October 01, 2014, 02:08:05 AM

Author Topic: Review: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens  (Read 26505 times)

fox40phil

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Review: Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 01:13:48 PM »
The AF problems are really bad =(.... I hate AF inconsistency at events... I own the old 50mm of Sigma, and sometimes it or my camera (5DII) produced faulty AF photos.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2014, 01:13:48 PM »

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2014, 01:21:20 PM »
I don't disagree with what you are saying at all, but I understand the conundrum as a reviewer.  These days it seems like most reviews are published before retail copies are technically available.  Waiting until the lens launches to the public means that you lose the early momentum/hits that are so important to building a brand and a website.

Thus the suggestion to test additional lens(es) purchased through normal retail channels, once they become available.

I do appreciate the quandary, but I'd argue that merely adds another potential source of bias (and please note the use of the word potential).  If delivering an early review to gain momentum/hits is that important (and I'm sure it is), what if the review is negative?  It seems possible that a negative review would result in the reviewer not getting an advance copy of the next lens from that manufacturer, and thus losing out on the momentum/hits for the next round.

The full text of the review indicates a 40% AF miss rate in formal testing, and includes statements like, "...the longer I focus tested this lens, the less sure I was about its focus accuracy," and, "Sometimes, most images are properly focused and when my shots counted, this lens delivered. But sometimes, more images are out of focus than I am comfortable with."  To me, that does not equate to, "...occasional AF inconsistency."  Which of those statements made it into the concluding paragraph of the review, which is the part most likely to be picked up and quoted, as it was in this post by CRguy?

Your points about the potential on a negative review are very solid.  It seems that most lenses these days are pretty decent, although I try to be equally transparent about what I perceive as weaknesses in them.  I've never had any issues with the people I deal with, but I'm also small potatoes. 
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2014, 01:38:13 PM »
Is there a lens out there that never has occasional AF inconsistency?

Does a 40% miss rate really constitute occasional inconsistency?  I think not...

Compare this to Zeiss missing 100% of AF shots  ;)

My thoughts exactly!  Hey, at under a grand, this lens offers most of the performance of the Zeiss, but it sucks because the AF is inconsistent while the Zeiss with no AF and 4x the cost is awesome?   :o

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2014, 01:44:04 PM »
Even the missed focus shots are sharper than the Canon f/1.4.  ;D

Not that I'm giving any merit to your statement. But even if I were, you should put into perspective that you are comparing it to a $300 lens that has been as low as $265 in the last year (not to mention the fact that it is a design from the last millenium).

Phenix205

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2014, 01:50:43 PM »

Does a 40% miss rate really constitute occasional inconsistency?  I think not...

My thoughts exactly!  Hey, at under a grand, this lens offers most of the performance of the Zeiss, but it sucks because the AF is inconsistent while the Zeiss with no AF and 4x the cost is awesome?   :o

As Bryan said, if you buy and use it as an MF lens, nothing beats its excellent value. Most people rely on AF in majority of shooting situations, and if it is indeed as bad as 40% missing rate, it's just a shame for such a high optical quality lens. Look forward to hearing from more on the AF consistency tests. 
5D3 | M | 1v
70-200 II | 24-70 II | 16-35 IS | 100 L | 85L II | 40 | 600EX-RT

Artifex

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2014, 02:02:30 PM »
"Interesting is that, according to the owner's manual, "You can [snip] adjust the amount of focus ring rotation to operate Full-time MF function." via the dock.".
I'm not sure I understand well this sentence (english is not my native language). Does this means that it would be possible to have, for instance, a 270° focus throw instead of 90° in manual focus? Help would be appreciated, thanks!  :)
6D, 550D; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, Zuiko 28mm f/3.5, Samyang 35mm f/1.4, Zuiko 50mm f/1.8, Sears 55mm f/1.4, Helios 44-2 58mm f/2, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm f/3.5, Kenko Extension Tubes.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 02:39:22 PM »
This is a real bummer, as I rate AF consistency as one of the most important aspects of this type of lens. I've found that for the most part, missing focus is far more destructive to resolution than a few hundred line widths per pixel height difference in MTF50. Of course, this new Sigma 50mm and the Zeiss Otus are exceptional in that they are clearly far superior at large apertures to the conventional double-gauss designs.

