September 20, 2014, 08:23:42 AM

Author Topic: It's too bad...  (Read 2566 times)

bauerman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
It's too bad...
« on: March 03, 2014, 10:15:59 AM »
It's too bad that the only active thread in this EOS-M forum is a juvenile pissing match regarding the M system and what it woulda, coulda, shoulda been. 

canon rumors FORUM

It's too bad...
« on: March 03, 2014, 10:15:59 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: It's too bad...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:22:01 AM »
Well, that's only because the EOS M is a worthless little camera that shows how little Canon is able to innovate and how they fail to understand that mirrorless is the wave of the future…or maybe it's because the EOS M is a great little camera that delivers very good IQ by putting a large sensor in a small, well-constructed body with a great UI that also happens to be compatible with the best lens lineup in the industry.

Let us know when you figure out which is correct.  ;D
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bauerman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 10:35:54 AM »
I'm going with the latter obviously of the two scenarios presented above. 

Now I'm looking to get that nice 11-22 wide angle IS lens for an upcoming trip to the Grand Canyon....

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 07:51:28 PM »
Well, that's only because the EOS M is a worthless little camera that shows how little Canon is able to innovate and how they fail to understand that mirrorless is the wave of the future…or maybe it's because the EOS M is a great little camera that delivers very good IQ by putting a large sensor in a small, well-constructed body with a great UI that also happens to be compatible with the best lens lineup in the industry.

Also while the EF-M selection consists of only 3 lenses the 22mm f2 and 11-22 EF-M are stunningly good, compact and cheap, even the basic 18-55 is pretty respectable
The more I use the M the more I'm impressed by it
APS-H Fanboy

dcm

• EOS M2
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 11:42:18 PM »

Now I'm looking to get that nice 11-22 wide angle IS lens for an upcoming trip to the Grand Canyon....

I'm in the same camp.  Picked up the M to lighten the load when hiking, no regrets.  Even with a full complement of lenses (22, 11-22, 18-55 and EF-S 55-250 IS STM), it's only about a third the weight and space of my 6D kit (40, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 F4 IS, 1.4x III) and gives me greater reach (17-400 equivalent vs 17-280).   

I sometimes want a longer lens on the trail and the 55-250 has been a pleasant surprise on the M.  It's around twice the weight and size of the other zooms (including the adapter), quick focusing, silent, and is easily handheld - even at 250mm.  An EF-M variant might save half the difference in weight and space from the other EF-M zooms if it ever arrives.  And it will probably cost more so this will do until then.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 01:21:45 AM by dcm »
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 01:37:20 AM »

I'm in the same camp.  Picked up the M to lighten the load when hiking, no regrets.  Even with a full complement of lenses (22, 11-22, 18-55 and EF-S 55-250 IS STM), it's only about a third the weight and space of my 6D kit (40, 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 F4 IS, 1.4x III) and gives me greater reach (17-400 equivalent vs 17-280).   

I sometimes want a longer lens on the trail and the 55-250 has been a pleasant surprise on the M.  It's around twice the weight and size of the other zooms (including the adapter), quick focusing, silent, and is easily handheld - even at 250mm.  An EF-M variant might save half the difference in weight and space from the other EF-M zooms if it ever arrives.  And it will probably cost more so this will do until then.

nice how does the M go with the 55-250? got any sample shots from it?
APS-H Fanboy

bainsybike

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »
The more I use the M the more I'm impressed by it

Me too.

Another lens that goes well with the M is the nifty fifty.  Mounted on the adaptor, it's very much the same size and weight as the native zooms.  Makes a great companion to the 11-22.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »

bauerman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 09:49:58 PM »
For you guys that have the 11-22mm - where are are able to pick one up?  There are none available on the normal photo forums and Henry's and Vistek in Canada are out of stock.  The only ones that I can find are on Ebay and they are over-priced and will take a month to get here.....

Let me know.

dcm

• EOS M2
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 10:27:58 PM »
For you guys that have the 11-22mm - where are are able to pick one up?  There are none available on the normal photo forums and Henry's and Vistek in Canada are out of stock.  The only ones that I can find are on Ebay and they are over-priced and will take a month to get here.....

Let me know.

I got mine from DigitalRev (Hong Kong).  Arrived in about a week.
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

bauerman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 08:14:12 AM »
DCM - do you have a link for DigitalRev?

dcm

• EOS M2
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 01:40:05 PM »

If you haven't already googled it - http://www.digitalrev.com/
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 10:24:39 AM »

As it often happens, I guess the truth is in the middle.

bauerman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 03:06:08 PM »

Holy moly - they have some nasty, nasty reviews on resellerratings.com

I luckily was able to grab one from another user in the US on a buy and sell board this morning.  Reading the reviews of paperwork, extra fees and just in general hassle with receiving a package from Hong Kong - I am very relieved. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2014, 03:06:08 PM »

dcm

• EOS M2
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2014, 03:32:39 PM »

I luckily was able to grab one from another user in the US on a buy and sell board this morning.  Reading the reviews of paperwork, extra fees and just in general hassle with receiving a package from Hong Kong - I am very relieved.

I understand the concerns and had seen the mixed reviews so I was prepared. 

I purchased two things from them, no problems so far.  The first was a small purchase (<$40) a few months earlier to see how they would do.  The second was the lens.  Both arrived fine - new items, unopened, in original factory packaging and are working fine so far.  I accept that support may be an issue, but I haven't had issues with my other Canon equipment.

Receiving the package from Hong Kong is no big deal.  It was packaged very well and shipped FedEx - easy to track.  The experience is similar to online Apple purchases I make that are shipped directly from China.

My only hassle was that one credit card company wouldn't deal with them since they were outside US and refused to accept the charge.  Another card sailed through just fine.  I use separate cards for online purchases so I can easily track them, no issues there yet.

YMMV :-\
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 08:00:22 PM »

i've bought tons of stuff from digital rev

never had a problem
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2014, 08:00:22 PM »