September 02, 2014, 11:13:48 AM

Author Topic: Help needed! Photography job!  (Read 731 times)

gjones5252

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Help needed! Photography job!
« on: March 03, 2014, 10:03:23 PM »
I am signed up to do a event. It will be a benefit banquet for a boys home. They would like to have a cowboy themed photo booth. The only issue is they want to have me be able to print the pictures instantly. Seems like they would be willing to cover the cost of me buying a printer. I normally just print at my local print shop. I don't really have a lot of experience with instant print type of setup. Should I buy one? Which one? Or should I try to do the print and mailing later? I 8x10 can't be that much to mail. Please help me figure this out!

canon rumors FORUM

Help needed! Photography job!
« on: March 03, 2014, 10:03:23 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed! Photography job!
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 10:12:20 PM »
I am signed up to do a event. It will be a benefit banquet for a boys home. They would like to have a cowboy themed photo booth. The only issue is they want to have me be able to print the pictures instantly. Seems like they would be willing to cover the cost of me buying a printer. I normally just print at my local print shop. I don't really have a lot of experience with instant print type of setup. Should I buy one? Which one? Or should I try to do the print and mailing later? I 8x10 can't be that much to mail. Please help me figure this out!

How many prints and over what timeframe?

Any photoprinter can spit out a picture in a couple of minutes, but you are going to go through a fair bit of ink and paper...
The best camera is the one in your hands

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 10:16:15 PM »
I would not get a inkjet, they are slow, and need to dry before sending them off with someone,  a Dye Sub printer is good for events, and fairly fast. 
If they are willing to buy you a $1300 printer, go for it!  Paper and dye sub film will cost more on top of that.

http://www.amazon.com/DNP-Photo-Sublimation-Professional-Portrait/dp/B0061GJS1Y

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00004Y7KO/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new

tolusina

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 12:08:22 AM »
40 on 6

Jeff

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • DC Architectural Photographer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 05:15:01 PM »
I would not shell out any money on equipment unless you have in your contract a guaranteed number of print sales that will justify you profit along with your hefty expense.  Who will be paying for the prints, are they extra costs for the attendees, are they complimentary by the charity to get the attendees to open their wallets for donations and if so does the amount of money you are receiving from the NGO justify the extra expense?  Can you rent the printer from a local rental house or see if your local lab can send a printer and operator to the event with you?

I know a lot of questions, but I have been talked into doing these charity events before and they are neither profitable nor do they generate true leads.  I've also had some very honest insiders insight into NGOs and not only DO they have money other venders charge them premium rate while at the same time scamming artists with their we're not in the advertising business we are charity.

I know it sounds like bad business advise but it is ok to let the client know you are not going to deliver beyond your means and what they are paying for.

gjones5252

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 10:35:24 PM »
Thank you everyone that is great advice. i dont know how many prints but there are usually 100+ in attendance and it will be free most likely to anyone who shows. If its a cost it will be money going to the organization, not profit per picture for me.
$1300 dollars is above what they probably would like to cover, and even at that i would not recieve anything. I am not above charity, but i am at the point where i need to at least have my time covered. I have a wife and first baby on the way. The time with her has a value and to give that  away for nothing seems unreasonable.

I like the idea of getting a print shop to bring something. If they would also do it for "charity" (see above).

It sounds like the print shop or getting a very basic printer and making them small 5x6. Which i dont enjoy as thats a lesser representation of my work and its not really unique or memorable.
Thanks for all your advice. Ill contact them and sit down to discuss options.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 10:35:24 PM »