October 31, 2014, 09:04:26 AM

Author Topic: Photographing Prom Couples In a Rose Garden  (Read 2086 times)

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
Re: Photographing Prom Couples In a Rose Garden
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 09:31:43 AM »
After this, I will be a "run around" photographer at their prom (class officers of 2015 "hired" me), in which I will be getting candids and all that nice stuff....
You'll want the Lightsphere for that part...and good luck with both parts of the shoot!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 09:31:43 AM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 10:34:07 AM »
After this, I will be a "run around" photographer at their prom (class officers of 2015 "hired" me), in which I will be getting candids and all that nice stuff....
You'll want the Lightsphere for that part...and good luck with both parts of the shoot!

I agree, the Lightsphere will work best indoors.  Another good diffuser that is lighter and less bulky is the Sto-Fen diffuser.  I typically make sure the little white card is pulled out of the flash before I mount the diffuser to direct more light forward.  Then I point my flash up at an angle to soften the light and get the light source up higher to minimize shadows behind the subject.  This is what flash brackets do, they get the flash up much higher to further minimize shadows.

I can't wait to see your pictures!  Good or bad, you will learn a LOT.  The question is, when do you want to learn?  Before (from practice) or after?

Keep in mind that the indoor prom pictures will require a much higher ISO than the garden pictures to look balanced with the ambient light.  Don't make the mistake of relying on the flash to light the entire venue resulting in what I call 'crime scene photos' where the only thing that you see is the subject with a dim/black background and overexposed faces.  You can get that result from any camera, phone or point and shoot.  Use your skill and equipment to capture more interesting pictures.  Again, practice.  Good indoor photography is also a challenge and requires practice.  Make sure you shoot RAW so you can fix light issues in post.  Trust me, you will!

When shooting the prom, take some shots of the overall event but make sure you mostly shoot people, couples, and shots with emotion, laughing, expressions, etc.  Think about what people will think when they look at the picture.  Will it be boring (shot after shot of the crowd or group shots with tiny faces) or will they laugh and comment on this or that because it is easy to see in the picture (person A laughing with person B) where their faces fill the frame?  You have to get close, you have to be bold and you have to get folks to relax.  Take at least two or three shots.  Make sure they didn't blink or have half closed eyes.  Make them look good.  Don't be afraid to say, 'You blinked!" and then ask to take another.

When shooting the prom and it gets pretty dark, you might end up using shutter priority to lock in the slowest shutter speed you can consistently hand hold and then take a lot of (high ISO, probably 3200) shots to hopefully get one that is in focus.  Low ambient light is tough!  Take plenty of shots and make some of them 'insurance shots' with flash, that you know came out ok even if they aren't super great and then take others that are more risky but have the potential to be great shots if you can manipulate them enough in post.  I have always found that the shots look spectacular on the LCD but once you see them on your large computer monitor, you see all the imperfections.  Noise, slight focus issues, blurs, etc.  This is why you take a LOT of shots.

Take plenty of batteries, esp for the flash.  Eneloop batteries work best and last a long time.  Alkalines don't.

Sorry for all the lengthy posts but I've been where you are and I really hope you have a successful time!  Please share some of your shots, both good and bad!  Share the experience and what worked and what didn't!  Good Luck!!
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

fatmanmedi

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 11:50:19 AM »
Here is my suggestion as to how you should approach the shoot.

Kit

i would recommend that you hire a second 6D, there is a chance, a small chance that a body will fail on you, it's happened to me (a nikon D4) and is not nice when it happens, so get another camera body, either the same one that you have or the next one up from the one you have.

A 70-200 f2.8 would be the good lens extra flexibility for the job but your Tamron lens is a good one at the 70mm point.

Reflector is a very useful tool to have, it will mean that you will need someone to help you but it will help in using the sun (if available) to help fill in the shadows, a 3 or 4' version would be best.

For the indoor shots at the prom, then the Lightsphere is a god send, it will give you great balanced light it also is a great talking point for the people to talk about while getting them in the mood to take shots.  I've done proms and have had problems getting people to pose for shots in the hall, the Lightsphere gets people to come up to you and ask what it is, and you tell them get them to pose you take a shot and the more often than not love it.

Memory cards, what ever you think you will need, double it then double it again, it may sound like overkill, but you don't want to be running out of memory cards when you are only half way though, the same goes for batteries, have more than you think you need.

I would also suggest a black t-shirt and trousers, it will help to blend in to the background at the dance, you might get the odd candid shot that way.

Prepration

Do take some shots at the place that you want to shoot from, but don't get too carried away the light and even the plants will change over time.

Final thoughts

The last thing that i would say is have fun and enjoy the experience.

Fats

thgmuffin

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 02:21:49 AM »
Thanks for all the tips guys!

I'm only a kid with an awesome passion in the wonderful world of photography! I apparently am "known" around my school for being a photographer as I provide pictures of a lot of events we have here. I will have a lot of fun shooting tomorrow and will possibly post some pictures! (Though I do not know if my friend's want to be posted onto the internet hehe)  8)

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 09:13:04 AM »

I'm only a kid with an awesome passion in the wonderful world of photography! I apparently am "known" around my school for being a photographer as I provide pictures of a lot of events we have here. I will have a lot of fun shooting tomorrow and will possibly post some pictures! (Though I do not know if my friend's want to be posted onto the internet hehe)  8)

How do you share your photos with your friends?  Do you use a photo site, social media site or other area where you have posted some of your shots?

Have a great time!!  :D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 09:48:16 AM by RustyTheGeek »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 09:39:38 AM »

thgmuffin, have fun and good luck with your shoot!

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 02:59:49 PM »
So how did this story end?  How did it go?  Any pictures to share??

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 02:59:49 PM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 07:17:36 AM »

mack and rusty....lot's of good advice!!   (rusty, do you think he should practice first or just wing it ;D)
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 09:26:01 AM »

mack and rusty....lot's of good advice!!   (rusty, do you think he should practice first or just wing it ;D)
LOL!  I'm not sure what Rusty wanted him to do, either, but it sounds like he thinks practice is overrated ;)

I'd like to know how it went, too, but as with some other posts like this, sometimes we hear back, sometimes not.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 09:48:30 AM »

LOL!  I'm not sure what Rusty wanted him to do, either, but it sounds like he thinks practice is overrated ;)

I'd like to know how it went, too, but as with some other posts like this, sometimes we hear back, sometimes not.

I feel sooo used !!   :'(   ;)

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 01:34:30 PM »

I can tell you that regardless of age, experience, talent or skill level, everyone gets nervous.  But that soon goes away when you get rolling if you are well prepared and you have a solid plan to follow.

Rusty.... a slight edit:

I can tell you that regardless of age, experience, talent or skill level, everyone gets nervous.  But that soon goes away after two or three shots of vodka!

;D ::)
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 02:25:11 PM »

I can tell you that regardless of age, experience, talent or skill level, everyone gets nervous.  But that soon goes away when you get rolling if you are well prepared and you have a solid plan to follow.

Rusty.... a slight edit:

I can tell you that regardless of age, experience, talent or skill level, everyone gets nervous.  But that soon goes away after two or three shots of vodka!

;D ::)

Or smooth whiskey!  Or not-so-smooth whiskey!   ;D

If you are a fan of the sitcom Big Bang Theory, then consider the episodes where Sheldon Cooper has ever touched alcohol.    Then picture a photographer at a shoot!   Bwaaa ha ha ha!!   :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 02:25:11 PM »