July 22, 2014, 04:01:35 PM

Author Topic: Backup for 6D for Wedding Photography  (Read 5291 times)

bvphotography

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Backup for 6D for Wedding Photography
« on: April 27, 2014, 07:54:31 PM »
Hey everyone,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post here. Up until this year I have mainly shot family portrait sessions but this year I decided I wanted to start second shooting weddings. I shot one a week or so back and had a blast and I have quite a few more scheduled now for this year for that photographer. I want to purchase a backup body for my 6D but I am unsure of what to purchase. Any advice appreciated :

canon rumors FORUM

Backup for 6D for Wedding Photography
« on: April 27, 2014, 07:54:31 PM »

bdunbar79

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Backup for 6D for Wedding Photography
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 07:57:48 PM »
The best backup body is the same body.
2 x 1DX
Big Ten, GLIAC, NCAC

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 07:58:13 PM »
Another 6D, if at all possible.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bvphotography

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 08:00:10 PM »
Another 6D is a bit out of my current price range otherwise I would have bought another one forsure.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 08:26:31 PM »
In that case, what is your budget??

;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bvphotography

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 08:30:59 PM »
Would like to stay under 1k if I can but could prob go to about 1.2k. I don't mind buying used.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »
Wait until you have earned enough off the second shooter gig to get another 6D, don't get anything "less" in the mean time, it will be wasted money. Though if it is going well I'd suggest get a 5D MkIII next, but not until the photography has paid for it.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 08:32:50 PM »

bvphotography

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 08:36:53 PM »
Not having a backup camera is just a bit worrisome for me is all. I certainly would like to buy another 6D as I do love the camera.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 09:07:45 PM »
Not having a backup camera is just a bit worrisome for me is all. I certainly would like to buy another 6D as I do love the camera.

You are a second shooter, not the primary, I have never expected or demanded a second have two cameras, indeed when I shot many more weddings I always had three bodies on hand so I could give the second a spare if they needed it, that is what primaries do, they get lots more money to worry about that stuff.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 09:24:31 PM »
You are the second shooter... you are the second shooter for a particular photographer.... Talk to the primary photographer.... odds are insanely high ( a certainty) that they have a backup body that they carry around on the job and the odds are very high that they have a third or a fourth body of some sort that they don't use any more and just hangs around the shop... they would probably let you use this as a backup to your camera while on the job.... so go talk to the primary shooter!
The best camera is the one in your hands

bvphotography

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 09:32:53 PM »
The primary shooter has said that if something were to happen to my camera that I could use a backup camera of hers. The problem is I shoot Canon and she shoots Nikon so it would be a very different camera to get used to as well as having to use her lenses as well. Better than nothing I suppose and better than rushing a purchase I will regret. Leads me to another question then. Should I spend once I have enough for another 6D or keep saving and buy a 5DM3 since I am hoping to eventually first shoot my own weddings?

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 10:01:43 PM »
The primary shooter has said that if something were to happen to my camera that I could use a backup camera of hers. The problem is I shoot Canon and she shoots Nikon so it would be a very different camera to get used to as well as having to use her lenses as well. Better than nothing I suppose and better than rushing a purchase I will regret. Leads me to another question then. Should I spend once I have enough for another 6D or keep saving and buy a 5DM3 since I am hoping to eventually first shoot my own weddings?

You know my answer already, save for the 5D MkIII, it has to be the "best" wedding orientated camera out there.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 01:54:23 AM »
Should I spend once I have enough for another 6D or keep saving and buy a 5DM3 since I am hoping to eventually first shoot my own weddings?

The 5d3 has dual cf/sd card slots for on-site backup in case your card breaks. Other than that, how do you feel your 6d does for weddings concerning the af system (what lenses are you using)?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 01:54:23 AM »

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 06:59:09 AM »
+ 1 on no need for a back up camera when shooting as a second, especially when you are using a new, good quality camera such as the 6D. These (generic) machines are incredibly reliable, being designed to reliably record one off, unrepeatable events.

However as a primary photographer at such an unrepeatable event I always have a back up of everything because of Sod's Law.

For a proper back up you really need exactly the same body, as has been said, so you can share the work load and lenses seamlessly between them.

As for the 6D vs 5D III debate, well ........ :-X

Hannes

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 07:28:45 AM »
If you have to have one now, I'd say get a 60D off the used market and sell it again when you get enough money to get another 6D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 07:28:45 AM »