December 22, 2014, 03:44:45 PM

Author Topic: Trying to start a Photography Business but surrounded by amateurs!  (Read 16977 times)

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to start a Photography Business but surrounded by amateurs!
« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2014, 08:23:51 AM »
Creating a brand for your photography is critical to allow you to price yourself to a respective degree. There are too many photographers who are willing to work for free just because they can or for the purpose of practice.

+1
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: July 18, 2014, 08:23:51 AM »

Logan

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2014, 12:24:49 AM »
Hey Scott, after reading through the responses here, I have a website you may want to visit that may help you:

unappropriate link

You probably try to be funny, but I think this reply is quite inappropriate. Although I agree with most of the criticism being given here, we have to give kudos to Scott for his courage to provide a link to his Flickr after having received such strong feedback. He doesn’t walk away from his critics, which –in my view– is a brave thing. He also tries not to take it personally, but to learn from the feedback. With your reply, you are making it personal.

Furthermore, I would not see how he would be helped with addresses in the US, as he lives in the Scotland, which is in the UK (not sure if you are aware of that).

I would speak for you, if you would edit your comment.

whooosh - that joke went way over your head. in north america, when someone gets insulted or teased it can be called a "burn", as in 'you got burned'. when someone has a lot of burns (9 pages worth), it is best to consult a burn center. since its a joke, the location of the burn center is really irrelevant. after 9 pages of insulting the guy in various ways, theres really not much more to be said other than to crack jokes.

raptor3x

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2014, 01:47:39 AM »
Likewise, some do HDR for the express purpose of a slightly surreal, dramatic effect.

I believe this is known as the HDR hole.
Bodies: 1Ds3,5D3,X-T1,A7R Lenses:  16-35L F4 IS, X 18-55 2.8-4, Σ 35 1.4 A, 35 2.8 FE, Σ 50 1.4 A, 24-70L II, 85 1.8, 100L IS, 135L,  70-200L F2.8 IS II

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2014, 01:50:10 AM »
HDR is a lot like a woman wearing makeup -- it should not be immediately obvious it is being used.

If you look at a woman and the first thought is "wow, she is wearing a lot of make up"  She is doin it wrong.
If you look at a photograph and the first thought is "wow, that's some HDR" you is doin it wrong.

It should be difficult to tell if an photograph was or was not HDR, if it is done well.  All the viewer should notice is "wow that's a pretty photograph/woman."

;D

+1

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2014, 01:50:25 AM »
HDR is a lot like a woman wearing makeup -- it should not be immediately obvious it is being used.

If you look at a woman and the first thought is "wow, she is wearing a lot of make up"  She is doin it wrong.
If you look at a photograph and the first thought is "wow, that's some HDR" you is doin it wrong.

It should be difficult to tell if an photograph was or was not HDR, if it is done well.  All the viewer should notice is "wow that's a pretty photograph/woman."

;D

In both cases you must add "unless it's being done for dramatic effect."  Some women (and a few men) wear heavy makeup for dramatic effect, like wearing bright, colorful clothes.  Likewise, some do HDR for the express purpose of a slightly surreal, dramatic effect.  Both are personal choices.  I'm not a huge fan of either in most cases, though I've seen a few examples that were quite well done.

+1

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2014, 01:55:27 AM »
For model shots, Katerina Plotnikova is a source of inspiration. Don't worry, when it says "Adult content", it just means model's skin is visible, but she succeeds walking a very thin line on not being offensive of any way.

Who tags as A.C.? Can anyone flag an image? Because unless it is some people having fun messing with her site I don't get the tags. The few I saw while scrolling through (and it was a pain to have to keep clicking to unlock every few shots for no good reason at all) showed no skin other than bare feet, ankles and face and actually showed even less skin than most not tagged as A.C. Confused.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2014, 01:55:27 AM »