October 25, 2014, 09:32:30 AM

Author Topic: Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM Noisy Focus Ring Issue Revealed  (Read 4772 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM Noisy Focus Ring Issue Revealed
« on: April 04, 2014, 03:54:46 PM »
If you have a noisy focus ring on your Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II, below is the reason why. The report is dated February 2014, so all lenses manufactured prior to August 2013 are are potentially affected. I’ve had first hand experience with this issue from our rental inventory. I have no idea if Canon will charge you for this repair if the lens is out of warranty. We haven’t bothered to fix our inventory, as a few lenses have exhibited the issue, but functionality doesn’t seem to be affected.

Repair Information It has been confirmed at the factory that when turning the focus ring, in rare cases, an abnormal noise can be heard. If units are brought in due to complaints of this nature, please replace the part with the new part.

Compatibility Old and new types are compatible.

Reason & remedy for a noisy focus ring on a Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II

Reason & remedy for a noisy focus ring on a Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II

Time of Change The new type has been incorporated into products from the August 2013 production.

When mounting the new SPRING, COIL (CB3-3809-010), there is no need to mount PLATE, SPRING HOLD. (There will not be problems even if the PLATE, SPRING HOLD is mounted.)

cr

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:58:07 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM Noisy Focus Ring Issue Revealed
« on: April 04, 2014, 03:54:46 PM »

bornshooter

• 5D Mark III
  • Love L series glass
    • View Profile
    • my flickr
Re: Canon EF 24-70 f/2.8L II USM Noisy Focus Ring Issue Revealed
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 04:05:24 PM »
On this it says the part will be deleted when stocks are depleted meaning they were continuing to use the part even after the discovered the issue.

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 04:15:48 PM »
Mine seems fine...so far :'(
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

Skywise

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 04:36:13 PM »
I just picked one of these up from the sale a few weeks back -  but I don't think I've heard any noise while focusing.  Can anyone describe it?  Is it like a grinding noise?

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 04:36:42 PM »
This is the kind of adjustment to internal parts and service advice all companies that care about their customers give out to their service departments as a continual ongoing practice.

Releasing it like this, with no context, or the numbers or percentage of affected units, as Canon know very well, will just cause hysteria amongst a vocal few, many of whom won't actually own the lens, panic amongst many that do but don't have the "issue", inundation of service centers who will not replace anything just because "it made a noise once", and a host of other entirely negative outcomes.

Doing this like this is not a positive thing to do by any measure or rational. You are in a unique position to cause or limit any backlash, releasing confidential documents like this needs to be done with the greatest care, a huge amount of back story and lots of context. I'd suggest getting the opinion of a very good and expensive internationally savvy corporation lawyer too.

I dearly hope this is not a page hits kind of deal.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 04:39:47 PM by privatebydesign »
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

R1-7D

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 04:37:18 PM »
Yup! I now have the ammo I need to insist Canon look at this issue after they had previously dismissed me.
Cameras: 1DX, Canon M. Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II,  Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon EF 2X III, Tokina SD 16-28mm f/2.8 FX, Canon M 18-55mm IS, Canon M 22mm. Flashes MT-24 580EXII

mtavel

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 04:38:19 PM »
Mine seems fine...so far :'(

This is one of those things... now people will start hearing noises out of their perfectly functioning lenses  :-\

[Editing to clarify]

It's a Catch 22 for Canon.  Release the information and you will get a lot of false positive reports of the issue.  Keep it private and people think you're hiding something.

Maybe the issue only happens when the spring rotates a certain way and there is a 5% chance the spring will be in just the wrong position, but unless the documentation explains these details in a way for non-lens engineers will understand it - it will cause more confusion that it helps.

But Canon definitely needs to treat it's customers better during warranty - especially considering how expensive the new series lenses are.  Telling people they are hearing things when there is internal knowledge of a potential issue is inexcusable.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 04:57:45 PM by mtavel »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 04:38:19 PM »

R1-7D

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 04:40:37 PM »
This is the kind of adjustment to internal parts and service advice all companies that care about their customers give out to their service departments as a continual ongoing practice.

Releasing it like this, with no context, or the numbers or percentage of affected units, as Canon know very well, will just cause hysteria amongst a vocal few, many of whom won't actually own the lens, panic amongst many that do but don't have the "issue", inundation of service centers who will not replace anything just because "it made a noise once", and a host of other entirely negative outcomes.

Doing this like this is not a positive thing to do by any measure or rational. You are in a unique position to cause or limit any backlash, releasing confidential documents like this needs to be done with the greatest care, a huge amount of back story and lots of context is needed to justify disclosure of this kind of information.

