December 20, 2014, 08:58:59 AM

Author Topic: Before you buy your next prime...  (Read 11902 times)

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
Re: Before you buy your next prime...
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 12:21:15 PM »
I should start a thread on how to purchase equipment and sneak it into the house without your wife knowing  ;)
That's what I'll be doing today - sneaking, not writing a thread, that is 8).

1) Always own up to buying one white lens. Once you've got one, they all look alike, so that gives you the freedom to own more.

2) When ordering from the Canon refurbished store, track the package progress and then change the delivery address to the nearest Kinkos/Fed Ex site. That way you can go and pick it up yourself without having to rush home to snag the attempted delivery notice tag off the door before someone finds it.

3) Separate checking accounts have prevented more divorces than any other innovation known to mankind.

4) You will never be able to sneak every purchase in, so build up some immunity. Do that by never, ever criticizing or questioning her when a box arrives from an online clothing, purse or shoe store. Smile. Complement her on her good taste and make a point of being pleased that she bought herself something nice. You are earning credits that you can cash in later.

5) Always include some low cost item in your purchases from B&H and Adorama – "Oh yeah, I ordered some batteries...a filter...a camera strap...etc. I don't know why they send that stuff in such a big box."

6) If you've got a big purchase planned, start the process early on. I'm going to start mentioning the new Tamron 150-600 zoom soon so that by the time Black Friday rolls around she'll be ready to tell me to just get it.

7) Never miss an occasion for a gift. A piece of jewelry tucked into an Easter Basket is also a great way to buy immunity for the future.

8 ) Ask for gift cards from your preferred photo store. "Oh that. I ordered that with the gift card you gave me last Christmas." (plus an extra $800, but who's counting)

9) Get yourself a "man cave" where you can stash all your toys. Preferably in a room she seldom goes into.

I have more, but these should be a good start. :)

pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2014, 12:21:15 PM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2014, 12:46:51 PM »
I should start a thread on how to purchase equipment and sneak it into the house without your wife knowing  ;)
That's what I'll be doing today - sneaking, not writing a thread, that is 8).

1) Always own up to buying one white lens. Once you've got one, they all look alike, so that gives you the freedom to own more.

2) When ordering from the Canon refurbished store, track the package progress and then change the delivery address to the nearest Kinkos/Fed Ex site. That way you can go and pick it up yourself without having to rush home to snag the attempted delivery notice tag off the door before someone finds it.

3) Separate checking accounts have prevented more divorces than any other innovation known to mankind.

4) You will never be able to sneak every purchase in, so build up some immunity. Do that by never, ever criticizing or questioning her when a box arrives from an online clothing, purse or shoe store. Smile. Complement her on her good taste and make a point of being pleased that she bought herself something nice. You are earning credits that you can cash in later.

5) Always include some low cost item in your purchases from B&H and Adorama – "Oh yeah, I ordered some batteries...a filter...a camera strap...etc. I don't know why they send that stuff in such a big box."

6) If you've got a big purchase planned, start the process early on. I'm going to start mentioning the new Tamron 150-600 zoom soon so that by the time Black Friday rolls around she'll be ready to tell me to just get it.

7) Never miss an occasion for a gift. A piece of jewelry tucked into an Easter Basket is also a great way to buy immunity for the future.

8 ) Ask for gift cards from your preferred photo store. "Oh that. I ordered that with the gift card you gave me last Christmas." (plus an extra $800, but who's counting)

9) Get yourself a "man cave" where you can stash all your toys. Preferably in a room she seldom goes into.

Let's see - I have a TS-E 17 waiting for me at FedEx Store right now, re-directed from home delivery, of course.  I have multiple white lenses, so that's easy - and won't use the 17 around her (not really a portrait lens), so easy there, too.  Separate checking accounts. Check. My AMEX with a extra card for her, check.  Lots of old Amazon & B&H boxes in the garage come in handy for eBay, ahem, in case she's home before you can slip it into the house. 

Also, the handy "man multiplier" works - i.e. how many women before me - 3.  How much did that new lens cost, $300 ;)

I wonder if MrsFotografie and NancyP use similar tactics to get around their husbands ;D
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:52:42 PM by mackguyver »

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2014, 12:49:39 PM »
I agree, this is good advice.

