll be plenty of other holidays for the whole camera kit but only one honeymoon.

Very true, but I prepare for those situations. It doesn't take me long to configure my DSLR to something like a point and shoot (smaller aperture, auto ISO, auto focus points, etc.).

For cameras that have it (Rebels do, don't know about higher steps), just turn the dial to the "green square" (or equiv for Nikon/Sony), that forces the camera into as close to P&S as you can get with no effect on your normal settings.

For my honeymoon, most of my shots were either my P&S or a waterproof P&S (a MUST if you're going anywhere wet, I got lots of good shots with my waterproof P&S that I never would have been able to get otherwise). I did have a Rebel with me and a slightly better then kit lens zoom that performed perfectly well. Carrying mostly a P&S let me capture all the moments I wanted, without letting the photography rule me during our trip.

I had a DSLR and did use it, but not that much, I focused on my new wife and enjoying myself.

Focus on what's important IMHO. This is a trip of a lifetime, make sure you enjoy it to it's fullest.

TTYL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2014, 10:40:25 AM »

raptor3x

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2014, 11:10:36 AM »
I'm heading on my honeymoon in April to Mauritius for 2 weeks.

At home, I shoot 5d mk iii and generally with primes (24L, 35, 50L, 85L, 100L macro and soon to have 135L).

I'm thinking of not taking any of those and just buying a general purpose zoom so that:

a) Im carrying less stuff (so my new wife doesn't kill me for taking so much stuff), and
b) I can focus on enjoying my honeymoon and taking snaps rather than worrying about having the right lens on (so my new wife doesn't kill me for taking so much stuff).

I could just take the 24, 50 and 135 + an extension ring and that would cover most scenarios. However on a general walk about I'd still be carrying 3 lenses.

I'm sure this has been covered before (somewhere) but I think my options are:

The canon 24-70 ii feels too expensive to justify.
The canon 24-70 f4 doesn't feel exciting enough (70mm @ f4) to warrant £1000.
The canon 24-105 f4 could be a reliable choice but its dated and I worry about sharpness and sample variation.
I like the look / idea of the tamron, but the stories I hear about AF inconcistency (not MFA) worry me.

So I'm kind of leaning towards the sigma 24-105 f4. But I've owned the old sigma 24-70 f2.8 in the past and found the AF to be unreliable and the bokeh to be unattractive. But I could save a bit of cash and buy a used canon 24-105 f4.

But does anyone have any good opinion (or bad opinions) of the sigma 24-105? and/or any decent and definative review sites? and/or does anyone have an opinion on whether the canon 24-105 would be a better bet?

And/or any other suggestions that I haven't considered?

Your time is always appreciated.
Thanks all
Alex

The 24 1.4 and 35 1.4 will both be great for taking shots of indoor activities,  ;D.
Bodies: 1Ds3,5D3,X-T1,A7 Lenses:  16-35L F4 IS, X 18-55 2.8-4, Σ 35 1.4 A, Σ 50 1.4 A, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 100L IS, 135L,  70-200L F2.8 IS II

Deva

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2014, 11:11:20 AM »
Rather than buy yourself a new lens, why not buy your wife a new camera, say a 6D, then she can help carry around your primes?

There's a lot to be said for developing a common passion...

JonAustin

• EOS M2
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2014, 11:13:55 AM »

The results I've received when asking others to photograph me/us are not blurry, out-of-focus shots. (I set the mode dial to Program AE, and confirm that the shooter knows how to half-depress the shutter button to achieve focus before releasing the shutter.) Rather, the problem is more often poorly composed shots (heads / feet cut off, trees or poles "growing" out of heads, zoomed too far in / (way) too far out, etc.)