The situation might not be so bad except that my camera's focusing screen (5D3) is pretty useless at showing depth of field at large apertures, so it's easy not notice the fact that the focus is off; this also makes accurate manual focus almost impossible below f/2.8.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2014, 02:39:22 PM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2014, 02:45:17 PM »
The full text of the review indicates a 40% AF miss rate in formal testing, and includes statements like, "...the longer I focus tested this lens, the less sure I was about its focus accuracy," and, "Sometimes, most images are properly focused and when my shots counted, this lens delivered. But sometimes, more images are out of focus than I am comfortable with."  To me, that does not equate to, "...occasional AF inconsistency."  Which of those statements made it into the concluding paragraph of the review, which is the part most likely to be picked up and quoted, as it was in this post by CRguy?

+1.
The observations in the body of the review seem to have been toned down a lot in the summary.
AF inconsistency is a biggie. I will hope that it is correctable via firmware.

By the way, one advantage of reviewing pre-production or early production samples is that Sigma gets the opportunity to fix things before shipping out mass orders to the customers. Probably the only advantage IMO.

Let's hope for the best and keep fingers crossed.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 03:01:42 PM by sagittariansrock »
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2014, 02:55:14 PM »
"Interesting is that, according to the owner's manual, "You can [snip] adjust the amount of focus ring rotation to operate Full-time MF function." via the dock.".
I'm not sure I understand well this sentence (english is not my native language). Does this means that it would be possible to have, for instance, a 270° focus throw instead of 90° in manual focus? Help would be appreciated, thanks!  :)

Ok, I think I get it now.
Here's what it says in the manual: "It is possible to adjust the timing to operate Full-time MF function." And it provides the following image.
I think it means you can change the amount by which the focusing ring has to be turned to trigger the MF override. So, let's say your fingers accidentally touch the focusing ring, that will not change the focus.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 02:59:41 PM by sagittariansrock »
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

Maximilian

• Canon 70D
  • The dark side - I've been there
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2014, 02:59:06 PM »
Allthough I was and still am interested in buying a decent - or lets call it high value for money - 50 mm lens right now I must say, I am lucky not beeing in any hurry. Because this review made me patient.

first:
Of those 10 shots, 4 are sufficiently OOF as to be unusable (3, 4, 6, 10).  A 60% hit rate with a static subject and a tripod-mounted camera, particularly one with an excellent AF system, does not inspire confidence. 
This was, what I was most afraid of: AF-issues with this 3rd party lens. So let's see, what comes with retail product tests.

second:
Also, this is a departure from the norm for Bryan's lens tests (and one, frankly, with which I'm not too pleased):
Quote from: Bryan @ TDP
My evaluation lens was a short term loan from Sigma, as they offered the production-grade lens before it was commercially available.
Any time a manufacturer supplies a product to a well-known reviewer, a big unanswered question is whether the provided copy is truly representative of units purchased retail.  ...
neuroanatomist explained it very well, what might be the difference between selected test lenses and retail products.
But also a really big "plus" to Bryan Carnathan that he was telling this important fact so plainly.

So I am again lucky not beeing in any hurry and maybe see if ther is and what might be the answer comming from Canon.
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2014, 03:22:33 PM »
But according to a very lengthy thread about the 35 Art I was specifically told there are no AF issues with the GV Sigmas  ::)

First off I don't think it's as simple as, oh I'll wait two weeks for Sigma to fix the AF with a firmware, they have already tested it on the 5d3 and 1dx extensively, I guarantee that, and as it is now, it's the best they can do with the option they have, reverse engineering. It's of course very sad and to a lot of people, me included, it's the biggest deal breaker of them all.

And if you buy an MF lens you know you have to turn the ring in order for focus to be achieved, but seeing time and time again your AF lens not delivering is the worst thing I can imagine (in photography).
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2014, 03:29:11 PM »

This comparison is as pointless as comparing a Audi with (automatic) transmission problems to a stick-shift Ferrari.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 03:31:06 PM »

This comparison is as pointless as comparing a Audi with (automatic) transmission problems to a stick-shift Ferrari.

I don't think Audi makes cars that 'occasionally' mis-shift, causing the car to lurch and hot coffee to spill all over the driver.  Just sayin'…   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2014, 03:31:06 PM »

thepancakeman

• 6D
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2014, 03:48:13 PM »

Only if the Audi has comparable performance to the Ferrari and works fine in manual mode.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »

Only if the Audi has comparable performance to the Ferrari and works fine in manual mode.
I think the Zeiss is actually closest to a Tesla single-speed, high-torque transmission, but powered by human electricity :).  The Sigma would be like a new driver missing the occasional shift :-[.  And the 50L, like a sweet dual-clutch automatic 8).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »