September 19, 2014, 06:10:35 PM

Author Topic: Cheap decent softbox for a traveller  (Read 4213 times)

Cristiano

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Cheap decent softbox for a traveller
« on: April 08, 2014, 06:19:11 AM »
Hi,

As you can understand from the topic I am a traveller and I try to go around with less amount of stuff as possible, maybe 3 bags for clothes, camera and so on.

I have to go cheap because unfortunately I don't have a lot of money but I'm sure you can advice me a nice foldable softbox to bring with me.

I forgot to mention that I'm a portrait photographer and I mostly photograph models that are just staring out or trying to built up their portfolio.

Thank you!
Canon 6D

canon rumors FORUM

Cheap decent softbox for a traveller
« on: April 08, 2014, 06:19:11 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap decent softbox for a traveller
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 08:02:48 AM »
Can you clarify if you're looking for a small on-camera softbox or a larger, off-camera softbox?  The former is most useful for tight headshots, they need to be really close to deliver soft light.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Cristiano

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 08:34:06 AM »
Can you clarify if you're looking for a small on-camera softbox or a larger, off-camera softbox?  The former is most useful for tight headshots, they need to be really close to deliver soft light.

Hi neuroanatomist, preferably a larger off-camera softbox that I can fold into my backpack.
Canon 6D

Arctic Photo

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 09:06:41 AM »
I have Lastolite in a couple of sizes, both on and off camera. Not sure if they are too expensive, but I am happy with them. Easy to mount and seems durable also.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 10:53:47 AM »
I also have a few Lastolite softboxes (Ezyboxes and a Hot Rod Stripbox).  The Ezyboxes easy to set up (I guess that's why they're called that ;) ), but my 24" ones are pretty big when collapsed.  The 15" and 18" versions are more portable. 

The Lastolite products aren't what I'd call cheap.  But if you'll be using a softbox a lot and carrying it in a backpack, you'll probably want something pretty durable.  With a cheap softbox (Cowboy Studio, etc.), I'd worry about the stays getting bent, etc.

With an off-camera soft box, you'll also need to consider a way to mount it, such as a light stand, and some way to trigger it (preferably via radio – Canon's optical triggering isn't very reliable, since the optical signal is often blocked by the softbox itself).  A heavy-duty Gorillapod might work to support a smaller/lighter softbox attached to a chair of a pole.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 10:36:00 PM »
I have 2 for travelling.

I have the roundflash
http://roundflash.com/

and a phottix easy up umbrella softbox that packs nicely into a 80cm long manfrotto bag with a stand
http://www.phottix.com/en/studio-accessories/phottix-easy-up-60x90cm-umbrella-softbox.html

I take the roundflash everywhere i take a speedlight as it can be used off camera as well as on. it does suck power though so it struggles in full sun but even full sun with a 35 to 50mm lens and shooting quite close it works well. but is not powerfull enough for full body shots with these lenses in full sun.

the phottix is good because i have a tri flash bracket and can put 3 speedlights in it if i need more juice. but i dont take it as many places as i take the roundflash.

hope this helps
APS-H Fanboy

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 11:21:54 PM »
I have the Lastolite, but my new favourite travel modifier is the Rouge Large Flashbender, I have the front cover that converts it to a softbox but rarely use it. However the new XL Pro Kit looks very cool too.

http://www.expoimaging.com/product-overview.php?cat_id=13&keywords=_Rogue_FlashBenders

Rogue striplight demonstration

PW192 - Rogue Flashbender XL Pro
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 11:40:55 PM by privatebydesign »
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 11:21:54 PM »

RobertG.

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2014, 01:06:36 PM »
For off-camera flash I love the orbis ring flash. It produces a rather soft light, more similar to a softbox than to a traditional ring flash. It's not really cheap but pretty small and robust. It also fits various brands of flash guns.
5DII | TS-E 17 mm L | TS-E 24 mm II | EF 35mm f1.4 | TS-E 45mm | EF 50mm f1.4 |
Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 | EF 85mm f1.8 | TS-E 90mm f2.8 | EF 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 L

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 06:54:16 PM »
For off-camera flash I love the orbis ring flash. It produces a rather soft light, more similar to a softbox than to a traditional ring flash. It's not really cheap but pretty small and robust. It also fits various brands of flash guns.

i've got one of these too, the roundflash kills it and works as well off camera too
I wouldn't waste money on the orbis when the roundflash packs up smaller is less fragile and provides a bigger softer light.