A lot of people buy lenses as a "collection," "trinity" etc.

The reality is, if you "collect" every lens you will have spent way too much money on lenses that are too similar.

So, it is important to evaluate what you like, and how a lens will enhance your creative ability in a way your current lenses do not.  That is not to say that you have to buy just a 50mm f/1.8 ii and call it a day, but buying lenses just for the sake of buying them is going to be a very expensive hobby.

My 'strategy': Wide angle primes in UWA to 50mm (equivalent) and a few tele-zooms. Oh and a 'slow' zoom in the normal range. No 'portrait' primes for me. This formula applies to both my EF and E mount systems.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:03:25 PM by mrsfotografie »
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2014, 12:53:27 PM »

The reality is, if you "collect" every lens you will have spent way too much money on lenses that are too similar.

So, it is important to evaluate what you like, and how a lens will enhance your creative ability in a way your current lenses do not.  That is not to say that you have to buy just a 50mm f/1.8 ii and call it a day, but buying lenses just for the sake of buying them is going to be a very expensive hobby.

My 'strategy': Wide angle primes in UWA to 50mm (equivalent) and a few tele-zooms. Oh and a 'slow' zoom in the normal range. No 'portrait' primes for me. This formula applies to both my EF and E mount systems.
No comment on my post above?  :)

dcm

• Canon 70D
  • 6D, M
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2014, 12:57:23 PM »

No comment on my post above?  :)

I believe he (mrsfotografie) has addressed this before - http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18881.msg353096#msg353096
6Ds, M, zooms and primes

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2014, 01:02:39 PM »
I believe he (mrsfotografie) has addressed this before - http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18881.msg353096#msg353096
Yikes!!!  My mistake.  So unless I'm wrong (again!) NancyP may be the only female member who frequents our forum.  Surely there are more women interested in our crazy hobby and love of all things Canon? 

P.S. Also, my initials are IRA - the name of an old man, Individual Retirement Account, and the Irish Republican Army...
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:06:44 PM by mackguyver »

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 01:30:51 PM »
I started like most... shooting with the 18-55 & a 75-300.  I liked the tele zooms range and blur, but it was so terribly soft.  I got a 50 f1.8 mkii and I feel in love with bokeh and shallow depth of fields, all be it poor in comparison.

But knowing what I liked made a huge difference in buying what I needed.  I will probably never own a 17-40 or 16-35 for personal use... but if I shoot real estate, I suppose I'll have to get one.  And that is just fine with me. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2014, 01:30:51 PM »

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2014, 01:33:35 PM »
Yikes!!!  My mistake.  So unless I'm wrong (again!) NancyP may be the only female member who frequents our forum.  Surely there are more women interested in our crazy hobby and love of all things Canon? 

No problem. Hopefully my newly updated avatar helps avoid further confusion :D

For the record: I had some Canon related figures in there, ie 25 years EOS, founding year 1987 and founding date of the company.

It now is: 38 (my age), 1976 (my year of birth), and 03.1987, the date the first EOS camera was launched.

I wonder if MrsFotografie and NancyP use similar tactics to get around their husbands ;D

Sorry, missed this on the first time round. Luckily my girlfriend is very understanding and even manages to get her parents to buy me camera gear for my birthday!!! 8)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:35:21 PM by mrsfotografie »
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2014, 01:33:53 PM »
That's what I'll be doing today - sneaking, not writing a thread, that is 8) .

:D :D :D :D
Thanks, that gave me a real good laugh. Man, you've got some experience here... ::)
5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-105L  |  24-70 VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L  |  1.4x III

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2014, 01:39:46 PM »
Folks,

Before you buy you next prime lens, take a deep breath and watch this video. I've been lurking on this site for a while now and I must confess, I've been sucked into the lens acquiring vortex. I don't have a lot of lenses now, and I am not a pro, but I am at a point in my life where I can actually start to afford these toys. The discussion around here is generally geared towards and around specific lenses and their attributes but somehow or the other, I have managed to miss or avoid posts about a lens acquisition strategy. I stumbled across this video this morning and got some clarity. Please forgive me if it has been previously posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjhdL3ggjYU

Comparing and choosing lenses just by their focal length is simplistic to the point of being almost stupid.

