August 21, 2014, 12:49:48 AM

Author Topic: How to tell when Eneloops are running dry in 600EXs?  (Read 520 times)

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
How to tell when Eneloops are running dry in 600EXs?
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:17:04 PM »
So I use 4 600EXs for all my lighting needs, powered by Sanyo eneloops.  In the past using 580s and 430s, I've used a full power flash dump and counted in seconds for the ready beep to determine roughly how juiced a set of batteries were - 2.5s meant fine, 3.5s-4s served as a reminder to change out a set for a fresh.

What I've been finding with the 600EXs is that even when the batteries are near death, the ready beep still engages after 2.5s-3s after a 1/1 test, only to discover it stops firing and dies just a few pops later mid session.

I doubled checked to ensure every test on each flash is not set to 1/32 but to 1/1 full power.  It's frustrating when you think everything is charged and a speedlite fails, and perhaps I've been foolishly relying on those ready beeps to gauge battery status.

Anyone else experiencing this? 
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

canon rumors FORUM

How to tell when Eneloops are running dry in 600EXs?
« on: April 17, 2014, 04:17:04 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: How to tell when Eneloops are running dry in 600EXs?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 10:05:07 PM »
I am using the same as you and I just go on the first missfire, though I find the ST-E3 kills its two AA's before the 600's kill their four.

The only reason I have had a missfire from the 600's (apart from with the Youngnuo YN-E3-RT) has been down to battery level, a change of battery has sorted it out.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Jim Saunders

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 10:37:59 PM »
I'd hazard a guess that a battery gauge is a feature Canon saves for the next generation of flashes.  I can't see why they couldn't relay the battery status to the master, maybe even just the lowest one in the group.  But then if my aunt something something something.

Jim
I'd probably do better to invest more time and less money.

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 10:52:11 PM »
I am using the same as you and I just go on the first missfire, though I find the ST-E3 kills its two AA's before the 600's kill their four.

The only reason I have had a missfire from the 600's (apart from with the Youngnuo YN-E3-RT) has been down to battery level, a change of battery has sorted it out.

I'm the complete opposite.  My ST-E3 lasts longer than my speedlites. 

You could be pushing your 600s harder than I am, as I tend to gang lights together for groups A and/or B.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

notapro

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
I am with Jim Saunders in thinking it would be useful if a low-battery status (especially that of whatever flash unit in a group would be going first) were relayed to the master display.

To decide when to do a battery change, I go by the second misfire.  With a first misfire, I find myself being (hopelessly) optimistic, attributing the misfire to something (anything) other than low batteries.  If I'm in error, the second misfire comes soon enough.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:50:23 PM by notapro »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »