July 29, 2014, 02:09:42 AM

Author Topic: BlackRapid FAIL - grrrrrr  (Read 3177 times)

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
BlackRapid FAIL - grrrrrr
« on: March 11, 2014, 12:10:24 AM »
I know this has been talked about before, but i'm bringin it up again!

Short-version:
5D III + 2xTCIII + 70-200 2.8L IS II flew off a moving safari jeep. Lens broken (with canon now), camera and TC appear to have survived! It was fastened into my sports strap properly moments before hand!

Long version: I was on safari in India. I had my 5D MK III, 2xTC III and 70-200 2.8L IS II attached to my blackrapid sport via the lens tripod foot mount. I was standing up and sitting down a lot to take pictures. One time when bringing the camera down after a shot and the jeep started to move, however, where my set-up would normally stop and rest at my hip, it continued down, all the way down to bounce of the edge of the Jeep, out of the side and onto the dirt and rock path 5-6 feet below from the now accelerating vehicle! Somehow the camera had unlatched itself from the 'connectr'.  Now at this point, if i where you, i would be asking if this guy had actually fastened his camera on correctly. Well I did, and i know I did because this is the second time it has happened. The first time result in nothing other than my bemused face when my camera i thought attached to my strap was not and tumbled unharmed 30cm (1 foot) into some snow. I had blamed myself for this first accident, assuming I had not fastened it in properly. So since then i make sure to periodically check that it is fastened and the screw tightened correctly. I had checked my connection minutes before on the safari and still within that short time-frame it came loose.

Comments: This is a known problem, and known by BR since they now have a 'Lockstar' to hold the connector closed. This would have saved my gear. Do new straps come with one as standard???

Conclusion : Those with BR buy a 'lockstar'. Those who do not use BR, bare this in mind before making your purchaser decision, and get a lockstar!
5D MkIII + an every expanding array of lenses and accessories!
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

canon rumors FORUM

BlackRapid FAIL - grrrrrr
« on: March 11, 2014, 12:10:24 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
Re: BlackRapid FAIL - grrrrrr
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 12:22:54 AM »
Sorry for your loss. I keep hearing these horror stories of cameras detaching from BR straps and getting wrecked and wonder many times as to why I keep using them. That said, this has happened to me as well (in a sort of way). Fortunately, I had taken Martin Bailey's advice and the gear was unharmed.

http://www.martinbaileyphotography.com/2011/05/29/podcast-288-camera-straps-and-safety-measures/

Hope the damage on the 70-200 wasn't too severe and you get your lens back soon. They take too much time repairing lenses here in India.
Light is language!

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 12:33:22 AM »
Thanks...  I hope they can fix it soon, i'm going to Kaziranga at the end of next week! :(

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 12:37:33 AM »
Thanks...  I hope they can fix it soon, i'm going to Kaziranga at the end of next week! :(

Hope to see some photos of the Indian Rhinos soon. Good luck with your trip.

PS: Maybe you could test out the Tamron 150-600 while the 70-200 (+2x TC) is under repair :)
Light is language!

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 01:08:37 AM »
Hope to see some photos of the Indian Rhinos soon. Good luck with your trip.

PS: Maybe you could test out the Tamron 150-600 while the 70-200 (+2x TC) is under repair :)

Will do my best for the rhinos...  and as for a new lens, I think i will see how much 'spare' cash i will have after this fix job!

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 03:16:15 AM »
They take too much time repairing lenses here in India.

I handed it to the Master repair centre here in Bangalore at 19:15 last night, just got a phone from them saying they have identified the problem and that it will take a day to fix, IF THEY HAVE THE PART....  assuming they have the part, that seems pretty good to me!

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 03:25:53 AM »
40,000 INR to FIX!!!  :O  :'( (623USD)....

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.....  That strap was not worth it!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 03:25:53 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 04:12:39 AM »

Ouch! That's steep!
Light is language!

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 04:21:27 AM »

Ouch! That's steep!

It did fly out of a moving jeep falling about 6 feet and bounce along a dirt path...  but yes, i am far from happy!

I am going to glue my black-rapid connector shut on the bolt, and attach a safety line from the strap to the body!!!!!!  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  I am sooooo pi***d off.....  :(

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 04:53:21 AM »
so what failed?

pics?

from the description i assume the carabina like clip came unclipped?
APS-H Fanboy

adhocphotographer

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 05:28:49 AM »
so what failed?

pics?

from the description i assume the carabina like clip came unclipped?

Exactly...  that is what happened. I guess my consent getting up and down wangled it free...  :( I think that would constitute a design flaw! :(

fatmanmedi

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 06:20:17 AM »
i too have had problems with BR straps, one time i wash shooting in Florida, a fashion shoot on a boat, the boat took a turn a little too sharp, and my D4 + 70-200 Nikon lens detached it self from the strap and went over the side of the boat and duly sank.

I now use thread lock on the mount to make sure it's secure and i check it before every shoot where the camera can get damaged.

i feel for you, as it's never nice to see a camera get damaged due to a part failing.

I use BR straps because i don't see a good enought alternative on the market.

Fats

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 08:18:50 AM »
Unfortunate - sorry for your loss!

I have to say, in several years of using BR straps (I have a couple of them), I've never had the carabiner locking ring come loose.  I did have one camera drop incident, but that was due to an inadvertent press of the lens release with the strap attached to the lens (and that was due to an unbalanced rig with a 2x TC when connected via a FastenR-T1/RC2 plate - switching to Arca plates and a Kirk 1" clamp on the BR strap allows me to balance appropriately). 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 08:18:50 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 08:40:07 AM »
Sorry for your loss, but at least it is fixable.

May I ask why you were using a BR strap in the first place (especially if you knew about issues with the BR)?

I am a big fan of the traditional neck strap, I find them comfortable and they allow you to control your camera by holding it lens down flat against your body when not in use.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

TrabimanUK

• EOS M2
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 09:23:41 AM »
Had a similar thing happen with a Hama strap - the pin between the strap and the mouting bracket sheered and dropped my 60D+70-200 onto a pavement.  No damage, just some scratches, but I've gone for Sunsniper as they have less moving parts and are more robust.
Canon 5D, 60D, 40D, SX150-IR/UV, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM 
Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 09:23:41 AM »