December 21, 2014, 02:38:47 PM

Author Topic: Three days in The Big Apple  (Read 6142 times)

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
Re: Three days in The Big Apple
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 11:39:35 AM »
As for a tripod, what if you took a Tamrac Zipshot?  You could use it as a monopod up on the top of Empire and it wouldn't get in anyone's way, etc.  I think the reason they don't allow the tripods is due to the crowds and the fact that the tripod legs stick way out and trip folks, etc.  Whatever the reason or whatever you decide, maybe you can use some kind of monopod braced against the rail to help with shots like that.  Good luck!  Enjoy!
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 11:39:35 AM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 12:00:24 PM »
As for a tripod, what if you took a Tamrac Zipshot?  You could use it as a monopod up on the top of Empire and it wouldn't get in anyone's way, etc.  I think the reason they don't allow the tripods is due to the crowds and the fact that the tripod legs stick way out and trip folks, etc.  Whatever the reason or whatever you decide, maybe you can use some kind of monopod braced against the rail to help with shots like that.  Good luck!  Enjoy!

I have never had a problem getting my monopod through security. I have a nice walnut ball that threads onto the top of the monopod and I extend it to cane length and walk with a bit of a limp :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

mm

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 12:09:30 PM »
Make sure you take a spin to the Top of the Rock.  The worst thing about the Empire State Building, you can't see the Empire State Building.  The Rock gives  a great view of the State Building and the Park.

Second, take the ferry to Staten Island.  It's not so much Staten Island that you want, but the trip back from Staten Island gives an incredible view of lower Manhattan.  You also get a quick boat by of the Statue of Liberty. 

pulsarman

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 02:27:17 PM »
You've gotten great advice.  I love the Flatiron building and revisit  the neighborhood almost every time I'm in NYC (a few times a year).    Give yourself plenty of time to maximize serendipity.     If architecture is high on your list you might want to rent a tilt-shift lens (24mm).   B&H is a must.   If you go in with a backpack holding your camera and gear, let them know and they'll let you take it through rather than checking it.   You can also try out any of the lenses.   I've never had a problem in the city, safety wise.  Biggest worry is the siren call of B&H.

ooF Fighters

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 04:29:13 PM »
Wow-christianronnel, Those are a couple of inspiring shots!

I think my equipment list is coming together:
Monopod
5 DIII + 7D w generic straps
24-105/ 24-70 +10-22 & 8-15 fisheye
1 ratty looking backpack
cards & batteries-
It could hardly be simpler
Just gotta talk my wife out of the plays on Broadway and most the museums now...
As far as I can tell from the web site , the Statue of Liberty is open, fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone!

A visit to the top of the Empire State is  a must.  You can buy a Citypass that would get you big discounts.  Skip most of the museums except for maybe Guggenhiem for architecture photography and the Met just for awesomeness.  The Brooklyn bridge is not that far either and it's a good stroll.  There are some good cafes and restaurants to have dinner in that area after sunset shooting.  Here are a couple of shots I took when I was there a week before hurricane Sandy.  Have a fun and safe trip!

http://500px.com/photo/61877397
http://500px.com/photo/61710507

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 05:11:01 PM »
I'm going to be in NYC for 3 or 4 days this spring so all of this advice will be helpful to me too. Just want to say thank you!

Also, the photos that have been posted/linked to are inspiring!

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 07:45:21 PM »
As a New Yorker I gotta post this to this thread. It is hysterical and all totally true. I'll follow with real suggestions after we all have a laugh.

http://youtu.be/8LmPBPWHJu4
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 07:45:21 PM »

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 08:10:15 PM »
Also ooF,

You really don't have to worry about taping up your gear or putting it in a grungy disguise, NYC is super safe. There are lights, people and police officers everywhere you go. Everyone else around you will also have cameras hanging around their necks and looking up :)

What area are you staying in? I can give suggestions for food and the enjoyable things that the locals do. I've actually never been to the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, etc... and I've lived here my while life!
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 09:22:51 PM »
As a New Yorker I gotta post this to this thread. It is hysterical and all totally true. I'll follow with real suggestions after we all have a laugh.

http://youtu.be/8LmPBPWHJu4
I notice that you did not post this between the hours of 4 and 6 :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

ooF Fighters

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 09:27:56 PM »
Also ooF,

You really don't have to worry about taping up your gear or putting it in a grungy disguise, NYC is super safe. There are lights, people and police officers everywhere you go. Everyone else around you will also have cameras hanging around their necks and looking up :)

What area are you staying in? I can give suggestions for food and the enjoyable things that the locals do. I've actually never been to the Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, etc... and I've lived here my while life!

Thanks pdirestajr!
Great video, thanks for the laugh- I sat the family down to watch & learn :). We'll stay outta da way. Good to see New Yorkers still have a sense of humor.
We'll be staying at the Cassa Hotel - 70 W 45th St in midtown Manhattan. And I am not above eating boiled, mystery meat wrapped in intestine or assorted toppings on a slab of dough, they are staples in my house. I think I am going to love NY after all. Maybe I'll get a shirt to show it.

