September 02, 2014, 08:10:06 AM

Author Topic: We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras  (Read 21064 times)

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
Re: We Have More Internal Canon Service Information on Lenses & Cameras
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2014, 03:28:25 PM »
Whatever the information is, it can't be worse than the Nikon oil issue :D

Seriously though. Best way around it is if it appears somewhere else first. A bit like how CR often mentions stuff from Keith at Northlight.

Unless you are tied to Canon is some way I see no issue with this. Anyhoo, PDF up for an hour and it gets every  where. Send it to the guys at Photography on the Net if you want exposure.

If the 70-200 MkII is in there I WILL want to know about it as I've had 2 AF barrels die on me within warranty. On two separate lenses.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2014, 03:28:25 PM »

nebugeater

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2014, 03:30:52 PM »
Be carefull what you call desing flaws.  Maybe they are more along the line of improvment opertunities.  ANY product that is made can be improved upon.  Not seeing the documents it is hard to say how the issues are referanced but it would be easy to have a list of opertunities be looked at as flaws from the outside.  The site will do what it needs to do with this info but if it released without a 100% uderstanding of what it means the site will loose.     The companies I have worked for all have had internal documents on issues and opertunities to work on to make improvments and if they were out for public consumption it would not be good PR.  It is part of the process for inovation and improvement. 

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2014, 03:32:35 PM »
... I don't think these documents should be released, its a dangerous game and I don't think CR has the money or the power to fight a big corporation like Canon ... but be my guest and prove me wrong.
I'm with you - it is a risky endeavour to release NDA'd or internal documents.

Technically there should be a legal issue only for the person that sends/steals them. If you have no agreement with Canon, you're not a Canon employee, etc.. There should be no obligation for you to keep them secret. Unless Canon publicly disclaims their genuineness and sues you for diffamation.

jeffa4444

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2014, 03:34:28 PM »
I say it again, check your LEGAL position and one other point make sure your source is reliable and not a disgruntled employee.
Canon 6d, 7d & 550d with EF-S and EF-L glass

Stickman

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2014, 03:36:09 PM »
I'm sorry, but if it is dishonest of Canon not to advise people of the faults, it is even more dishonest of this site not to release the info.

I understand this site is here as a business, and to make money, but to play the game of "Should I tell you what I know" sounds like you are waiting for a payoff not to release the info.  Whether it is money, equipment, or a sudden better relationship with the company, it looks like you want a hand out. 

Regarding the legalities, if you had released the information and clearly stated you had been sent it and were passing it along WITHOUT verifying it as fact or not, and listed it as possible rumor, it would have been fine. 

To say I'm disappointed in this site is an understatement, and I would guess the person who sent the info is as well.   Canonrumors just lost a lot of credibility. 

nebugeater

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2014, 03:40:48 PM »
... I don't think these documents should be released, its a dangerous game and I don't think CR has the money or the power to fight a big corporation like Canon ... but be my guest and prove me wrong.
I'm with you - it is a risky endeavour to release NDA'd or internal documents.

Technically there should be a legal issue only for the person that sends/steals them. If you have no agreement with Canon, you're not a Canon employee, etc.. There should be no obligation for you to keep them secret. Unless Canon publicly disclaims their genuineness and sues you for diffamation.

Just because you are technically in the right doesn't mean that it will not take a lot of time and resourses to defend your postion.

vakfotograaf

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2014, 03:57:37 PM »
Please publish the info. We have a right to know if Canon wants to regarded as a decent and respectfull brand.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2014, 03:57:37 PM »

Legalese78

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2014, 03:59:57 PM »
I would greatly appreciate the release of these documents.  I've long suspected that the autofocus on my 1.2 85mm and 50mm were subpar (especially after having owned the 1.4), and would love to know if they are, in fact, even remotely defective.

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »
Strange that we suddenly have quite a few first time posters asking the documents to be published or claiming that they've had problems with their gear. :-\ :-X
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2014, 04:25:44 PM »
Yet another pasionate debate without the facts.... sigh!

That's debatable.   ;D

Lightmaster

« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2014, 04:29:52 PM »
Yet another pasionate debate without the facts.... sigh!

well logic dictates that when CR guy does not release the infos whe can only debate without facts.

so no need to state the obvious.
that´s why we ask for the information....

the genie is out of the bottle anyway.... and it seems CR guy is willing to share the info (see the "spring post"). that´s a good move!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 04:32:06 PM by Lightmaster »

TrabimanUK

• EOS M2
  • In the words of Brian Johnson - "Shoot to thrill!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2014, 04:35:40 PM »
It's worth raising the issues, as regardless of it being Canon hiding stuff or not, the public should have greater awareness of what they are getting themselves into.  Not quite in the league of Snowden, but should hopefully lead to I more open support from Canon.
Canon 5D, 60D, 40D, SX150-IR/UV, 50 f1.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS II, 70-300 f4-5.6 IS USM 
Sigma 10 F2.8 EX DC DIAGONAL FISHEYE HSM, 24-70 f2.8 IF EX DG HSM

aimage

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2014, 05:03:49 PM »
Having owned a solid amount of Canon kit over the last 20 years, I've had my share of dud's, the latest of which two Canon service centres (NZ and Oz) said nothing was wrong but with a constant soft zone (last was a 70-200 f2.8IS) one has to wonder what was actually going on. In the end a US service centre found a bunch of issues which could only have happened in the factory, (well outside of the warranty of course). I paid over $350 to have the factory issues fixed so this latest CR post makes me wonder exactly what Canons stance is re production issues.

I think Canon's customers have a right to know about post release product issues with what are essentially expensive business tools. Many people rely on this kit in business and I'd like to know in advance if there is something amiss with any potental future purchases. Personally I dont think Canon design/build quality is what it used to be or perhaps there planned product obsolescence program's aren't going to plan?

Please publish these documents so we all don't end up blindly paying for future production failures.
Canon 1DMk3, 5D Mk3, 15 f2.8, 16-35 f2.8L Mk2, 24-105 f4L, 50 f1.2L, 85 f1.2L, 70-200 f2.8L IS Mk2, 300 f2.8L IS Mk2, 500 f4 Mk2, 1.4x extender Mk3, 2x extender, 600EX-RT x2, ST-E3-RT x2, CP-E4 x2.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2014, 05:03:49 PM »

rebop

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2014, 05:14:35 PM »
I definitely vote for full disclosure. I have had issues and I JUST bought a 1D X feeling confident those issues were solved. A big expenditure if that is not true.

~Bob

shutterlag

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2014, 05:31:59 PM »
This right here is what I'd expect from Nikon support, and kills the last remaining strength Canon had for me as an enthusiast.

I've been on the fence ever since the X-T1 and the big Fuji lens rebates came out.  Those discounts expire tomorrow.  This issue made the decision much easier. 

The only regret I'll have is leaving behind the Sigma 35mm, and that's not even a Canon lens!  Maybe I'll give that lens a shot with an adapter on the T1. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2014, 05:31:59 PM »