April 01, 2015, 01:06:26 PM

Author Topic: rubber head for a tripod?  (Read 610 times)

luckydude

• Rebel SL1
rubber head for a tripod?
« on: March 06, 2014, 11:29:52 PM »
I've got rubber gizmo - about an inch wide cylinder with scooped in sides like a woman's tshirt, maybe 1.5 inches tall, female threaded on the bottom, male on the top.  It's best used on a monopod where you have to lean to the side but you want the camera to be horizontal.  I use mine when shooting hockey with a monopod and the 200mm f2.

I'm wondering if anyone knows what I am talking about and if they can still be bought.  I love the one I have but I'd love to find one that was stiffer for bigger lenses (like the 600mm).  I like to sling the camera and the lens over my shoulder on a monopod which works great without the rubber thing, flops around with it.  So a stiffer one would be better (hmm, I bet my wife thinks that too :)

canon rumors FORUM

rubber head for a tripod?
« on: March 06, 2014, 11:29:52 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
Re: rubber head for a tripod?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 11:42:01 PM »
Yep, it is the Manfrotto 235C Flex Head. Don't know of a bigger one but I wouldn't trust a big lens on it anyway.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

luckydude

• Rebel SL1
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 01:10:58 AM »
Yep, that is it!  Thanks so much.  So nobody makes a stiffer one?

luckydude

• Rebel SL1
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 09:35:51 AM »
Actually now that I'm looking it seems like this is out of production, I can't find it.  Seems a shame, I love the one I have, works great.  Still looking, if I find one I'll post a link.

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 10:49:24 PM »
Vibration dampers are similar enough to that device that you might be able to find something usable.  McMaster-Carr has a very, very interesting website; you've been warned ;-)

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 10:49:24 PM »