You have a rational point on this. However, as I stated in another thread, the lack of integrity Canon has shown its customers (me being one of them) makes me completely unsympathetic. Maybe if they were like Apple and went the extra step to help out and make sure the product becomes satisfactory, even with known issues that might not affect every unit, then I would support keeping this information confidential. However, Canon almost goes out of its way to insult its customers. I was personally told I was "hearing things"!
Cameras: 1DX, Canon M. Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II,  Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon EF 2X III, Tokina SD 16-28mm f/2.8 FX, Canon M 18-55mm IS, Canon M 22mm. Flashes MT-24 580EXII

R1-7D

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 04:42:10 PM »
My question is: now that they know the problem, do they also know if there is any long term effect or damage caused by the spring?

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 04:47:28 PM »

Doing this like this is not a positive thing to do by any measure or rational. You are in a unique position to cause or limit any backlash, releasing confidential documents like this needs to be done with the greatest care, a huge amount of back story and lots of context. I'd suggest getting the opinion of a very good and expensive internationally savvy corporation lawyer too.

I don't think it'll bring a spike in page hits and I understand your points.

My issue is the same as the person that sent me the documents, Canon charging for repairs on a defective design. I am trying to get proof that is actually happening and going over our repairs at Lens Rentals Canada and asking others if they have any data on the matter.

I have no problem with silent recalls and just putting "optical adjustment" on the receipt and charging someone $50 to cover shipping and any other incidental costs and being done with it. However, to charge someone $450 to repair something you know is faulty by design just doesn't seem right to me.
canonrumors.com

R1-7D

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 04:49:40 PM »

My issue is the same as the person that sent me the documents, Canon charging for repairs on a defective design. I am trying to get proof that is actually happening and going over our repairs at Lens Rentals Canada and asking others if they have any data on the matter.

I have no problem with silent recalls and just putting "optical adjustment" on the receipt and charging someone $50 to cover shipping and any other incidental costs and being done with it. However, to charge someone $450 to repair something you know is faulty by design just doesn't seem right to me.

Quite right, CR!

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 04:50:33 PM »

Doing this like this is not a positive thing to do by any measure or rational. You are in a unique position to cause or limit any backlash, releasing confidential documents like this needs to be done with the greatest care, a huge amount of back story and lots of context is needed to justify disclosure of this kind of information.

You have a rational point on this. However, as I stated in another thread, the lack of integrity Canon has shown its customers (me being one of them) makes me completely unsympathetic. Maybe if they were like Apple and went the extra step to help out and make sure the product becomes satisfactory, even with known issues that might not affect every unit, then I would support keeping this information confidential. However, Canon almost goes out of its way to insult its customers. I was personally told I was "hearing things"!

I have had far worse dealings with Apple than Canon, and I have had several "issues" with both.

Dealing with any corporations service arms can be an exercise in futility, I have been asked to send in example images with a lens only to have the unopened CD sent back. Getting to the bottom of issues, particularly intermittent issues, can be very frustrating for everybody, the service centers included. I have found Canon have an excellent hierarchy though, if you don't get what you need from one person you can keep going up, once you get above simple service managers any issues seem to be taken very seriously. I have also noticed a difference in satisfaction from people who use the different area service centers. Were I in your situation I would send it to a different service center.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »

I agree that the charging for mechanical failures is unjust and should not be practiced, even after official warranty periods have expired. If Canon are doing that they deserve to get a slap.

I wonder if contact via official routes couldn't be more persuasive? Certainly in the USA talk of class action suits, as has already been mentioned on the other post, is never taken lightly. But they do have huge chequebooks, so I'd tread very lightly. I don't think any of us want to be CR less!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 04:57:00 PM »

R1-7D

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 05:11:12 PM »

I have had far worse dealings with Apple than Canon, and I have had several "issues" with both.

Dealing with any corporations service arms can be an exercise in futility, I have been asked to send in example images with a lens only to have the unopened CD sent back. Getting to the bottom of issues, particularly intermittent issues, can be very frustrating for everybody, the service centers included. I have found Canon have an excellent hierarchy though, if you don't get what you need from one person you can keep going up, once you get above simple service managers any issues seem to be taken very seriously. I have also noticed a difference in satisfaction from people who use the different area service centers. Were I in your situation I would send it to a different service center.

Apple isn't perfect either, but in my experience they are still the best. As far as service centers go in Canada I am unaware if there is more than one main one. CPS told me to send my lens in but that chances were nothing would be done to it.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 06:31:23 PM »
Apple isn't perfect either, but in my experience they are still the best.

Yeah, don't we wish! Mind you, I almost exclusively use Apple computers and phones so I am not a PC fanboy, I've had far worse experience than you state.
Whenever I had an issue, and found out several users online complaining about it- I ask Apple and they said they have never heard of it. Of course, they will fix it (only because I have warranty coverage) but no public information is given out whatsoever.
Examples:
1. Volume button greyed out and becomes inoperable (required a logic board replacement).
2. Mouse cursor becomes stuck to Windows (required a system reset).
3. Early 2011 MBP GPU issues (required a logic board replacement).
Feel free to Google the above issues and you will find numerous posts, many on Apple's own user fora.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 06:31:23 PM »