July 28, 2014, 04:41:29 AM

Author Topic: 1D X and Manfrotto MVH502AH  (Read 635 times)

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
1D X and Manfrotto MVH502AH
« on: May 03, 2014, 08:49:28 PM »
When I shoot video with my 1D X I sit it on a Manfrotto MVH502AH - a head which I love. As this head is designed more for video cameras, rather than DSLR, if I put the plate on the body it means I cannot properly tighten the plate into the head. It does tighten, and there is little risk to the camera, but the knob for doing so hits the base of the camera which means you cannot tighten it as much as you might like. If I put the plate on the tripod foot (I normally shoot video - especially interviews - with my 70-200 f/2.8 ii) I eliminate this problem.

However, many people including a "video expert" at Cathay in Singapore, have said I should not put the plate on the tripod foot as it creates tension where camera and lens meet.

What are your thoughts on this? Surely if the camera just sits still and does not move at all (interviews) then there should not be any tension other than gravity (which would be like a monopod), and if I do need to shoot video where I move the camera (panning or whatever) then would it be better to sit the camera body on the head rather than the tripod?

Am not sure if any of that makes any sense (still not finished the first coffee of the morning!) but your thoughts and comments are greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 01:36:21 AM by expatinasia »
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

canon rumors FORUM

1D X and Manfrotto MVH502AH
« on: May 03, 2014, 08:49:28 PM »

dgatwood

• 6D
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X and Manfrotto MVH502AH
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 08:35:20 PM »
However, many people including a "video expert" at Cathay in Singapore, have said I should not put the plate on the tripod foot as it creates tension where camera and lens meet.

I think your "experts" are precisely the opposite of experts.

The whole purpose of a tripod collar on the lens is to serve as an attachment point for a tripod.  They're typically used for lenses that are heavier than the camera, which means that by supporting the lens instead of the camera, you're reducing the stress on the lens mount, not increasing it.

Also, using the tripod collar gives you a more balanced setup than you would get if you were using the body threads.  This makes the entire setup much more controllable, particularly when tilting.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 09:00:20 PM »
Thanks, dgatwood. That is what I thought.

So you think I should attach the plate to the tripod foot and sit that on the video head - even when panning and such?

Sitting the tripod foot on the head means I can tighten the plate more firmly into the head which gives me extra peace of mind.

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:38:04 AM »
Do what makes the most sense here - use the tripod collar.  No idea why on earth someone would tell you otherwise.

I use the exact same setup as you and it works great.  In fact, without using the collar, the whole rig is pretty unbalanced.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

dgatwood

• 6D
  • 300D, 400D, 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 03:13:57 AM »
So you think I should attach the plate to the tripod foot and sit that on the video head - even when panning and such?

Definitely.  Just make sure the collar is reasonably snug, since you probably won't be holding the camera when you pan and tilt.

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 07:43:19 AM »
Thanks BL and dgatwood. What you both said makes perfect sense to me. Appreciate it. Cheers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 07:43:19 AM »