September 17, 2014, 07:44:09 PM

Author Topic: Lens rental advice for F1 Grand-Prix in Canada  (Read 669 times)

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
  • Amateur photon abductor
    • View Profile
Lens rental advice for F1 Grand-Prix in Canada
« on: May 14, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'll be at Montréal's F1 Grand-Prix in a few weeks and I'll be shooting some of it. I've been there a few times before and shot with various crop bodies and lenses combinations . For photos of the cars, the seat I have allows access to at least one good photo spot. I own the Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS and never really liked it. Moreover, it is too short getting anything but the closest corner and pit exit. (I actually wonder why I still haven't put it for sale...) Last year, I rented the 100-400L and really liked the lens a lot. However, I would have liked a bit more reach for getting some additional point of views. Therefore, I was having a look at renting a Tamron 150-600 or Sigma 150-500. Now here are the questions I have:

1 - Does anybody knows of somewhere to rent the Tamron in Canada? (I haven't found any by googling around...)
2 - If I can't find a Tamron, would the Sigma offer anything better than a cropped image from the 100-400?(remember I already shoot a crop body - 60D - so I may already be pushing the envelope...)

Note: I can rent the 100-400 or Sigma for about the same amount.

Thanks.
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

canon rumors FORUM

Lens rental advice for F1 Grand-Prix in Canada
« on: May 14, 2014, 10:22:00 AM »

David_in_Seattle

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Lens rental advice for F1 Grand-Prix in Canada
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 11:50:48 AM »
Sorry, I was unable to find a place that shipped to Canada for renting the Tamron.

If you're gonna use a super telephoto lens then i definitely recommend using a monopod for added stability.  It also helps for quick panning as the cars pass by.
David Cuerpo, Jr. | Media Producer | Expedia Inc.
Cameras: 1Dx, 5Dmk3, 60D
Lenses: 8-15 Fisheye, 16-35 f2.8, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 24-70 f2.8 v2, 17 TSE, 24 TSE, 50 f1.2, 85 f1.2, 90 TSE, 100 f2.8 IS, 70-200 f2.8 IS v2, 200 f2 IS, 300 f2.8 IS

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 11:59:30 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'll be at Montréal's F1 Grand-Prix in a few weeks and I'll be shooting some of it. I've been there a few times before and shot with various crop bodies and lenses combinations . For photos of the cars, the seat I have allows access to at least one good photo spot. I own the Canon 70-300 F4-5.6 IS and never really liked it. Moreover, it is too short getting anything but the closest corner and pit exit. (I actually wonder why I still haven't put it for sale...) Last year, I rented the 100-400L and really liked the lens a lot. However, I would have liked a bit more reach for getting some additional point of views. Therefore, I was having a look at renting a Tamron 150-600 or Sigma 150-500. Now here are the questions I have:

1 - Does anybody knows of somewhere to rent the Tamron in Canada? (I haven't found any by googling around...)
2 - If I can't find a Tamron, would the Sigma offer anything better than a cropped image from the 100-400?(remember I already shoot a crop body - 60D - so I may already be pushing the envelope...)

Thanks.

Have you considered the 400F5.6???? It is much sharper than the Sigmas... definitely sharper than the Tamron, but does not have the zoom or the IS.
The best camera is the one in your hands

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 01:20:39 PM »
Sorry, I was unable to find a place that shipped to Canada for renting the Tamron.

If you're gonna use a super telephoto lens then i definitely recommend using a monopod for added stability.  It also helps for quick panning as the cars pass by.

Hi,

Thanks for having a look. I do use a monopod, at least when space permits.
What a mess, my camera's sensor is full of massless particules that keep on trying to behave like waves!

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 01:31:16 PM »
Hi everyone,

Have you considered the 400F5.6???? It is much sharper than the Sigmas... definitely sharper than the Tamron, but does not have the zoom or the IS.

Hi Don,

Thanks for the hint. I did consider a prime supertele. They sure appear to have unmatched IQ. However, if I don't go for the added reach from the Tamron or Sigma, I think that the 100-400L zoom will be my choice. Its zoom capability is really an asset since I'm quite limited in terms of places that I can shoot from. It allows for more variety in framing-point of view combinations.

One thing I should do however is bring a polarizing filter to cut through the reflections on the visors...

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 03:28:26 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks.

The problem is that you are not going to like the images from those lenses at 500mm, they are not sharp.  You have to dial back to 400mm, and then they are still not as good as the 100-400.

You will also want fast AF, and probably a zoom. 

I think the Canon 200-400mm is perfect for your situation.  Flip in the TC, and it zooms to 560mm, or it will zoom out to 200mm with the TC out.  I'm expecting that Lens Rental Canada (Owned by Canon Rumors)  has them for rent.  Rent a 1D MK IV or a 1D X to go with it. 

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 08:22:02 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks.

The problem is that you are not going to like the images from those lenses at 500mm, they are not sharp.  You have to dial back to 400mm, and then they are still not as good as the 100-400.

