August 21, 2014, 07:05:04 AM

Author Topic: Petition to Canon regarding the EOS 5D Mark III  (Read 2632 times)

jakdaniel1975

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Petition to Canon regarding the EOS 5D Mark III
« on: April 19, 2014, 10:31:36 PM »
https://www.change.org/it/petizioni/canon-inc-mr-masaya-maeda-improvements-for-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-spot-metering-to-af-point-multi-spot-metering-manual-exposure-compensation-with-auto-iso-other-features#

1 ) Spot meter linked to active af point for measure the subject's brightness;

2 ) Multi - Spot Metering in P/Tv/Av modes;

3 ) manual exposure compensation in manual mode with auto iso;

4 ) energy economy management of the flash. To be able to "auto-turn off" of the flash, when the subject is not illuminated;

5) Batch conversion on camera, for a massive workflow that change file format of many shots, for example from RAW to JPG S1, or from JPG L to S1. This could speed professional works because don't need a PC\MAC download and batch conversion.

canon rumors FORUM

Petition to Canon regarding the EOS 5D Mark III
« on: April 19, 2014, 10:31:36 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Petition to Canon regarding the EOS 5D Mark III
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 10:33:23 PM »
1-2-3 buy a 1D X.   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 12:11:21 AM »
1-2-3, sure, signed the petition.

But honestly, I'd rather Canon release a good 50 mm soon as possible  :'(

jakdaniel1975

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 06:56:25 AM »
1-2-3 buy a 1D X.   ::)

d800 and d600  no d4 or d4s  aves 1-2-3 !

1dx no silent shot !!

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:07:35 AM »
can you add make the rate button customisable to operate any other menu fuction ie enable disable AEB....
APS-H Fanboy

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 10:34:39 AM »
I saw this the other day and to be honest, my reaction was: "Those are the biggest concerns with the 5DIII?"

Makes me think it will be quite some time before a Mark IV debuts. Quite possibly well after a 6DII. Might even make the time between the 7D and 7DII seem short in comparison.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

MrDip

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 08:12:12 AM »
Illuminated focus points would also help a lot, the 1dx got that a long time ago(blinking i think).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 08:12:12 AM »

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 01:37:08 PM »
Canon seems unlikely to add these features as their MO has typically been to cripple product in order to protect their "pro" line and upsell consumers.  >:(
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

terminatahx

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Aubrey Williams photography
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 04:52:33 PM »
Canon seems unlikely to add these features as their MO has typically been to cripple product in order to protect their "pro" line and upsell consumers.  >:(

Wow, thank for letting me know how crippled my 5DmarkIII is.  I had no clue.
1Dx | EF24-70 f2.8LII | EF100 f2.8LIS | EF16-35 f2.8LII | TSE-17 f4L | EF8-15 f4L Fish | EF 50 f1.4 | EF85 f1.8 | EF14 f2.8LII

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 10:01:56 PM »
Have you tried using AI servo in low light?  Wouldn't it have been nice to have your AF point illuminated in red so you can actually see what your focussing on?  Without the illuminated AF points, AI servo would be crippled in low light for me.

There's no reason why this feature shouldn't trickle down to the 5D, or spot metering tied to AF points given the fact they share nearly identical AF systems.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 10:29:52 PM »
Have you tried using AI servo in low light?  Wouldn't it have been nice to have your AF point illuminated in red so you can actually see what your focussing on?  Without the illuminated AF points, AI servo would be crippled in low light for me.

There's no reason why this feature shouldn't trickle down to the 5D, or spot metering tied to AF points given the fact they share nearly identical AF systems.

You sound quite certain about that…I'm not so sure. 

For AF point illumination in AI Servo, as I understand the issue, the problem is that the the light which illuminates the AF points also affects metering.  In prior 1-series bodies, the illumination wasn't an issue, since the light was at a different angle to illuminate the AF points etched in the focus screen, compared to the points displayed on the transmissive LCD.   It's not a problem in One Shot, as metering is done once.  But in AI Servo, metering is done continuously, along with AF.  The solution for the 1D X required that the illumination blink on and off, but I also suspect it may involve altering the way the data is read from the metering sensor, so the data from the red channel are eiher ignored or given less weight.  That would be possible with the RGB metering sensor of the 1D X, the 5DIII doesn't have an RGB metering sensor. 

Regarding AF point-linked spot metering for the 5DIII, while the AF systems are nearly the same as you state, the metering systems are vastly different.  Here are the 61 AF points superimposed on the 5DIII's 63 zone iFCL metering grid:

The resolution of the 5DIII's metering sensor simply may not be high enough to support spot metering with the AF points, whereas the 100,000 pixel metering sensor of the 1D X can do so.  Even when the 1D X's metering sensor reverts to zone metering (in very dim light or for flash exposure metering), it's divided into 252 zones - 4 times the density of the 5DIII's metering sensor.

I can't say for sure that those tecnhical limitations are absolute, but you might consider the possibility that there are technical reasons for those features being available on the 1D X but not on the 5DIII.  After all, they did add f/8 AF to the 5DIII. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

3kramd5

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 10:57:18 PM »
Regarding AF point-linked spot metering for the 5DIII, while the AF systems are nearly the same as you state, the metering systems are vastly different.  Here are the 61 AF points superimposed on the 5DIII's 63 zone iFCL metering grid:

The resolution of the 5DIII's metering sensor simply may not be high enough to support spot metering with the AF points, whereas the 100,000 pixel metering sensor of the 1D X can do so.  Even when the 1D X's metering sensor reverts to zone metering (in very dim light or for flash exposure metering), it's divided into 252 zones - 4 times the density of the 5DIII's metering sensor.

I can't say for sure that those tecnhical limitations are absolute, but you might consider the possibility that there are technical reasons for those features being available on the 1D X but not on the 5DIII.  After all, they did add f/8 AF to the 5DIII.

How dare you suggest there is a fundamental reason that the 5D3 and 1Dx don't operate the same way? :P

Personally, I imagine that if the spot meter works at the center, one could use whichever of the 63 segments corresponds to the AF point in question. Given how large the AF sensors are relative to the total frame, in all likelihood each AF point falls on multiple segments with the 5D; and it's almost certainly the case with the 1Dx. I would guess that the 1Dx uses an average reading of all the appropriate segments rather than a single segment. Given the size of the spot meter indicator in the VF, I further guess that the center spot metering uses multiple readings.

The 5D3 could probably do the same thing, but it may negatively affect performance given the substantially lower processing power relative to the 1Dx.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 11:27:39 PM by 3kramd5 »
5D3, 5D2, 40D; Various lenses

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 11:25:36 PM »
1 and 3 have been small annoyances for me... but nothing that made me too angry.  I'd rather see dual pixel added and when hitting the rear button AF, the aperture doesn't open wide changing the way my video looks. But there's a chance I may simply not know which setting I need to adjust to fix that...
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 11:25:36 PM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 11:35:27 PM »
I hope I can upgrade my own firmware soon enough to utilize the existing features of the 5DIII!
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 03:53:04 PM »
I hope I can upgrade my own firmware soon enough to utilize the existing features of the 5DIII!

Yeah, I definitely need one of those personal firmware upgrades to access even half of the 5DIII features.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 03:53:04 PM »