as an aside I also bought the winglights ( http://winglightstore.com/ ) which are utter rubbish so don't consider those (build quality looks like a 5 year old's science project with components sourced from a dumpster) they produce the most ugly catchlights in the eyes you can imagine too and they are expensive.
APS-H Fanboy

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 05:09:10 AM »
I have the roundflash
http://roundflash.com/

I take the roundflash everywhere I take a speedlight as it can be used off camera as well as on. It does suck power though so it struggles in full sun but even full sun with a 35 to 50mm lens and shooting quite close it works well. But is not powerful enough for full body shots with these lenses in full sun.
WW, compared to an approx 70w/s speedlight, the Godox Witstro AD360 (300w/s) has the guts to really bring the Roundflash to life.
http://www.godox.com/EN/Products_Camera_Flash_Witstro_AD180&AD360_Powerfou&Portable_Flash.html
Also, as you have already got Phottix Odin, you'll get perfect, clean HSS all the way to 1/8000 sec with the Witstro/Odin combination. This is a golden era for flash, there's interesting new stuff coming out every few months (mostly out of China...)

-pw

wsmith96

• 7D
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 07:44:00 AM »
I recently got a large rouge flashbender with a diffusion panel.  It's very portable and works well.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 07:46:19 AM by wsmith96 »
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

wsheldon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • sheldon-photo
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 07:46:10 AM »
I like the Westcott Rapid Box 26" Octa Softbox (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/925397-REG/westcott_2031_rapid_box_octa.html). Folds up into a little carry case and it's very portable. I does need a decent stand or someone to hold it, though. Can also be used as a beauty dish if you buy their little metal reflector plate.

For on-camera use I have started using a 12" Wescott Pocketbox (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/844727-REG/Westcott_267_Pocketbox_Max_8.html). Extremely light and folds flat like a piece of paper. Pretty nice light for head/shoulder portraits and great as a table-top softbox for product shots.
Canon 6D & 50D, nice set of lenses

iMagic

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 01:42:36 PM »
lastolite micro apollo. Its offset so it doesnt interfere as much with the IR focus assist if using it on hotshoe. Not sure if the Westcott does this. Folds flat, easily put into a pocket of backpack or other carry case.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2014, 01:42:36 PM »

ishdakuteb

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2014, 01:55:57 PM »
first and foremost, these are not suitable for check-in luggage since it is umbrella type which is very easy to be broken and it must be used with care... great thing is that they are easy to setup.  second is the diffuser and reflector both not being able to be compared with those are really expensive since they are built with different materials.  however, they work to me since these are cheaper (i own three of these, two rectangle and one octa)

i am not sure if it is cheapest, but i think it probably is.  it is cheap, convenient with decent quality and it is called fotodiox ez pro softbox (the ez pro is an important keyword).  below are some of those links:

1. http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-10SBXMTB-V48OTEZ-Solutions-Speedring-Multiblitz/dp/B003EWVG2M/ref=sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398447450&sr=1-10&keywords=fotodiox+ez-pro+softbox

2. http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-10SBXHS3248EZ-Solutions-Softbox-Speedring/dp/B003EWPKUQ/ref=sr_1_14?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1398447513&sr=1-14&keywords=fotodiox+ez-pro+softbox

note:  you probably have to find a right side and right adapter to work with your flash, as if you do not use the one that they offer (i.e. paulcbuff lights.)

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 02:44:08 PM »
Hi,

As you can understand from the topic I am a traveller and I try to go around with less amount of stuff as possible, maybe 3 bags for clothes, camera and so on.

I have to go cheap because unfortunately I don't have a lot of money but I'm sure you can advice me a nice foldable softbox to bring with me.

I forgot to mention that I'm a portrait photographer and I mostly photograph models that are just staring out or trying to built up their portfolio.

Thank you!

Dear Friend, Mr. Cristiano
One portable soft box/ Flash modifier that with me all the time = Graslon 4100F , But not Cheap = 80-100 US Dollars, but I can use with flash on the camera or off camera flash. With out afraid of strong wind at the beach( Umfrella or big sift box) or  stick in some one's eyes but this great product give me a great soft light in every situation---dark area or bright sun shine.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=20419.0

Enjoy
surapon

Ps., Here are my Equipment for Wedding Job. Out of country job.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 04:39:52 PM by surapon »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2014, 02:44:08 PM »