That's why I always carry a compact CF tripod (my Oben CT-3410 weighs < 3 pounds, folds down to < 17 inches and supports nearly 17 pounds) and an intervalometer. It's actually quicker and easier to set up this rig and get the shot(s) I want, than to find a reliable-looking passer-by, introduce myself, ask him/her to take our photo, instruct him/her on how to use my camera, etc., etc., and then -- as often as not -- get disappointing results, anyway.

What does happen a lot when other vacationers / tourists are in the area watching me set up, is that they ask me to photograph them in the same setting, using their camera. (And then, usually, I have to ask them how to operate theirs!)

To the OP: when you return from Mauritius, share your dodo bird pics with us!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 11:19:28 AM by JonAustin »
Photographic equipment

Sharad.Medhavi

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2014, 11:17:05 AM »
One more vote for primes. Your 35mm as a walk around on a 5DIII, and the 85mm L for those beautiful portraits she would love. The pictures would come out a lot better than the zoom.

If you really want a zoom the new Sigma 24-105 IS or the Canon 24-70 II would do the job. As someone mentioned, do not take people pictures at 24mm with these lenses :) If you do, keep her away from the sides.

Thanks,
Sharad

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 11:38:48 AM »
G1X MkII, this is what it is made for.

I'd use my honeymoon as an excuse to buy a Fujifilm X-E1 kit with 18-55mm f/2.8-4 since they're under £700.

I'd use my honeymoon for anything but photography.............

+ 1 for me, Please
Exception + EOS-M , and 22 mm F/ 2.0 Lens
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Compact-Systems-Camera-3-0-Inch/dp/B008NENG1A

AcutancePhotography

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 11:42:28 AM »
On my honeymoon, my wife insisted on taking her Macro Lens.   :'(
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2014, 11:42:28 AM »

alexturton

• EOS M2
  • I shoot what i find interesting; nothing else
    • View Profile
    • My flickr
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2014, 01:10:57 PM »

Very true, but I prepare for those situations. It doesn't take me long to configure my DSLR to something like a point and shoot (smaller aperture, auto ISO, auto focus points, etc.).

For cameras that have it (Rebels do, don't know about higher steps), just turn the dial to the "green square" (or equiv for Nikon/Sony), that forces the camera into as close to P&S as you can get with no effect on your normal settings.

For my honeymoon, most of my shots were either my P&S or a waterproof P&S (a MUST if you're going anywhere wet, I got lots of good shots with my waterproof P&S that I never would have been able to get otherwise). I did have a Rebel with me and a slightly better then kit lens zoom that performed perfectly well. Carrying mostly a P&S let me capture all the moments I wanted, without letting the photography rule me during our trip.

I had a DSLR and did use it, but not that much, I focused on my new wife and enjoying myself.

Focus on what's important IMHO. This is a trip of a lifetime, make sure you enjoy it to it's fullest.

TTYL

I bought an rx100 exactly for this purpose. Plus arm length selfies which I can never do with 5d3 :-p

Yes, and also take plenty of vitamins. ;D

I'm also planning a trip and I am tired of lugging all the big gear (and worrying about it being stolen from the hotel room ) so I'm looking at something small and light with great IQ....the Fuji x100s.

So if you're itching to buy something new for the trip, the Fuji x100s would be my recommendation....and leave all the pro gear at home.

I agree with your comment. I'm interested in the x100s but haven't had a chance to play with one. Will investigate at the photography show at Birmingham nec this weekend
Bodies: 5d mk iii, 60d
Primes: 24L 1.4, Sigma 35 1.4, 40 pancake, 50L 1.2, 85L 1.2 ii, 8mm fisheye, lensbaby, 100L macro.
Zooms: 16-35 2.8 ii, 24-70 2.8 ii, 70-200 2.8 is ii, 120-400

JonAustin

• EOS M2
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 01:22:19 PM »
I bought an rx100 exactly for this purpose. Plus arm length selfies which I can never do with 5d3 :-p

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/813142-REG/XShot_XS2379_F_XShot_2_0.html
Photographic equipment

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2014, 01:22:19 PM »