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 09:55:50 PM »

So- should I pass on the Statue of Liberty & Empire state Bldg? I expected those to be way up on someones list but maybe they arent that interesting?

Depends what you mean - if you like how cities look from on high (I don't), by all means go up the Empire State Building or something similar (I would rather look up at it with a wide-angle lens); otherwise, it's hard to avoid (you get nice, if somewhat distant, views of it and the Chrysler Building, from the High Line).  The best way to see the Statue of Liberty is probably from a boat, such as a Circle Line cruise (there's at least one that doesn't take too long and takes you around the southern end of Manhattan - great views of the city if you have the time, day or night).

JumboShrimp

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 10:35:55 PM »

mwh1964

• EOS M2
  • 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2014, 12:31:01 AM »
A New York too. Safety will not be a concern, if acting with slightest common sense. Go take the East River Ferry - 12$ day pass - and visit LIS, Williamsburg and Brooklyn Bridge Park (be sure to try the vanilla Chocolate Chip at at BKL Ice-cream Factory) and then pass the bridge by foot and proceed to city hall, WTC, Battery Park, Wall St perhaps a heli ride before heading back to midtown from pier 11. Enjoy 
5D3 | 16-35L IS | 24-70L II | 24-105L | 70-200L II | 70-300L | 15 fisheye | 35 IS | 40 STM | 50 f1.4 | 100L | B&W Kaesemann | 2 x 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | MR14-EX | EOS M + 22 STM + 90 EX | Manfrotto | Billingham | Lowepro | Think Tank

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2014, 12:31:01 AM »

SwampYankee

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2014, 10:42:32 AM »
Staying in midtown?  First and most important rule.  GET OUT OF MIDTOWN!  Midtown is mostly tourist stuff anyway.  Sure, you have to photographer the Chrysler building and the Empire State Building so get it out of your system.  The other thing that is kind of in midtown is Grand Central Station.  Spend a few hours in Grand Central Station .  Good place for people & architectural photography.  Save this if it's raining and you need to be inside.  Now, lets get you out and about.  Take the F train to York Street in Brooklyn (buy yourself a 3 day unlimited card, subways is the best way to get around, safe & fast).  Walk through DUMBO to Brooklyn Bridge Park (this is a short walk but gets you under 2 bridges and the best views of Manhattan.  Continue in the park under the Brooklyn Bridge to the Squibb Park rope bridge.  go past the bridge and take some photos of the skyline  with the burnt out pier pilings. Now up the Squibb Park bridge  to the Brooklyn Heights Promenade  (think Moonstruck).  You then have the choice to walk through Brownstone Brooklyn or walk over the Brooklyn Bridge to lower Manhattan.  This should fill up a day and a memory card or 2.
Another day you can catch a subway to the Lower East Side (F train again to Essex Street) walk around the Lower East Side and then walk over the Williamsburg Bridge to hipster Brooklyn in Williamsburg.  Take the L train back to the end (8th Avenue and if you have anything left in your legs you can walk visit the Chelsea Markets and walk up the HighLine Park.  You might also want to take the tram to Roosevelt Island and see Freedom Park.  Great views of Manhattan here.  As to Museums the Museum of Modern Art can be hit or miss and is usually impossibly crowded.  There is plenty to see and photograph at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  Here is my best tip.  It is open until 9PM on Friday and Saturday.   The crowds really thin out after 5PM.  Go at 5 stay until 9. If it's nice out it is safe to walk around the Central Park reservoir at night.  Other ideas are the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and one of my favorites is Green Wood Cemetery.  Not hard to get too and definitely something special that the tourists don't see.  Once again GET OUT OF MIDTOWN!  Midtown is for tourists.   You can do well with just the 24-105.  Thats is what I use about 95% of the time.  The wide angle will be useful too.  If you don't have a Black Rapid or something similar you might want to consider it.  Takes a big load off your neck and will add hours to your shooting day.  BTW Grand Central Station and I think the museums frown on tripods.  Best time and place for a tripod is Brooklyn Bridge Park at night.  Welcome and have fun
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 11:14:52 AM by SwampYankee »
5DIII | 70-200 IS F4L | 24-105L |50 1.8 I |1002.8L | Tokina 16-28 2.8 |600EX

jointdoc

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2014, 03:41:50 PM »
The following link is one my sister gave me.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/emmyf/10-secret-sites-of-new-york-city
Canon 5D MkII; Canon T2i; EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 40 f/2.8; EF-S 18-135; EF 50 f/1.8 II; Canon 2x Mk. III T.C.; EF 100 f/2.8 macro; EF 16-35 f/2.8L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2014, 03:41:50 PM »