July 28, 2014, 11:32:56 AM

Author Topic: Photoshoot with 40 pancake, 50 Sigma and a brolly box  (Read 361 times)

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
Photoshoot with 40 pancake, 50 Sigma and a brolly box
« on: March 15, 2014, 11:30:22 PM »
I thought my friends here at CR might enjoy reading about my recent Photoshoot with 40 pancake, 50 Sigma and a brolly box. 

I took the time to include the lens and ISO data for each shot.  Hope you find that interesting!  As usual, I am using my beloved 5D3, the camera that makes every lens look good.  (According to me, anyway!)

Oh, I also used my favorite lens, the Canon 85mm f/1.8.  You may notice that when photographing people, I tend to use my prime lenses between f/2 and f/2.8, that seems to be the sweet spot for me.

I am becoming quite a fan of what our Brit friends call a Brolly Box.  Basically it means an umbrella with translucent white fabric over the open side with a small hole for the light source.  In my case an Alien Bee 400 is located in the hole.  This makes a really nice soft box that is very compact to transport and very easy to set up.  It is so efficient that I sometimes end up using ISO 50 in order to use a large aperture with my prime lenses.  (Light source: Alien Bees 400)

Perhaps the best thing is that they can be made very cheaply, so if yours gets damaged (hasn't happened to mine yet), you just reach for a fresh one.  I bought mine at the link below.  They are so cheap they are sold in pairs to make a worthwhile sale.

http://www.skaeser.com/servlet/the-607/photo%2Cvideo%2Clight%2Clights%2Clighting%2Cumbrella%2Csoftbox%2Creflective%2Creflector/Detail

So if you would like to read my blog post, just go here:

Fair warning... after the first few photos it is rated NSFW.

http://www.beyondboudoirphoto.com/blog/2014/3/boudoir-photography-in-a-century-old-portland-home   
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

canon rumors FORUM

Photoshoot with 40 pancake, 50 Sigma and a brolly box
« on: March 15, 2014, 11:30:22 PM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Re: Photoshoot with 40 pancake, 50 Sigma and a brolly box
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 01:42:29 PM »
Nice work.

I'm a little surprised by the deep DOF at f/2.8 on the 40mm in the first two images. I find so much detail in the texture of the wall behind her a bit distracting.

I can't remember using my 40 on the 5D3; it's been relegated to the T2i since I got the Sigma 35.

Thanks.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 03:36:33 PM »
Nice work.

I'm a little surprised by the deep DOF at f/2.8 on the 40mm in the first two images. I find so much detail in the texture of the wall behind her a bit distracting.

Thanks.

I see what you mean about the wall texture.  I placed the focus on the model's face and she is very close to the wall.  If I had been thinking about the wall texture I could have placed the focus a bit closer to the camera.  However, keeping a clear face while blurring the wall would be tricky with anything wider than about 85mm, I'd guess.  Another option would be to move the model away from the wall. :)

At the time, I thought it would be fun to have her feet blurred, and in the next photo I wanted to blur the cat.
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 03:36:33 PM »