The Sigma 35A and the Ultron 40mm f/2 have very similar FL but they're as different as it gets in size, weight, AF, color rendition, sharpness, micro-contrast, etc.

One could even have a 50L and Zeiss 50mm f/2 MP and still find use for both.

A much smarter approach would have been "what would you like your next lens to do better/differently?".

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2014, 01:40:34 PM »
That's what I'll be doing today - sneaking, not writing a thread, that is 8) .

:D :D :D :D
Thanks, that gave me a real good laugh. Man, you've got some experience here... ::)

+1, ROFL  ;D ;D ;D

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2014, 01:45:34 PM »
That is a little slice of manipulative genius.  My hat goes off to you.

Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L-> 85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm -> 85mm f/1.2L mkii

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2014, 01:46:22 PM »
Folks,

Before you buy you next prime lens, take a deep breath and watch this video. I've been lurking on this site for a while now and I must confess, I've been sucked into the lens acquiring vortex. I don't have a lot of lenses now, and I am not a pro, but I am at a point in my life where I can actually start to afford these toys. The discussion around here is generally geared towards and around specific lenses and their attributes but somehow or the other, I have managed to miss or avoid posts about a lens acquisition strategy. I stumbled across this video this morning and got some clarity. Please forgive me if it has been previously posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjhdL3ggjYU

Comparing and choosing lenses just by their focal length is simplistic to the point of being almost stupid.

The Sigma 35A and the Ultron 40mm f/2 have very similar FL but they're as different as it gets in size, weight, AF, color rendition, sharpness, micro-contrast, etc.

One could even have a 50L and Zeiss 50mm f/2 MP and still find use for both.

A much smarter approach would have been "what would you like your next lens to do better/differently?".

That's right, each lens has its own character or use so sometimes that's a reason to double up. That said, I sold the 40mm Ultron because 40 mm to me is an 'uneasy' focal length. The 35A replaced my 24-70L, but I also have a 35mm f/2 for travel. Go figure.  I own two 50mm's in EF mount that have a very different character, the artful Sigma 50mm EX and the 50mm 1.8 MkI that surprises me with stunning (sharp!!!) results every time. I even have overlapping zooms - the 30-700L is for travel and general flexibility, the 100-400 is there for reach when I need it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2014, 01:46:22 PM »

YuengLinger

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 01:53:33 PM »
The OP is like a guy walking into a bar and telling the customers about the evils of alcohol.  Or a reformed crackhead walking into a crack den urging everybody to put down their pipes.

Heck, there is a reason Alcoholics Anonymous has a "no evangelizing" policy--it doesn't work.

Maybe CR could set up a section for Gear Junkies Anonymous?  Maybe Canon and Nikon should be required by law to fund support groups--the way casinos fund compulsive gambling awareness campaigns...

When the heck is B&H going to ship my new Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art, for crying out loud?  I can't freakin' stand it!  I'm getting hives.  I'm shaking way beyond what my IS can handle.  I'm sweating.  Oh, the humanity.  Help me!

Oh, and "folks," before you tell strangers on the Web how to spend their money, take a deep breath and go out and take some pictures.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 02:06:13 PM »
... And I bought my wife a new laptop this week, so if she catches me, I'm okay.  I'm guessing she tracked your big whites, though, I know my wife sure did!

That's a good strategy! I did that with an iPad last year ;)

What preserves my marital harmony is restricting gear purchases to extra money I make from consulting, workshops and photo gigs (my part time business stuff). Separate cards and bank account = no arguments.

That said, I'm really starting to question myself on any new gear purchases. I feel I hit the plateau on quality per dollars spent a while back and I really need to stop worrying about gear limitations and shoot at every opportunity. Spending money on travel and workshops (experiences) makes more sense to me at this point than more/better gear. GAS is a hard habit to break, though!

Seems to me that ditching the wives would be the cheapest option of all….err…well maybe the cheapest would be just NOT getting married in the first place.

At best, I only live with them from time to time, kinda of like leasing with an option to buy.
I can buy and do what I want…and I don't have to sign over half my belongings when I decide to trade up to a newer model of girlfriend.

;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 02:06:13 PM »