November 26, 2014, 10:27:25 PM

Author Topic: BlackRapid FAIL - grrrrrr  (Read 11209 times)

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
Re: BlackRapid FAIL - grrrrrr
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 02:09:54 AM »

I watched it go down, the boat was going at around 18kts so by the time we got back to where it had entered the water it was too late to recover it.

fats

I think you win in terms of loss...  I think if i where you i would have just followed it off of the boat!  I did the same on the jeep, jumped right on after my camera! When i think back it was maybe not the best decision considering the jeep was moving, but my cat like reflexes did my well!

I should get my lens back tonight, I hope it is all fine.... 

I have been in contact with BR and they have been quite nice (kudos to them). they asked me "How do you feel we can make this situation right for you?" So i asked them to pay for the repair bill...  lets see what they say about that! Will keep you posted!
5D MkIII & 100D
17-40L, 24L II, 24-105L, 70-200L, 500L II
-------www.adhocphotographer.com--------

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2014, 02:09:54 AM »

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2014, 12:16:20 AM »
In case anyone is interested....

My lens got repaired for 44000 INR (735 USD) and blackrapid are going to pay for the repairs, which is nice of them!

No matter what you say about their straps, they stand behind their product and believe in it. I am still using my black-rapid strap but have attached a leash from the strap to the camera body as a safety line. I am also uber paranoid and don't rely on it!

If you use a BR strap be aware, use the lockstar and a leash too....

this is what a lens looks like after flying off of a moving jeep... 
5D MkIII & 100D

alben

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 02:51:29 PM »
Just received a BR7 tried it on my 5D3, yes it works fine but I had reservations. Glad I remembered this post! My main concern (and why I have responded to a oldish post ) is that there is no information in the box re the lockstar) It was in the box but I nearly ignored it, not knowing its` purpose. I will be fitting further fail safe straps as suggested by others here. One question for those who use Loctite on the threads, can you ever remove the thread if required ?

Alben

Old Sarge

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2014, 03:01:54 PM »
Just received a BR7 tried it on my 5D3, yes it works fine but I had reservations. Glad I remembered this post! My main concern (and why I have responded to a oldish post ) is that there is no information in the box re the lockstar) It was in the box but I nearly ignored it, not knowing its` purpose. I will be fitting further fail safe straps as suggested by others here. One question for those who use Loctite on the threads, can you ever remove the thread if required ?

Alben
It can be removed if you use "blue 242" (which is still in a red tube....I think it used to actually be in a blue tube in the old days).  The red 271 is permanent.  (Actually you can break the red loose, it just takes a lot of torque).
The Old Sarge

Arnoldvb

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 05:11:55 PM »
Sorry to hear about all these problems. Because of these , my photoshop advised a strap by Carry Speed.
This works fine; I love the comfort and the way it functions.

tolusina

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 07:00:09 PM »
Please people, before you spend on a tripod socket attached sling strap thingy of any sort, google "camera strap failure".

It took my mechanic's eyes about 10 seconds to see seriously objectionable flaws in the entire concept, for those of you not highly mechanically inclined and experienced, a brief google search might convince you.
40 on 6

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 07:22:02 PM »
Please people, before you spend on a tripod socket attached sling strap thingy of any sort, google "camera strap failure".

...a brief google search might convince you.

Egad!!  I just googled my car make/model and 'failure' and there were millions of hits.  Not that I've had any problems in the four years I've owned it, but millions of hits on google mean it's doomed to fail.  I'm off to set it on fire then push it off a cliff into the ocean because that brief google search convinced me it's obviously unreliable. 

::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 07:22:02 PM »

danski0224

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • Some of my Work in Progress
Some of my Work in Progress..... www.dftimages.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2014, 07:41:49 PM »
I haven't seen a issue, and mine does not loosen.  Even if it did loosen, it takes several complete turns of the threads to disconnect, and if it fell off "moments" after securing it, its hard to imagine it turning that many times.

I do check mine visually as well as making sure its tight, since a cross thread can tighten a screw with only a partial turn, and it will easily separate. 

The weakness in the system comes when users must repeatedly screw the attach point into their camera or lens base, and it just takes one cross thread when you feel it tighten to cause the issue.

It would be nice if everything were foolproof, but, as they say, fools are just too ingenious.  (Not talking about the OP).

adhocphotographer

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
    • An ad hoc photographer
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2014, 08:42:13 PM »
I think my case was a horrible bit of bad luck.... But I am still using my strap, which I think says a lot.

BR where fantastic and paid for the repairs on my gear.

"a monkey hitting keys at random on a typewriter keyboard for an infinite amount of time will almost surely type a given text, such as the complete works of William Shakespeare"

I would say that the problem I had is insignificant (statistically), although I do not have the figures...  :)

5D MkIII & 100D

Botts

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2014, 09:40:10 PM »
Conclusion : Those with BR buy a 'lockstar'. Those who do not use BR, bare this in mind before making your purchaser decision, and get a lockstar!

Holy smokes.  Didn't know the lockstar existed.  Why BR doesn't issue those as standard equipment is mind boggling.  For a 3-15 cent piece of plastic, not including it is borderline asinine.

My solution was to remove the connectR from my strap (cut off), and use a sturdy split ring on the left strap attachment on my 6D.  Instead of the connectR, I use a small locking carabiner to hook the split ring to the strap.  The clips to stop the connectR from sliding obviously no longer work, but I don't have the weakness of the connectR to worry about.

http://www.backcountry.com/metolius-bravo-key-lock-screw-lock-carabiner
6D, Sigma 35/1.4, 40STM, 50/1.4, 70-200/4 IS, 430ex II
T2i, 17-55/2.8 IS, 270ex

AtSea

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2014, 09:54:39 PM »
I live and die by my BR strap.  Have for 5+ years, mountains, weddings, street, travel, whatever. Love it!

The fact that they paid $750+ for repairs for this person is absolutely generous and above and beyond as far as I'm concerned.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2014, 10:04:16 PM »
Conclusion : Those with BR buy a 'lockstar'. Those who do not use BR, bare this in mind before making your purchaser decision, and get a lockstar!

Holy smokes.  Didn't know the lockstar existed.  Why BR doesn't issue those as standard equipment is mind boggling.  For a 3-15 cent piece of plastic, not including it is borderline asinine.

A piece of duct tape performs the same function reliably.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2014, 10:04:16 PM »

ifp

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Blog
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2014, 10:42:43 PM »
BlackRapid's willingness to pay for equipment repairs when failures do occur speaks a lot to the reliability of their system. If it was failing constantly, then they would quickly be out of business paying for repairs.

candc

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2014, 11:04:20 PM »
The new ones come with the plastic thing that goes over the caribiiner but I don't like it. I turn the connector so the threaded part is away from and not rubbing on your side otherwise it will loosen up if you are not mindfull of it. I regularly give it a twist to make sure it's tight.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2014, 11:04:20 PM »