October 20, 2014, 12:55:23 AM

Author Topic: Wedding Photographers - Do You Mess with Albums?  (Read 1200 times)

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
Wedding Photographers - Do You Mess with Albums?
« on: May 07, 2014, 04:39:06 PM »
Hello everyone. I have a quick question for other wedding photographers.  I have done custom albums for several years.  Nice, leather bound, padded, etc...  I have a nice wide format printer and can produce really stunning prints because I control the whole workflow, so the albums look fab, but....

I find producing albums time consuming and because the albums themselves are expensive, the small margin makes it seem like it isn't hardly worth my time. 

How are the rest of you handling albums these days? Any tips?
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

canon rumors FORUM

Wedding Photographers - Do You Mess with Albums?
« on: May 07, 2014, 04:39:06 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
Re: Wedding Photographers - Do You Mess with Albums?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 10:06:35 PM »
I'll comment partly from my own consumer experience and partly from my photographer POV...

-  In '95 we had a great husband+wife pro photography team do our wedding and they rocked!  And we have a nice hard page album that is a soft leather-like bound album.  It's great.  So I think the album is important and desirable if it's done well.

-  A lot of Brides are impressed by little details.

-  Today, it seems like it is so easy (and cost effective) to have a great album produced by a good service company that I can't imagine investing the amount of work that is required to build one from scratch from a photo printer.  My bigger concern is...

-  YOU are on the hook for supporting/fixing the album if anything goes wrong down the line, a picture fades, the binding fails, something comes apart, etc.

-  The recipient won't appreciate the work or the quality compared to an album that was outsourced.  Even worse, they think that a friend's outsourced album is better.

Dustin, I really like you, your work and your dedication to photography.  It is truly your passion.  While I'm not a professional, I have a hard time seeing the payback for you in doing albums yourself from scratch.  But it's your baby and only you can determine if an outsourced album will measure up.  The only way to know is to get some outsourced album samples done up with your photos and compare them to yours and see what you (and your clients) can live with.

Good luck!!  Please let us know what you decide and what albums you think are best.   :)
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 10:12:15 AM »
I'll comment partly from my own consumer experience and partly from my photographer POV...

-  In '95 we had a great husband+wife pro photography team do our wedding and they rocked!  And we have a nice hard page album that is a soft leather-like bound album.  It's great.  So I think the album is important and desirable if it's done well.

-  A lot of Brides are impressed by little details.

-  Today, it seems like it is so easy (and cost effective) to have a great album produced by a good service company that I can't imagine investing the amount of work that is required to build one from scratch from a photo printer.  My bigger concern is...

-  YOU are on the hook for supporting/fixing the album if anything goes wrong down the line, a picture fades, the binding fails, something comes apart, etc.

-  The recipient won't appreciate the work or the quality compared to an album that was outsourced.  Even worse, they think that a friend's outsourced album is better.

Dustin, I really like you, your work and your dedication to photography.  It is truly your passion.  While I'm not a professional, I have a hard time seeing the payback for you in doing albums yourself from scratch.  But it's your baby and only you can determine if an outsourced album will measure up.  The only way to know is to get some outsourced album samples done up with your photos and compare them to yours and see what you (and your clients) can live with.

Good luck!!  Please let us know what you decide and what albums you think are best.   :)

Thank you for the feedback.  I really do find it a difficult decision, partly because the range of outsourcing for albums is more limited here in Canada as opposed to the US.

I intentionally don't shoot a lot of weddings.  They are time consuming and photography isn't my primary responsibility.  I don't try to get wedding gigs, but do about 3-4 per year on request, and often for people that mean something to me.  Your advice on exploring some of the commercial options is a good one.

I hope a few other wedding photographers weigh in here.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:16:48 PM »
I still included a 12×8 album with packages minimum. A great album is the best way to get referral weddings as that album usually travels places to many eyes.

akphotograph

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 03:37:42 PM »
I still provide an album with each package. I use a 12x12 acrylic cover album as an incentive for my top package. Something about holding that album in your hand..

Mike

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 03:37:42 PM »