I think the Canon 200-400mm is perfect for your situation.  Flip in the TC, and it zooms to 560mm, or it will zoom out to 200mm with the TC out.  I'm expecting that Lens Rental Canada (Owned by Canon Rumors)  has them for rent.  Rent a 1D MK IV or a 1D X to go with it.

the tamron is razor sharp at 500 its just a bit softer at 600 but still perfectly usable
the bigger issue is lack of panning mode IS for motorsport. So panning techinquie is critical with the tamron
with zero forgiveness.

since its renting, just rent the 200-400 forget the low end stuff since you are not buying it
and while you are at it rent a 1DX, the AF of the 60D is going to hurt you more than anything else check the F1 thread in the sports images section for more advice.
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 08:22:02 PM »

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 09:47:55 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks.

the tamron is razor sharp at 500 its just a bit softer at 600 but still perfectly usable
the bigger issue is lack of panning mode IS for motorsport. So panning techinquie is critical with the tamron
with zero forgiveness.

since its renting, just rent the 200-400 forget the low end stuff since you are not buying it
and while you are at it rent a 1DX, the AF of the 60D is going to hurt you more than anything else check the F1 thread in the sports images section for more advice.

Thanks, I was actually one of the first contributor to the F1 thread and to the motorsport thread that followed. I was the first to post images there. Seriously, I won't pay 2/3 of the price of a 100-400L to rent a 1dx and 200-400 for a week. Moreover, I'm not familiar with those and I doubt 8'd have enough time to bring the 1dx to a point where I could hope of making better photos. I've been pretty happy with the 60d in the past GPs. I'll just be shooting for fun and personal souvenirs.

The areas I want to improve are reach, use slower shutter for panning (I have a low keeper rate under 1/160-200) and use a polarizer to cut through visor reflections.

I can afford a GP in my home town, but money is a concern for me.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 09:59:55 PM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks.

with zero forgiveness.

Thanks, I was actually one of the first contributor to the F1 thread and to the motorsport thread that followed. I was the first to post images there. Seriously, I won't pay 2/3 of the price of a 100-400L to rent a 1dx and 200-400 for a week. Moreover, I'm not familiar with those and I doubt 8'd have enough time to bring the 1dx to a point where I could hope of making better photos. I've been pretty happy with the 60d in the past GPs. I'll just be shooting for fun and personal souvenirs.

The areas I want to improve are reach, use slower shutter for panning (I have a low keeper rate under 1/160-200) and use a polarizer to cut through visor reflections.

ah ok then just buy the tamron
APS-H Fanboy

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 01:08:49 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks.

with zero forgiveness.

You, its your best low cost choice, but it focuses painfully slowly and hunts a lot at 600mm, so you may find that it does not support high speed AF.  Its good for still objects though.  Its good to learn to manually focus anyway.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2014, 05:38:43 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks.

with zero forgiveness.

You, its your best low cost choice, but it focuses painfully slowly and hunts a lot at 600mm, so you may find that it does not support high speed AF.  Its good for still objects though.  Its good to learn to manually focus anyway.
I found its AF stunningly good on the 5Dmk3 i mean it utterly smokes the 70-200 f2.8 II + 2X TC mk3 combo
in every way except it has no panning mode on IS
Servo Tracking was like glue even through fences and when the car went completely out of view but re-emerged
I had no hunting problems only on maybe half a dozen occasions it just would not lock focus on anything but a refocus at close range then back to distant cleared it up, its a wierd kind of glitch.
But you have to have the focus limiter on if its trying to focus the whole range AF is dog slow but with the focus limiter is as quick as anything else i've ever used (I've never used any new gen great whites :( )

I have to say the tamron is an amazing lens for the money
APS-H Fanboy

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 11:01:48 AM »
Thanks guys,

As I can't afford buying a lens this year, even at an exceptional quality/price ratio, I'll stick to renting. And as it appears the Tamron is not available for rental for Canadians, and there does not seem to be much in favor of the Sigma 150-500 over 400mm over the 100-400L, I'll probably rent the latter again.

If anyone else has an input, I am still open to suggestions until I the end of the week where I'll put the rental order.

Here are a few pics I took last year with the 100-400. Not pro level but I'm satisfied. I need to keep on my post processing skills however, there I'm not satisfied. May be the answer lies in less post-processing...

Edit - I moved the images to http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=18814.120 as I felt that they were better suited there.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 03:54:04 PM by IMG_0001 »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 07:10:56 AM »
what does the 200-400 cost to rent for a day there?
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2014, 07:10:56 AM »

lion rock

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2014, 07:59:24 AM »
I used LensProtoGo.com last February.  Rented a Canon 200-400 for 2 weeks.  Excellent rental agency.  They didn't require 3rd party insurance which I wasn't able to get locally, and they recommended a company which charges high insurance rate with all sorts of information to get the lens insured.
 LensProtoGo was exceedingly pleasant and helpful when I talked to them on the phone.  They run rental discount periodacally, so may be you can check with them, as well as to find out whether they ship to Canada.  Never hurts to ask!
Good luck and enjoy your Canadian trip.  Post some photos when you can.
-r

IMG_0001

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 10:03:26 AM »
what does the 200-400 cost to rent for a day there?

I'll be there for three days, possibly four if I get to the pit day on Thursday. Four days rental is 411$+tx, 7 days 540$, 10 days 720$. Four days rental is just shy of the tickets for the whole race weekend. I can't afford that, even though I'd really like to try this lens.

Not to mention that I'll feel like I need this lens when I'll send it back so I will cost me another 11000$.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2014, 10:03:26 AM »